“Perfect Weekend”

Ranked #66 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Columbia MD, US
“Perfect Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

I met 2 former high school friends here for a long weekend in May. We each had our own rooms and each was delighted. The hotel is lovely, the rooms very large and well appointed with lovely linens, a very modern bathroom, flat screen tv and minibar/refrigerator. Each room was configured a little differently, but all were wonderful. Both the reservation process and check-in were friendly and efficient. Everyone was super helpful.

The hotel is not located right downtown, but is near the intersection of Connecticut Ave. and Calvert Street. There is a metro stop about 1 block away, on the Red Line. Restaurants line both sides of the street. You can chose your cusinne--from Afghan to Italian and everything in between. The area is safe and vibrant . We enjoyed the outdoor cafes and people-watching, and the downtown area with museums and monuments was just a quick metro ride away. Although we didn't visit it, the National Zoo is also in the neighborhood.

We thought the hotel restaurant prices were a bit high, so we opted for the local cafes for breakfast and dinners.

One friend drove her car and parked it at the hotel lot, which I think was about $28 a day.

I really recommend this hotel. It's huge and does a lot of conventions and business meetings, but was perfect for 3 women friends as well. My next visit will be to take my husband there for a long weekend.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
What a delight for us to hear that you and your friends were able to enjoy such a wonderful weekend at the Omni Shoreham. We will look forward to you returning with your husband and please let us know if there is anything we can do to make that stay more enjoyable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

The hotel looks great from the outside and the rooms are spacious, comfortable and well maintained.
Robert's Resturant is a great place to endulge in various cuisines.

• Liked — Luxurious Rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially your meals in Robert's restaurant. We hope that you will return again soon.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

We stayed at the Omni Shoreham for 4 nights in May, 2009. It is a large, lovely hotel, with a grand entrance and warm, welcoming staff. We had a king bed room, which was large and the bed was very comfortable. There is a bed turndown service each night. The bathroom wasn't large, but large enough with a shelf to store toiletry items. The swimming pool area is very pretty, and the pool is large. Join the Omni Loyalty Programme online, which is free, an you get free WIFI and 2 free drinks each morning at a time of your choosing, along with a newspaper.The hotel isn't in the heart of the heart of the city's attractions, but you are a very short walk from Woodley Park subway and within 15 minutes you are at The Mall. It is 3 stops to Metro Central, where you either change lines for 2 more stops, or walk to wherever you are going, we did it both ways and it was easy. By the way, Woodley Park Station has the longest escalator I have every seen, there is a lift if that bothers you. There are many shops and restaurants next to the station, we ate at Medaterra ( recommend the Hummus entree ) and Open City, both of which were great. We loved the area, it was very safe and everything you need is there. We didn't eat at the hotel, but there is a restaurant and the prices didnt look too bad, there is also a deli for sandwiches and snacks, and a gift shop also. Valet parking is $28 a day, there is some street parking but you can't count on it, especially during the week. We loved The Omni, and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Australia07
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
We are appreciative of your gracious review of the Omni Shoreham. It sounds as if you were able to take advantage of our lovely neighborhood and our easy access to all of the local attraction. We hope that on your next trip to Washington, DC we will be your hotel of choice.
Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2009

We travel yearly to DC and it was the first time at this hotel. We stayed here due to its proximity to the park and Adams Morgan. Pros: Great neighborhood. Great view of the park from the room. Huge closets. Comfy bed. The flowers in the lobby were beautiful and the robes and evian water were a nice touch. Cons: I left the first room because it smelled of "baby diapers," and they immediately gave us a new room, but the 2nd room smelled similarly. I assumed that it must have been their cleaning supplies as the room was spotless. After much investigation, I discovered the "baby powderish" smell in the AC filter. I suspect that they sprayed some scented substance on the filter. Hopefully they will desist using this product as it smelled like a nursery or a nursing home: a very negative association of spoiled diapers that permeated the room and tainted my whole experience of the hotel. Good thing I like the neighborhood, because I avoided the room. Shame as I am sure it would have been a perfectly, charming room otherwise. The elevator bell could be easily heard in our room which disturbed our morning sleep--seems easy to fix by disabling the bells as no one should need a bell to tell them the elevator arrived--the sight and the sound of the door opening should suffice.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpinozasLens
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your priceless comments regarding your stay at  the Omni Shoreham Hotel. We would like you to know that we take your feedback very seriously and share every comment with our management and staff. Please know that your particular comment was used in our daily meetings to highlight our successes and those areas that need greater attention. We appreciated the positive feed back about our historic and beautiful property, thank you! Please accept our sincerest apologies for the smell in your room. We had the engineers inspect a new filter and a used one and confirmed that filters can be the source of the smell and we are looking closer into the issue. We are glad that we were able to move you to another room to alleviate the problem. As to the elevator chime, we are working with our Director of Engineering to reduce the volume of the arrival bell on the elevators.  Thank you again for assisting us in providing a better product. It is because of guest’s insightfulness and effort to provide feedback that we can continue to be a top rated luxury property.
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2009

Upon arrival at the Omni Shoreham a hotel employee met us at the taxi, handed me a luggage ticket & stated "you can check in & I will bring your luggage to your room". I left him with the luggage believeing he would retrieve everything from the taxi cab's trunk. He brought the bags to our room & placed them against a wall. Within seconds, I noticed my black carry-on was missing. I immediately opened the door to ask about the bag, but he was already gone. At this time, I contacted the front desk & informed the hotel employee of my situation. I informed her that I was sure the bag was left in the trunk of the taxi. I was placed on hold several times as the employee told me she was talking to her supervisor & making documentation in the computer of my loss. She finally returned to the phone and told me the hotel would call the taxi commission & report the incident on my behalf. After numerous attempts to work through this unfortunate occurence with the hotel & the taxi commission using the suggested protocol for the lost items, I have received no satisfaction in expecting to retrieve my bag which was left in the trunk of a Fairway cab by the hotel's employee. I believe the hotel is libel for my loss due to the fact the hotel employee gave me a card & established he was responsible for the luggage at the hotel & failed to remove the bag from the taxi. I also believe if the hotel had reacted responsibly my bag might have been retrieved in a shorter given time period. I realize a piece of luggage may seem insignificant to some people, but inside that bag was videos & pictures on cameras that are priceless to my family & I. Money my family had saved for this experience, and medications I as a cancer patient rely on daily. Perhaps I would feel better about my washington D.C experience if there seemed to be any concern or care on behalf of the hotel instead of attempts to either bully or pacify me until I give up on recovery of the contents of my lost luggage.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

Up to this point, the Omni Hotel is the most beautiful hotel that I've ever stayed at! The beds were plushy and comfortable - morning room service was fantastic. The building is old and you get the feel of that when you're in your room, but the rooms still felt comfortable and clean. In the warmer months, walking distance isn't an issue at all, but you do have to walk a bit to the subway entrances. Staff were all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank dulinh
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
We are delighted to hear that you had such an amazing stay at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. We hope that you will return again soon.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

The Omni Shoreham was great to stay at. Quite good rates for such a plush hotel. The rooms were large and well equipped with really comfortable beds with brand new mattresses, down pillows, large LCD TV's, small fridge, marble bathroom etc. The service was friendly, although they did make an error with the bill which they immediately corrected. I would happily stay there again. My only problem was not with the hotel or the surrounding area (which had plenty of shops and good restaurants and cafes and convenience stores), but the fact that the Metro station (Woodley Park/Adams Morgan) is so deep it takes a few minutes to ride the escalator to the platform. This can get annoying if it has to be done often. However, the DC circulator, for $1 per ride, can take you into DC quite efficiently and leaves just nearby, as does the hop-on/hop-off bus..

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Roddlez
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Omni Shoreham. It is always a pleasure for us to hear from a guest that enjoyed their stay with us. If you do return and are hesitant to use the escalators at the Woodley Park Metro there is an elevator about a half a block up Connecticut Avenue that can be used as an alternative. If you are back in D.C. again we hope you will once again choose to stay at the Omni Shoreham Hotel.