“Handicapped? Stay somewhere else”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Texas
“Handicapped? Stay somewhere else”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

My wife and I booked here for 7 nights. Since I am severely handicapped, I requested a handicapped room. When we checked in, we were shown to a spacious room and assured it was a handicapped room. The hotel apparently considers a large room with a roll-in shower as a handicapped room. The room had a STANDARD HEIGHT toilet with NO GRAB BARS anywhere in the room except in the shower 5 feet away. Each time I used the facilities, I had to call the front desk to send someone from security to help me get back into my wheelchair. We asked to be changed to a real handicapped room and was told they would see what they could do. But NOTHING was done. We checked out after 2 days and went home. Hotel would NOT refund a pro-rata portion of our prepaid fees.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
northern ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2009

This hotel is excellent!!!! Very clean, and the staff are simply great. Upon our arrival at hotel, the bell boys helped us in with our bags and when we checked in (which was very fast and hasslefree) they were able to help us up to our room with our bags.

We were staying on the 5th floor and the view from our window was magnificent. We were overlooking the beautiful gardens of the hotel, and in the distance we could see the Washington Monument which was beautiful. Our room was something else... it was quite simply extraordinary. I think it was one of the biggest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in and it was so spacious and immaculately clean. The maids were in each day to clean the room and change sheets/towels etc and it was a very pleasant stay.

The hotel is located close to a subway station which was so handy for us, and it was also one of the Wahington DC, Hop On Hop Off bus stops, so was even better, 'cos all we had to do was walk outside the hotel and wait for the bus. The hotel is very stylish and has plenty of facilities - gym, sauna, spa, coffee shop, gift shop, jewellers and others. Unfortunately we didn't get time to use the gym but it looked magnificent and wasn't too expensive.

Overall this hotel met all our needs and we would certainly recommend it to others and if we ever return to Washington DC in the future, we will certainly return to the Omni.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank albert82bob87
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
Thank you so much for your glowing review of the Omni Shoreham. We aren't sure we could have written a better description of the hotel ourselves! It is a delight for us to hear of your wonderful stay and we will look forward to having you return.
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 16 June 2009

What I like in american hotels is their spaciousness, something that we lack in Europe. I don't know if this is true for all hotels, but at least in those I have stayed so far their room sizes are those of a European suite. Omni is no exception, I had a very large room with the garderobe en suite and a small bath but well fitted and nice view to the pool and the city. The bed was good for a relaxing sleep because I attended an all day conference in the hotel. I can't say about the food because my room was reserved without breakfast but there are plenty of little eateries nearby full of hotel guests, they serve fast food type food not specifically to the taste of Europeans (pre-fried potatoes, hamburgers). I went once to the Open City Cafe but the service was bad, had to wait and to order twice, I was brought burnt fries and a tasteless hamburger. The waitress accepted to take back the fries but she came back with another dish of also burnt fries!!

The hotel staff was friendly despite the frenzy of 850 conference guests, and particularly the staff of the reception would make the extra mile to assist guests. I should also mention that on the first night I was given a room on the first floor just above the kitchen exhaust. Never accept a room in this hotel floor/area, the room smelled burnt oil, the noise is unbearable and the view awful (exhausts and brick terrace, but next morning I asked another room and I was offered the one on the seventh.

The hotel is huge and indeed the elevators were crowded, we had often to queue for them, particularly on the days when two large conferences were taking place in the hotel. Regarding cleanliness, I am sorry to mention that behind the armchair near the bed I found the first day a plastic cup, a dime and a piece of paper. These were there also three days later when I checked out. This means that the cleaner just superficially cleans what can be easily seen and not thoroughly.

As for the distance to downtown yes it is a problem, despite the fact that the metro is nearby because the metro line is not very frequent, there is also a bus but it takes longer to downtown. As the hotel is also expensive I would not choose it, if I can.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Mineral Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I came to DC for a business meeting with my partner. The meeting was held at this hotel, which is very easily reached by metro (Woodley Park Station).

We arrived and checked right in. The person who checked me in was very friendly and the room was spacious.

We had a one-bedroom suite which was large enough to have a dance recital in. Actually, it was so big the furniture looked to small for it. The bed and linens were so wonderful and everything smelled very fresh. The bathroom was nice but nothing extraordinary. However, it was kept spotlessly clean every single day, and when the turn down service came around, they even tidied up the bathroom again. The rooms had decent lighting and good blackout curtains for sleep. It was such a wonderful experience. Oh, and the concierge, valets, bellmen, were all cordial and professional. I would always stay at this hotel when in DC.

Treat yourself and stay here. I'm sure there are other good hotels, too, of course. If you get the chance, stay at this hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank jmdc1
OmniMgr, manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
How fortunate for us that your business brought you to our hotel. We take so much pride in the details of our service and are glad to see it reflected in your stay. We appreciate your recommendation of us and we hope that you will treat yourself to another stay soon.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 16 June 2009

The Omni is a very comfortable hotel with a great staff. Spent 9 nights on a business trip. Comfortable rooms and beds. The staff is very accommodating and I love that they deliver hot or cold beverages to your room for free in the morning if you're a Select Guest member. Free Select Guest membership also gets you free wireless internet. Good location with lots of restaurants in the area and close to the metro and Woodley Park Zoo. I really like this hotel.

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Where2GoWhere2go
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
We appreciate your review of the Omni Shoreham. We are happy to know that you were well taken care of by our staff and were able to take advantage of the perks provided by our Select Guest program. If you are back in DC we hope to once again be your host hotel!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Excellent hotel for DC. I checked out various other hotels in the DC area and most were either too expensive or low priced but in bad neighborhoods and the reviews were horrible here. Great Value for the price.. i paid $130 a night and it was well worth it. Excellent service and the rooms were big and nicely decorated. The bathrooms arent that big, but then again youre not sleeping in the bathroom so why does the size matter?!?! .. No bugs at all when i stayed and never had a problem checking in. The hotel IS luxury, so i found the price to be excellent for it being a luxury hotel. Would definitely recommend it to anyone... I will be back and will stay here whenever im in DC

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank HiaRob20
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2009
Thank you for your generous recommendation of the Omni Shoreham. We are honored that we are now your preferred hotel in DC. If you haven't already, make sure you sign up for our Select Guest program so we can reward your loyalty!
north carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I wouldn't recommend the location of this hotel unless you were in the area to visit the National Zoo only. While it's easy enough to travel and not horribly far from the Metro it would be quite a walk. The lobby was beautiful, and while the room was plain, it was tastefully decorated and had quality furniture. I liked that the en suite was off the main door and the bedroom had another door.

I especially enjoyed the pool and the pool bar. Our waitress was excellent and the water was wonderful. Complimentary beverage service (with their member org) was also fantastic. Our visit to the restaurant on property was just OK.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends