“2nd good stay”

Ranked #64 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
essex
“2nd good stay”
Reviewed 26 September 2009

This was our 2nd stay at this hotel. On arrival the receptionist was excellent, however we had requested a garden view room and we did not get this. Our room was actually much smaller than last visit, bt the bed was comfortable. shower powerful and we had all we needed. Our only complaint is probably the same as when we stayed 3 years ago nad that is the large numbers of corporate customers staying here. I realise that a hotel of this size cannot possibly survive on the tourist trade, but during our stay there was 2 conferences each day with over 100 delegates at each one. Unfortunately the large majority of these people see the tourist as an inconvenience and are rude and bad mannered. If you are unlucky enough to want to use the lift when one of their seminars has just finished, expect to wait ages for a lift and get ready to be barged out of the way. Obviously do not teach delegates to wait their turn. We did not eat at the hotel, we found the Open City, across the road great again for breakfast, but not so good for dinner. However Murphys next to Open City was very good in the evenings, great atmosphere and good menu.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Very large hotel with lovely large rooms, very close to lots of different outside resturaunts and subway station just two stops from central Washington. Good discount if you book more than 14 days ahead but non refundable. Join the Omni Select rewards programme before you arrive and you get free WiFi and free room service coffee and juice for breakfast. Add $3 for a HUGE croisant and you have a cheap breakfast in your room. Good value for money in a very nice area. Outside dining available in the garden weather permitting.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2009
Please accept our gratitude for your glowing review of the Omni Shoreham. Your breakfast tip for future travelers is a great one! Thank you again for your review and we hope you will stay at the Omni Shoreham again in the near future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I stayed in the Omni Shoreham for a week in August. I had lived in the neighborhood, but never had the pleasure of visiting the hotel. I was really pleased by the service. I had an enormous room with a great bed, big TV, and a good bathroom. It even had an entryway. I really appreciated the professionalism of the staff. I had a very good room service experience. They were also very cooperative when I wanted to check out a little late, and the baggage storage was very well handled. I got a really good deal on the rate, but will definitely make an effort to stay there again at the future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
We are glad you finally had the opportunity to experience a stay at the Omni Shoreham. It is so nice for us to hear how well you were treted by our associates. We will look forward to your next stay with us.
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 21 September 2009

This past weekend I had my first (and last) visit to the Omni Shoreham. I've stayed at Omnis in a number of other cities and have had some wonderful treatment, so I assumed I would have a similar experience at the Shoreham. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I made my reservations over a week in advance, and having read other reviews here, decided to request a garden view room. The day before my trip I called to confirm that request was noted. The room was not ready at check in time. I was told I would have to wait to get a garden view and that they were preparing one on the 7th floor. It was 4:15 (check in is 3:00) when I finally got a call that the room was ready. I returned to the hotel and was slightly confused when they gave me a keycard for a room on the 5th floor. When I got to the room, the view did not face a garden, but rather, a series of ventilation shafts on a roof and the opposite interior side of the building. I returned to the front desk and was first told that no other rooms were available, in spite of overhearing another guest next to me checking in who had just asked for, and been given, an upgrade to a garden view with balcony while I was standing there. I asked to see the manager and she also said there were no other rooms available in the entire hotel, then when I mentioned what I had just heard, she somehow found a room open on the same floor but the other side of the building (no balcony). I asked for an upgrade for the inconvenience since she didn't offer any, but she said the best she could do would be a breakfast voucher. When I got to that room, the bathroom door didn't shut. I was sick of dealing with the front desk at that point and just asked for maintenance to please come and fix it, which they did. I also wondered why I never got my beverage or newspaper selection card since I have been a Select Guest member for 7 years and this is the first time that perk was neglected, nor did the turn down service you normally get with that program happen. To end the visit, check out also provided a surprise. The desk staff tried to charge me a fee for using the treadmill in the fitness center. That fee is a.)not posted in the fitness center, b.)on any reservation confirmation or hotel information, or c.)the bill that is placed beneath your door on the morning you are checking out. It's charged to you as you are about to leave, so check your final bill if you stay here. I won't need to since I will stay elsewhere on future visits.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AllAboutEve08
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2009
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your priceless comments regarding your stay at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. We would like you to know that we take your feedback very seriously and share every comment with our management and staff. Your particular comments were used in our daily meetings to highlight those areas that need greater attention. We especially appreciate your feedback about your check in process. Our sincere apologies for not getting the room you requested and that was promised to you during your first interaction with the front desk staff. From time to time, we run into guests who do not honor our check out time and this puts additional pressure on our front desk to meet the needs of our incoming guests. We would also like to offer our apologies that your Select Guest benefits were not delivered as expected. There is no excuse as to why we missed this and regret that this along with the other mishandled aspects of your stay has tainted your view of our hotel. Thank you again for assisting us in providing a better product and we hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future. It is because of guest’s insightfulness and effort to provide feedback that we can continue to be a top rated luxury property.
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Stayed for four nights and overall found it a great hotel, queen rooms a little small but great facilities in them. Found one member of the reception staff very abrupt. Gardens and pool area are beautifull and hotel is in a very nice area. Would definately stay there again

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2009
Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Omni Shoreham. Although we are disappointed that our front desk associate came off as abrupt we appreciate your compliments of Alphonso and will be sure to share them with him. Thank you for your review and we will look forward to welcoming you back.
Sacramento
Reviewed 18 September 2009

The Omni is a '30's vintage hotel with all the trimmings - great staff, fine dining, extra-personal service, and great rooms.

The Hotel is on a very large, well-landscaped property, has a great pool w/2 spas (one for small children, one for adults), excellent room service (although pricey - but hey, it's room service), nice perks if you join their "Select Member" club (for free).
Advice: ask for the AAA rate when booking - it saved us over $80 per night!!!

The Hotel restaurant is also pricey but serves excellent food. There is also abundant restaurants within a 3 block radius (we especially enjoyed Meditarra and City (something) coffeeshop on the adjacent corner. You're also only 2 blcoks from the Metro station - an excellent and inexpensive way to get to all the major sights.

Also - special kudos to Alphonso, a very helpful/knowledgable concerige!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MervHayes
We appreciate all of your compliments from your recent stay at the Omni Shoreham. You have great advice for future travelers. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for writing a review. We hope you will be back again soon.
WI
Reviewed 17 September 2009

The front desk lied about rooms several times. Beware, get your room no. ahead of time, as thery give u rooms on the basis of your appearance.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to learn you did not have you preferred room type and for this issue we apologize. Please note that we block rooms based on guests booking arrangements but are unable to give room numbers prior to check in. Our goal has always been to create memorable experiences four our guests and we hope to see you back with us again.