“Great historic hotel in a real neighborhood”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #78 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights last week. I got a fantastic price of $135 per night plus taxes (adds $20 a night) by pre-booking directly with the hotel. Our room was on the 7th floor with 2 queen beds. For the money, or even more, I think this hotel is gem and we loved the fact that it was in a neighborhood, but still had lots of shops, restaurants, and services nearby and that were all open late. It sure beats staying on Capitol Hill or near the Convention Centers where everything is concrete and there are no green spaces or people after 6 or 7 at night. In DC you can still walk or take public transit anywhere within about 30 minutes, so its no inconvenience at all to stay by the Zoo like it was in the 90s.

Pros:
-Location: 1 block from the Woodley Park Metro, DC Circulator, and other busses, within 2 blocks of at least 20 different restaurants from fast food to Thai, Chinese, Indian, Lebanese, Italian, and American foods, CVS drug store, and a little supermarket. Hotel is at Calvert and Connecticut, so within walking distance to Cleveland Park, Adams Morgan, and Dupont Circle areas, and Metro distance everywhere else
-Fitness: Very extensive fitness center with tons of machines, free weights, 3 separate swimming areas (including resort-style drink / food service), proximity to Rock Creek Park.
-Rooms: Extremely comfortable beds, mini fridge, large windows, high ceilings, coffee maker, safe, reading lights attached to the headboard, and a desk area.
-General: nice spacious lobby, free access to print boarding passes, ability to join rewards program and get free internet in the room, plus a late check out, the property is historic so there are all kinds of beautiful touches and lots of character throughout.
-Came with free drinks and newspaper delivered to our room each morning (i.e. juices, coffee or water).

CONS:
-Internet service is really slow (but then again, it was free)
-Elevators were slow (we took the stairs to the 7th floor several times because we got tired of the 10+ minute waits associated with only 4 elevators)
-It costs $28 per night to park your rental car and there is ZERO street space
-We asked for a microwave, which was not honored
-Even though the rooms are large, the layouts are a little inefficient, which basically meant there was no space for extra chairs or anything else to sit on except the bed
-Twice the housekeeping came after 5pm, which was annoying because we'd come back after a day out to relax before dinner but had no clean towels.
-Way too much chlorine in the pool bothered everyone.
-No breakfast was included and there was no way I was going to pay $20 per person for their continental breakfast as room service.

Great restaurant finds within a block: Open City, Lebanese Taverna, and Cafe Paradiso.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2010

We stayed at the Omni for 4 nights in July. I chose the hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and we weren't disappointed. Upon check-in I requested a room with a pool view which we were given. The kids loved looking out the window down on the people in the pool.The room was beautifully decorated, on the larger size, with 2 queen beds. The bathroom was a little small but nicely remodeled and it had a window. As other posters have mentioned the airconditioner in the room was somewhat noisy every time it clicked on. I got a good rate with a summer promotion which included buffet breakfast daily for the children on the beautiful porch overlooking the grounds. I also signed up for the Omni rewards program and was able to have drinks and a bagel or English muffin delievered to the room every morning, and free internet service. The outdoor pool was an important feature to us as we used it every day. It tended to be a little crowded later in the afternoon, but one day we swam between 1pm and 5pm and there was hardly anyone else there. The location is close to the Metro and Zoo. We loved our stay at the Omni!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We've spent our last two anniversary celebrations at the Omni Shoreham. We had another great visit last weekend. They pay great attention to detail! It was nice to be treated like royalty even though we are just regular working individuals. Scott and everyone else at the concierge desk was great. The welcome gifts and excellent food at Roberts Restaurant were additional bonuses. The upgrade to a king suite was not too shabby either:)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2010

This is my second stay at the Omni Shoreham in DC in the past two years. While I find it has a certain charm due to its history, and its location is ideal (near a Metro station and within walking distance of Adams Morgan district), I find this hotel is seriously deluded in its grandeur. For a 'luxury' hotel, it has several aspects which require immediate attention:

1. The room service is appalling - my room was NEVER cleaned during the 4 day stay. Although housekeeping called me several times to ask if I would like my room cleaned, and I responded that I would at least like the bed made and bathroom cleaned, my room was never cleaned. When I notified the main desk of this issue, I was treated as though I was asking for some above-and-beyond request. Since ALL other hotels I have stayed at offer a simple maid service, I feel it should be expected that a 'luxury' hotel would offer the same service, if not more.

2. I believe the cleanliness of the hotel was not up to par. There were large carpenter ants in my bathroom, and of course, with no maid service to clean the bathroom, they were happy to remain in my bathroom through the remainder of my stay.

3. While I raved about my stay at the Omni two years ago, I feel this hotel has been seriously hit by the suffering economy. Sections of the hotel reek of mold and pieces of the ceiling are missing. For an upscale hotel in the heart of DC, I feel more could be invested in the upkeep of the hotel. Sections of the floor in my room also felt as though they could cave at any moment if I stepped on them too often.

This hotel is not without benefits. The location is excellent and nearby Rock Creek Park and great restaurants and shops. It also has a Metro station only one block away which kept the rest of DC close by. The hotel bar is quite nice and the service very pleasant. The concierge was always helpful and the pool is very well kept and a nice addition during a summer stay.

However, for the price you would typcially pay for this hotel I would safely say it is not worth it. The check-in staff were not particularly friendly and the front desk was appallingly unhelpful in responding to the issues I had. I also feel that if you are willing to charge guests a certain rate that the hotel should be kept to certain standards. With the apparent signs of old age and the smell of mold throughout large sections of the hotel, I do not feel the price is worth the stay. Should the hotel reduce it's rate, I would recommend it. However, as it stands, I cannot in good conscience recommend this hotel to a friend or coworker.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank peenut557
Reviewed 15 August 2010

As a family we stayed here for 3 nights in July 10 and all I can say is "WOW". I walked into the hotel and it was beautiful. The staff were all polite and very professional. The rooms were large and sooooo comfortable. It is in an excellent location and staying there makes you seel so special. Thank you for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I spend most of my traveling and live out of hotels, hence I can provide a fair comparison to the other hotels in DC.
Having heard great reviews about Omni on this site, I booked a room at Omni. I signed up as a loyalty member before, to receive the free goodies - free coffee and internet :-(

Pros
Decent Gym
Starbucks in the lobby
Close to train station

Cons
Inexperienced staff - Fairly rude, if asked to make adjustments (Most of them are only a few months old)
Front Office Manager (Chinese Lady) , refuses to talk to guests, and tries to appear very busy
Bathroom is very small . It even smelled horrible when I got there.
Two slow elevators for a fairly large hotel - I had to wait 10 minutes during rush hours. Had to climb stairs several times.
Very expensive room service, for the quality offered

It might be a family vacation kind of a hotel, but as a business traveler I did not find it appealing, and will not return.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank CalmTraveler_10
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Spouse and I just stayed here for four nights. Picked hotel based on reviews and rate. Because we got a good AAA rate, we were afraid that we would be stuck in a small room with no view. Wrong. Check-in was no problem, and the lobby area is SO beautiful. We
had a corner room on the 6th floor, overlooking the gardens and pool. Large room area, king bed, bathroom with separate tub and shower. Elegant and beautiful. The room was laid out well, corner chair for reading, desk area, large entertainment center with large TV, small fridge and coffee maker, and a closet with a safe. Staff was always friendly and service was impeccable. Surrounding area was busy, but lots of restaurants nearby, including a CVS for incidentals. We walked to the zoo, and took the metro everywhere else. Found the metro easy to use, and fast and efficient. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great location, beautiful accomodations, and great staff. We hated to leave.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple