“Top drawer hotel in a great location....”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Everything you read about this place is true - it is first class all the way. The staff are wonderful - so friendly and helpful but not stuffy at all. The facility is immaculate and the rooms are totally over the top. I had a Premier Park Deluxe room which was the size of an apartment. The bathroom with the open air rain shower was the best.

This hotel is 5 star all the way - if you are looking for a low-key approach to luxury it can't be beat.

One thing I will mention that surprised me about it was that the location is a lot better than you might think for leisure travelers. I had the impression it was amidst a mostly commercial area that was dead at night - it's actually much more residential and an extremely short walk to all that Georgetown has to offer. The Foggy Bottom Metro station is also a brief walk away and can get you to the Nat'l Mall/Downtwon area very easily.

Overall - I hope to stay here again - it was sad to leave!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank MOTraveler010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,925)

Reviewed 28 November 2011

My family and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Park Hyatt Washington and I have to say that it was one of the best! I selected this hotel primarily because of the location (proximity to Georgetown because we were visiting colleges) and also because of the other tripadvisor reviews. We generally stay in 5 star properties and this hotel did not disappoint. In fact, I kept remarking that we just might have had better treatment and service here than in any other hotel, including the Four Seasons and Fairmonts! The service was just that outstanding. The manager Robert and concierge Amy greeted us everytime we came in or out of the hotel, asked us about our day or plans and had so much insight. It was a pleasure to talk to them and to share information. Thanks again Amy for the bottle of wine, cookies and popcorn!!

Since there were 3 of us, when we arrived, we decided to upgrade to the premiere deluxe king and I am so glad that we did. That shower was fantastic, and it was so nice to just stand under the hot water after a long day of walking around DC. The set up of the room is perfect for families because everyone gets privacy. The hotel is sleek and pristine and very clean. I can't wait to return and I am secretely hoping that my child selects a college in the area so that we can make the Park Hyatt our go to spot. Looking into staying with them at other locations as well.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank candicaneadventures
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We just wrapped up a two-day stay at the Park Hyatt - Washington, DC. We decided instead of staying in and cooking, we'd spend our Thanksgiving holiday in a luxe locale. We're local to the DC area and decided to give the Park Hyatt property a try. Overall, I was impressed with our stay--and would certainly return for the right price. : )

Things I Loved:

- Service is impeccable. Everyone from the doorman to the front desk to the room service staff were pleasant and hospitable.
- Premier Deluxe King Room - Well appointed room-- approx 600 sq feet. Modern, minimalist decor. It was clean and seemed generally well maintained. The gal at the front desk was gracious enough to offer us an upgrade from what we had booked which was the Park Deluxe King Room for a small fee. I'm glad we sprung for this.
- Concierge promptly catered to my every little whim--from extra bedding to a mini fridge. : )
- Evening turndown service, water and fresh fruit were nice touches.
- Loved, loved, loved the Bergamote brand tolietries.
- Enjoyed the limestone (?) bath tub and bath salts. Took a bath both evenings of our stay it was so enjoyable.
- Blue Duck Tavern and The Lounge offered a great ambiance. The food and libations were tasty albeit pricey. I ordered a Kobe burger on our first night and evening tea after a night out at the Kennedy Center. The second day, we enjoyed breakfast and in-room dining. All yummy.

Things I Didn't Love:

- I would have liked to have been placed on a higher floor with a better view, if at all possible. The hotel seemed empty so I was hopeful the hotel would give us a room on a higher floor. I got the impression they relegated us all to a few floors on the lower levels out of convenience and ease.
- The carpet in the hallways smelled extremely bad (moist) and are showing a bit of wear. It really rubbed my boyfriend the wrong way. He griped about it the entire stay. The carpet in our room did not smell but was showing wear as well.
- The hot tub was out of order. However, after taking a peek at it, I wasn't sure I wanted to get in any way, so no big deal.
- Overnight valet park was $40+. Fortunately, there was plenty of street parking and a parking garage nearby.
- No free WiFi. This should really be comp for a luxe hotel.

Again, I was happy with my stay and would certainly return. I can't compare it to other Park Hyatt's but the hotel felt elegant and upscale. Thanks, Park Hyatt!

Room Tip: Book a Premier Park Deluxe, Park Suite or better.
1  Thank DiscerningTasty
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Everything about our stay--from the service, to the room (a premiere deluxe king) was sublime. For my birthday, the staff sent up a delicious pastry and then later a bottle of champagne. The bathroom is to die for. Will definitely stay at this property again.

1  Thank heidibidey
PHW-DOR, Director of Rooms at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear HeidiBidey,

I'm glad to hear that we helped make your Birthday a special one!
Wishing you a Happy Belated Birthday and many more to come :-)

Warmest Regards,

Cornelia Samara
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 7 November 2011

My wife and I just wrapped up a weekend stay at the PH DC. It was an award stay, so YMMV (probably for the better). We were given a room on the 8th floor - a Park Deluxe King (their standard room).

Room: Since the Park Hyatt brand is Hyatt's premiere luxury line, I feel compelled to critique it as against similar luxury properties such as other PHs I've stayed at (Paris, Zurich) as well as other luxury properties like Four Seasons and St Regis. But keep in mind that rates at the PH DC can be as low as $169/n - cheaper than the Grand Hyatt across town, and 1/2 the price of the 4S nearby. I can say without reservation that, at that price point, there is NOTHING to complain about. So with that in mind....

The standard rooms are on the small side for a luxury hotel - they feel like retrofitted standard Holiday Inn rooms. However, clever design gives more usable space - the flat screen TV is flush with the interior wall, leaving space for two chairs and a table at the foot of the bed. As a result, you don't feel cramped until you get into the bathroom, which has a single sink and a tub/shower combo that is a bit on the small side. The marble is beautiful and, as always at PH properties, the condiments and details like the makeup mirror are near-perfect in design and function. In keeping with the Americana theme of the whole hotel (leaning towards Shaker), the amenities are stored in lovely shaker boxes. The furniture overall is beautiful and thematic (except for the desk, which looks like it came from Ikea), with duck decoys and pins as accents. Beds in PH properties, and their linens, are always exceptional. What I love about PHs is that nearly every little gizmo is so perfectly chosen that you end up wanting to buy it for home - my wife has already added the hair dryer, the cute little cube alarm clock, and the makeup mirror to her wish list. Free bottled water (in hotel themed bottles) is a nice touch, and the toiletries are great.

The Public areas: The lobby area is small-ish but gorgeously simple, in keeping with the Shaker theme. The spa/gym is oddly located - you can get there without going outside, but you need to go down an industrial staircase to get there. Once inside, it is bright and beautiful with a smallish pool (a little tight for laps) and hot tub with more than ample poolside seating. The gym has adequate workout amenities and chilled towels, and the windowless spa room feels a little operating theater-ish, but is well-appointed.

The Staff: I think this is where every PH seems to shine. In over 100 nights at PHs around the world, I haven't had a bad experience with any staff member. Front desk, restaurants, bellmen, doormen, valets - all friendly, competent, relaxed, funny, and above all helpful. I think they have some sort of international rotation, since the staff is clearly drawn globally, which, in my view, adds to the air of sophistication overall. It helps that the FOH staff all appear to be extremely intelligent, as well. That's a particularly neat trick to pull off in the service industry, but it is a common theme at the PH's I've stayed in.

Restaurants: We ate at the Blue Duck had one breakfast in the lounge area and another via room service. The Blue Duck is a tavern in the classical sense - don't go expecting a Wisconsin-style beer-in-pitchers tavern. It is a fine restaurant with high-but-fair prices with exceptional food - just no tablecloths. The menu draws on American themes, roast meats & vegetables primarily, served in their own copper pans out of a massive open kitchen. Sometimes open kitchens look better in pictures than they are in real life; kitchens are noisy, chaotic scenes which can overwhelm the dining experience. Here, however, the kitchen is set back, and even on a busy Saturday wasn't channeling a two-year-old's birthday party, so never fear. The decor is, again, Shaker-inspired and, to my eye, was beautiful and calming. Clearly they either worked with Thos. Moser, or just blatantly ripped him off, when they did the tables and chairs. Not a bad place to go for inspiration, anyway. Breakfast is the predictable fine-hotel ripoff (coffee, juice, eggs, toast for two - $75). Don't get me wrong - it's tasty and comes with lovely service, but that's always a sting. Room service is another thing PH does well - they can tell you within 2 minutes when your tray will appear. It will always be beautiful, hot and good. But you pay for it, coffee, juice and three pastries will run you more than $35 after tax, mandatory tip, & delivery charge. If you stay at fine properties, this won't be any surprise.

Things that made me go 'hmmm?' - No radio or ipod dock; nice looking but really uncomfortable desk chair, screen-less windows, very confusing dimmer switches, no ottoman for the sitting area, that weird march to the gym, $40/nt parking charge (!), showerhead is low-pressure.

Bottom Line - at $170 - $200 a night, even this small room is a flat-out bargain when you account for the whole experience. I'd definitely come back.

Room Tip: Even front-facing rooms look directly into the Fairmont across the street, so if you need to sleep i...
4  Thank screwjack
Reviewed 2 November 2011

My Hubby and I spent a part of our honeymoon in DC and decided to book a room at the Park Hyatt because of the numerous good reviews it received on TripAdvisor. I just want to say that this hotel has possibly the BEST customer service I've ever experienced. Not only was everyone there extremely friendly, but they resolved every issue I had in a heartbeat. I was especially impressed with my waiter Ray Song in their lobby restaurant, who kept pouring me fresh Hot Coffee in the morning while I was doing some reading. You can tell how well a business operates when everyone working there seems genuinely happy. The rooms here are HUGE, our room had two restrooms, a bedroom and a lounge separated by a door. The hotel itself is in a great location, right next to the White House, the Monument, starbucks, with a CVS is only a few blocks away, and there are tons of cool bars near by. The hotel itself has a cool bar with a great unique cocktail drink selection as well (if you ever go there, try their Spicy pomegranate cocktail <3).

My only issues with the rooms was that the beds dont have Sheets...which I found a little weird. I kept getting hot under the covers and then cold when I removed my covers (the beds themselves were incredibly comfortable to sleep on). I also wasnt happy with our view, it was a view of some pipes and a brick red wall. Finally (and im going to sound a little bratty here), we informed them that we were coming for our honeymoon so I was expecting some sort of romantic set up in the room to welcome us, like small candles or flowers, or even a massage oil gift set ;) I dont think these are issues that should stop anyone from booking a night here. Let them know ahead of time if you want sheets and they will take care of you.

Overall, I have decided to book the rest of my vacations with Park Hyatt. My Husband was very pleased with the hotel as well. I definitely advice people to stay here, you wont be disappointed!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Goli G
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I randomly found this great deal in the summer for Hyatt. The time I stayed, most hotels were very expensive and far away from the DC area. Also, the quality of the hotels I found was mediocre with 3 stars rating. When I found a great deal for Park Hyatt, I booked right away since it is Hyatt.

When I arrived there, I was totally surprised. The quality of this hotel is superior for its price. My deal also included the continental breakfast, which I must say is superior. It is not the typical breakfast at Western or other lower class hotels. The breakfast had a wide range of fruits and breakfast choices. One of the best breakfasts ever.

The interior is very clean and nice. Great atmosphere.
One important detail was that they accept 18+ students. At that time, none of my friends or I were 21 yet, and this was one of the few hotels that accepted 18+ students.

Superior service.