“Excellent service, comfort & location”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #24 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I recently stayed here for a girls' getaway weekend. (we're 34) We had two adjoining rooms and we experienced a great stay.

From the first impression to the last, we were all happy we chose the Park Hyatt! The bellhops, greeters, front desk and concierge staff were all top-notch. As soon as you near the hotel, the bellhops & valet gentlemen are extremely courteous, smiling & eager to help, whether it was w/your luggage or to tell us that Trader Joe's was only a few blocks away. Then inside, the front desk (in our case it was Ann & mgr Jill) were friendly, informative, fast & efficient.

Rooms were very clean, modern and the beds were so comfortable. Sheets, towels, toiletries, glasses, mini bar...everything was perfectly laid out and good quality. The showers are huge! Very spa-like and the rain showerhead was wonderful. We were upgraded to a larger room, and it had a lounging area, chairs, desk, etc which was perfect for a group of friends.

Housekeeping was very efficient and friendly. Next time we'll try the hotel restaurant for dinner--the food & open kitchen looked incredible. We instead ate there for breakfast, as we weren't disappointed. If anything, it was a little too pricey for a breakfast menu, but the portions were large, food was very fresh, and the menu was impressive. We really enjoyed the breakfast.

Location is great, just a few short blocks from Georgetown, Dupont Circle and a bit longer of a walk to see the monuments (20 mins?), White House, etc. There's a Trader Joe's nearby, and some great restaurants. Also, you're just a short walk 5-10 mins, maybe, to the Foggy Bottom metro.

We got an unbeatable deal online for our stay, and I would certainly stay here again. The service, location, and clean modern feel of this hotel sets it apart. Definitely a great hotel for business travelers, conferences, girls/guys' weekend, singles, couples, elderly, although as a mom of 3 small children, I'm not sure this would be the best family hotel for seeing the sights of DC. Maybe not the ideal location and I didn't see lots of families. But if you're traveling w/just a baby, I'd certainly stay here.

Enjoy! We ate at Urbana a few blocks away and the food/service was excellent.

Room Tip: rooms higher up are quieter, as with most hotels! I don't think there's a bad room at this h...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,900)

Reviewed 7 December 2011

I have stayed at this property many times over the past year and, while it struggled a little at the beginning, it really has continuously improved to give the Four Seasons a real run for its money for the title of best hotel in DC, in my humble opinion. The design may take a little getting used to as its very modern and some have said that it places form over function, however I think that is being somewhat harsh and the rooms are actually very well laid out and everything works very well. The service has also risen to superb levels and you get the feeling that the staff really cares about each guest, which is a rare commodity in an American hotel. Beds are some of my favorite hotel beds out there and are very very comfortable. The hotel is also not brand new anymore and has aged very well, it looks as though it could have opened yesterday. Im not too hot on the Bergamont 22 toiletries, but I guess thats just my personal preference. Overall, I could not recommend this hotel more highly and if I were the Four Seasons, I would be very worried.

3  Thank nicholas2121
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I gave this place two stars just because of the Blue Duck Tavern, why?

I spend the week in DC and stayed at 3 hotels, first couple of days had to be with 2 other families at the Four Seasons for Thanksgiving, moved at the Park Hyatt when everybody went home and after moved to the Willard for a meeting.

I booked the Park Hyatt with my Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program. When I got there to check in there was nobody at the front desk, stood for a couple of minutes unitl the concierge saw me standing and decided to help me. Asked him about the Amex hotel amenities that was included he had to go inside and ask the manager about it twice, kinna odd that the manager can't even go out and personally answer the question right. I was even told that with the rate your paying the amenities are its probably included in the price, really?. After a few minutes and finaly finding another receptionist that knew what was going on she gave me my keys.

So I went up my room and was placed on a floor where they were painting the walls and the doors. The paint odor was realy bad to the point that it went inside the room when you opened the door and walking from your room to the elevators you had to hold your breath. ( I have attached pictures to my review showing wet paint signs on the doors in the hallway you had to walk through before you got to your room).

The room itself had a modern touch to it and was ok nothing close to any hotels I stayed under the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program. One of the positive things at this hotel was the room service, the food was warm and was cooked at the Blue Duck Tavern.

Now the Blue Duck Tavern restaurant for me was a different experience, the food was one of the best dishes I had at DC. The you can see them preparing the food with the open kitchen setup which was an added a little touch.

The next day when checking-out I was looking at the bill and the Amex amenity was not taken out, the person at the front desk had to call the supervisor to adjust the prices something most of the hotels I stayed at never had problems. I know that this hotel has all the great reviews in tripadvisor but most of these are probably not using the Amex Fine Resorts and Hotels, if your in the same boat as I am give them a call when you reserve and make sure.

If I were to go back I would just eat at the Blue Duck Tavern restaurant and find another place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
PHW-DOR, Director of Rooms at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2011

Dear eahmail123,

Thank you for your feedback and I'm very sorry & disappointed to hear about your experience. We very much value our partnership with American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts and typically receive great reviews from our guests booking with AMFH. I'm embarassed to hear about your arrival/departure experience and I assure you that this is not the level of service that we're accustomed to giving.
I would be grateful for the opportunity to speak to you in person to get more insight on your experience. I would also love a chance for us to make it up to you. Please email me at cornelia.samara@hyatt.com at your earliest convenience.
Thank you again for your time and I look forward to connecting with you.

With Warmest Regards,
Cornelia Samara
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Everything you read about this place is true - it is first class all the way. The staff are wonderful - so friendly and helpful but not stuffy at all. The facility is immaculate and the rooms are totally over the top. I had a Premier Park Deluxe room which was the size of an apartment. The bathroom with the open air rain shower was the best.

This hotel is 5 star all the way - if you are looking for a low-key approach to luxury it can't be beat.

One thing I will mention that surprised me about it was that the location is a lot better than you might think for leisure travelers. I had the impression it was amidst a mostly commercial area that was dead at night - it's actually much more residential and an extremely short walk to all that Georgetown has to offer. The Foggy Bottom Metro station is also a brief walk away and can get you to the Nat'l Mall/Downtwon area very easily.

Overall - I hope to stay here again - it was sad to leave!

2  Thank MOTraveler010
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My family and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Park Hyatt Washington and I have to say that it was one of the best! I selected this hotel primarily because of the location (proximity to Georgetown because we were visiting colleges) and also because of the other tripadvisor reviews. We generally stay in 5 star properties and this hotel did not disappoint. In fact, I kept remarking that we just might have had better treatment and service here than in any other hotel, including the Four Seasons and Fairmonts! The service was just that outstanding. The manager Robert and concierge Amy greeted us everytime we came in or out of the hotel, asked us about our day or plans and had so much insight. It was a pleasure to talk to them and to share information. Thanks again Amy for the bottle of wine, cookies and popcorn!!

Since there were 3 of us, when we arrived, we decided to upgrade to the premiere deluxe king and I am so glad that we did. That shower was fantastic, and it was so nice to just stand under the hot water after a long day of walking around DC. The set up of the room is perfect for families because everyone gets privacy. The hotel is sleek and pristine and very clean. I can't wait to return and I am secretely hoping that my child selects a college in the area so that we can make the Park Hyatt our go to spot. Looking into staying with them at other locations as well.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank candicaneadventures
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We just wrapped up a two-day stay at the Park Hyatt - Washington, DC. We decided instead of staying in and cooking, we'd spend our Thanksgiving holiday in a luxe locale. We're local to the DC area and decided to give the Park Hyatt property a try. Overall, I was impressed with our stay--and would certainly return for the right price. : )

Things I Loved:

- Service is impeccable. Everyone from the doorman to the front desk to the room service staff were pleasant and hospitable.
- Premier Deluxe King Room - Well appointed room-- approx 600 sq feet. Modern, minimalist decor. It was clean and seemed generally well maintained. The gal at the front desk was gracious enough to offer us an upgrade from what we had booked which was the Park Deluxe King Room for a small fee. I'm glad we sprung for this.
- Concierge promptly catered to my every little whim--from extra bedding to a mini fridge. : )
- Evening turndown service, water and fresh fruit were nice touches.
- Loved, loved, loved the Bergamote brand tolietries.
- Enjoyed the limestone (?) bath tub and bath salts. Took a bath both evenings of our stay it was so enjoyable.
- Blue Duck Tavern and The Lounge offered a great ambiance. The food and libations were tasty albeit pricey. I ordered a Kobe burger on our first night and evening tea after a night out at the Kennedy Center. The second day, we enjoyed breakfast and in-room dining. All yummy.

Things I Didn't Love:

- I would have liked to have been placed on a higher floor with a better view, if at all possible. The hotel seemed empty so I was hopeful the hotel would give us a room on a higher floor. I got the impression they relegated us all to a few floors on the lower levels out of convenience and ease.
- The carpet in the hallways smelled extremely bad (moist) and are showing a bit of wear. It really rubbed my boyfriend the wrong way. He griped about it the entire stay. The carpet in our room did not smell but was showing wear as well.
- The hot tub was out of order. However, after taking a peek at it, I wasn't sure I wanted to get in any way, so no big deal.
- Overnight valet park was $40+. Fortunately, there was plenty of street parking and a parking garage nearby.
- No free WiFi. This should really be comp for a luxe hotel.

Again, I was happy with my stay and would certainly return. I can't compare it to other Park Hyatt's but the hotel felt elegant and upscale. Thanks, Park Hyatt!

Room Tip: Book a Premier Park Deluxe, Park Suite or better.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DiscerningTasty
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Everything about our stay--from the service, to the room (a premiere deluxe king) was sublime. For my birthday, the staff sent up a delicious pastry and then later a bottle of champagne. The bathroom is to die for. Will definitely stay at this property again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heidibidey
PHW-DOR, Director of Rooms at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear HeidiBidey,

I'm glad to hear that we helped make your Birthday a special one!
Wishing you a Happy Belated Birthday and many more to come :-)

Warmest Regards,