“Fabulous hotel, service and food”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #22 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed here unexpectedly when my flight home from Washington was cancelled. I had a tremendous experience!
The hotel staff was extremely courteous and took very good care of us - booking our rooms, making dinner reservations, helping with flight rebooking and transportation. OUTSTANDING service!
The hotel decor is in the Shaker style with a modern, comfortable twist. The rooms are well designed, large and very comfortable, with all amenities you could want. The restaurant offers fabulous food that is perfect for a foodie. The cheese bar and tea cellar are standouts as well.
I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Washington!

Room Tip: Get an even-numbered room - the odd-numbered rooms face an alley with dumpsters that are emptied noi...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LarisaP
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear LarisaP,

Thank you very much for posting about your recent stay at Park Hyatt Washington! While I'm sure it was an inconvenience to have your flight cancelled, I am happy to read that our employees made you feel right at home. Sipping one of our unique teas on a cold night is always a soothing treat. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 14 January 2012

The hotel is modern, with a quiet, elegant and subdued mood to it. The staff were polite and very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. In our room, the aircon was quiet, the water powerful and hot and the toiletries were fabulous. We were upgraded to a suite which we found very comfortable and spacious. We loved the ipod speaker/charger. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in. The restaurant food was divine including breakfast. I never had the feeling we were in a busy noisy hotel at any time. The hotel is about 10 minutes' walk to Georgetown and 10 minutes in a cab to the museums. We would definitely return, no question for leisure or business.

1  Thank London_Travellers_09

Dear London_Travellers_09,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are delighted to read about how much you enjoyed your recent stay, including breakfast, bath amenities and bedding. We actually import our bedding straight from Italy! We partner with Rivolta Carmignani, a family-owned, linen company that has been manufacturing luxury linen since 1867. Glad to hear that you enjoyed them.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

My husband, my 2-year-old son and I stayed at the Park Hyatt for 3 nights last week. We booked a deluxe king room with AAA breakfast promotion; and were upgraded to a premier king room via NOR1 e-Standby. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by Shirley at the reception desk. She also kindly offered milk and sugar cookies to be delivered to the room for my son, which we gladly accepted.

The Room:
Our room was at the end of the hallway on the 7th floor farthest away from the elevator, as I had requested. Like some other reviewers mentioned, the interior of the room is of minimalistic style that is clutter-free. This worked out perfectly for us because all I needed was to put the wine glasses high up and the room was pretty much child-proof. The decorative objects on the shelves and night-stands are all made of wood so I did not need to worry about my son breaking anything. Cotton linens were fresh and soft. The crib was set up prior to our arrival with fresh and soft sheets, pillow, and a comforter; and the crib rails are protected with clear teether in case the baby wants to chew on it. Inside the crib laid nicely a black stuffed bear and a Burt’s Bees baby skin care set. The crib is on the smaller size like any crib in a hotel for our 2-year, so we ended up not using it, but it did help tremendously as a confined play area when we need to keep him busy while packing/unpacking.

The bathroom has a sliding door, with mirrors on both sides, to separate from the living/sleeping area. The closet for luggage is located inside the bathroom (no big deal but took us some time to get used to). Instead of having drawers, the closets have shelves with totes on them and they came in handy as I can pull them out and rearrange them based on my needs. (Again, I didn’t need to child-proof them as I would have with drawers). 2 thick soft cotton terry bathrobes and 2 pairs of cotton terry slippers were provided, along with oversized spa towels. Bathroom accessories provided were: a shower cap, a small tube of toothpaste, a sewing/mending kit, shoe shine, a lint remover and a hair dryer. Other items can be requested by calling the reception desk.

Of all the hotel chains, we always like the Hyatt beds the most. The king bed we slept on was no exception. The best part of the room, however, is the shower/tub area of the bathroom. It comes with a rain shower, a handheld shower, and a deep spa-style tub. It was very relaxing to soak in the tub (a jar of sea salt was provided too) or just shower under the rain shower head, then wrap ourselves in the thick soft cotton robes at the end of each day.

The Service:
While the room is simple, functional and comfortable, the personal/attentive service we received was truly top-notch and impeccable in every way. From the moment we walked in, all staffs we encountered were kind and polite, and showed genuine concern of our well-being during our stay. They always approached politely and kindly but also knew when to withdraw. Every time I dialed the reception, I was greeted by my name.

My son developed a fever one night and I called the front desk for help. They promptly and calmly arranged a taxi with a car seat to take us to the ER. Although we later decided not to go but instead wait until the next morning, the staffs reassured us nonetheless that a taxi and a car seat will be available whenever we needed them. When we came down the next morning, the staff at the reception desk, although from a different shift, was well informed of our needs from the previous night and asked about how my son was doing.

The Dining Experience
I would recommend anybody who stays at this hotel or visits the DC are to dine at the Blue Duck Tavern at least once – it’s gotta be one of the best, if not the best, restaurants in DC. The food was nothing short of divine that it deserves its own review. What I want to comment here is, again, the service.

We went there the same night we arrived (thinking back, we should have waited until the 2nd night to be able to truly enjoy the food) and came down right after we dropped off the luggage in our room. The restaurant was just opened and because we were hotel guests, they accommodated us without reservation. While we were waiting for the dishes, my son got a little cranky (after a long trip) and started to make noises and wanted to get out of the high chair. I was about to try my charm to hush him down when I heard a gentle voice: “Would you like to have some crayons and coloring sheets”? That was our live-saver before the situation escalated. When we inquired about the dishes we were most interested in, I mentioned that our son is allergic to certain food, instead of steering us to other dishes we didn’t ask for, the wait staff patiently explained to us the ingredients and reassured us that the kitchen can and will accommodate our dieting needs with the dishes we most wanted.

Our AAA rate came with breakfast for 2 adults at the lounge, and the hotel didn’t charge for our young son to breakfast with us. The cold breakfast table offers organic milk and soymilk, cold meats, cheese, fruit, cereal, bread and pastries. I highly recommend the olive oil coffee cake. We also ordered eggs with bacon from the kitchen. There is nothing really flashy/fancy about the breakfast but everything was prepared to perfection – that what we like about this place. If the regular breakfast was this good, I could only imagine the weekend brunch they serve.

In summary, this has been the best hotel experience we have ever had. Park Hyatt Washington DC has brought hospitality to a new level for many so-called luxury hotels to look up to. We would definitely come back to this place if we visit DC again.

New Year’s Resolution
If I could make one suggestion for continuous improvement? I agree with a few other reviewers that the hallway carpeting can use some updating 

Room Tip: sign up for NOR1 e-Standby, it is a really good value for room upgrade
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank chuyim

Dear Chuyim,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Park Hyatt Washington! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed with your visit with us. We will be sure to share all of your comments with our employees. We hope to welcome you back to Park Hyatt Washington again soon!

Reviewed 1 January 2012

My husband and I decided to spend New Years weekend in DC. We had looked around at several different hotels and after reading many reviews decided on the Park Hyatt. We were not disappointed! The staff was beyond attentive and helpful from the minute we arrived to the minute we left. The rooms were immaculate and very modern. We loved the food and delicious breakfasts (which came included with our room). We have stayed at Park Hyatt's before and really can't say enough good things about our experience at this property. We highly recommend this to anyone looking for a high quality hotel with excellent service. We'll definitely be back!

Reviewed 1 January 2012

I just completed my second stay a the Park Hyatt, and like my first stay virtually everything was perfect. Room was ready early and while called deluxe, most hotels would call it a suite. I called for a couple of champagne glasses and boom they were there. I never saw a line at reception; whenever someone arrived, an employee arrived to take care of them. The location is a few blocks from the K street corridor from Georgetown, and from Foggy Bottom. From National Airport, it's a 10 minute taxi ride. Also, the Blue Duck Tavern in the hotel is one of DC's better restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My 20 year-old daughter and I were to Washington for a couple of days and I wanted to stay someplace nice. I was pleasantly surprised to find rooms available at the Park Hyatt, reputedly one of the best hotels in the city, for around $200 per night. Once I got to the AAA rate, it was $179 including breakfast. This is perhaps the best hotel deal I’ve ever gotten.

And it got better. After booking, I was given an offer to upgrade for a discounted price. I decided not to because I figured if they were offering discounts and nobody took them, then maybe upgrades could be free. And in fact, that’s what happened. We were given connecting Premier Park Deluxe rooms, 618 square feet, on a high floor. The rooms were great- mini suites of sorts, with a divider between the bed and the living area, which featured swivel lounge chairs, a nice desk, and a TV that can be rotated to face either the bed or the living area.

The bed was a nicely appointed king with an iPod dock in the radio (nice, since I forgot my charger), reading lamps and complimentary bottled water at bedside. The bathroom is huge with an open style rain shower next to a tub. If you don’t like rain showers there’s a hand-held fixture in a bracket. All the usual amenities were there and the shampoo smells good. There’s an ample-sized laptop safe (with an outlet inside so you can say charged!)

All that’s fine, but I was unprepared for the level of service offered at this hotel. The first hint I got was when the desk clerk asked if we’d like a newspaper in the morning and I said, sure, what do you have? He simply replied, what do you want? Then, the bellman asked if we were elite members of the Hyatt Passport program, and when we said we weren’t he disappeared and returned with codes for complimentary Internet (usually $13 a day).

I was concerned about getting to breakfast on time because we wanted to sleep in and they said not to worry, that breakfast was available to guests at any time and that, contrary to the conditions of the AAA rate, room service breakfast was free as well. The food was all delicious. The hotel restaurant is terrific for dinner as well.

The best part, though, was when we realized neither of us had slept well and decided that the pillows were to blame (they were nice pillows, just softer than we like). I called to ask if they had memory foam pillows, like the ones we have at home, and the guest services agent said that “when we have them in the hotel they will be brought to your rooms.” This sounded an awful lot like they were going out to buy them for us (unless DC has a pillow rental shop I’m unfamiliar with) and sure enough they were on our beds when we returned from the day’s activities. I was thinking of asking where I could go to buy a six-pack of beer but was afraid they would insist on going out and getting it for me (there’s a Trader Joe’s 2 blocks away that filled the bill).

The location isn’t particularly convenient to public transportation, but it’s an easy walk to Georgetown and less than 10 minutes to the Metro.

All in all, this is a superior hotel and I would have felt satisfied with the value if I’d spent twice what I did. It is now my hotel of choice for DC, even if I have to pay full price.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank T
Reviewed 24 December 2011

This continues to be one of my favorite Hyatt hotels in the world. I've stayed at a number of Park Hyatt's and this is up there in terms of service and style. As a Hyatt Diamond member I was upgraded to a very nice suite and really enjoyed the service which I received. The hotel is just down the street from Georgetown and is in a quiet neighborhood with plenty of off street parking on the weekends. Hyatt Diamond members get free wifi and complimentary breakfast in the Blue Duck Tavern. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. Can't wait to get back there!