“Another Excellent Stay!”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The Park Hyatt is my go to for a quick getaway from Philadelphia and the staff continues to make each experience memorable. The attention to detail is excellent and the entire team goes out of their way to attend to ever need. Very special thanks to Shane and Amy! I look forward to visiting again soon!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,923)

Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Park Hyatt Washington, DC is a beautiful hotel in a great neighborhood, so why such low ratings? Well, when a hotel offers a "special" family rate, as Park Hyatt does, you expect that they're prepared to accommodate the basic needs of families. Though we've stayed at other Hyatt hotels where families are welcomed and pampered, this hotel failed over and over at meeting even our most basic needs.

The issues and oversights started with the misinformation at check-in that our rooms included continental breakfast for two (there were three of us), though they decided on our third day that full breakfast was included with our rooms. On the evening that we checked in, it was relatively late and we were very tired having traveled all day, so we ordered in-room dining. The bill was $157.00 for a cheeseburger, child's portion of pasta(with butter only) and one adult entree. At breakfast the next morning, my 10-year old son was served orange juice in a cracked glass that shattered into small shards when he went to take his first sip. That night after a long, tiring day of sightseeing, we enjoyed the pool and then went down to the dining room to be told that the highly sought after, Blue Duck Tavern, was full for the remainder of the night and would not be able to offer us a table. They made no effort to help us find another alternative for dinner other then to seat us in the lounge which offered a short menu of appetizers (no entrees available) and a children's menu - so my boys ate dinner and I had a small-portioned, over-priced appetizer.

On our third night, we had made reservations for dinner at the Blue Duck Tavern. My boys were so excited to be the only children in the upscale, open kitchen setting and enjoyed their entrees. My 9-year old son ordered the "straight from the oven" chocolate cake which was brought to the table literally "from the oven" in the small metal pan in which it was cooked. It was placed in front of him with a small spoon in the pan and when we went to grab the spoon, he touched the side of his hand against the pan. The heat of the pan was so intense that it caused a second degree burn that quickly caused a large, painful blister despite the ice and burn remedy spray offered by the hotel staff.

To finish our stay off on a truly sour note, the restaurant proceeded to charge us for the dessert! When I pointed out that we had been charged for the dessert, the hotel manager apologized but did nothing. He later called our room at 10:12pm awakening my boys to offer us breakfast the next morning. When I pointed out that breakfast was included with our room, he offered us dessert to which my son responded, "so I can burn my hand again, no thank you."

If you want an upscale, comfortable stay for a family vacation in Washington, DC, look elsewhere and don't be fooled by anything sold as "special".

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank BJ C
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear BJ C,

Thank you for sharing about your recent stay at Park Hyatt Washington. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continually improve our service, and to ultimately provide a wonderful experience to our guests. Please allow us to express our sincerest apologies for the many opportunities you experienced during your visit. Your comments are very important to us and have been shared with our Rooms and Food & Beverage departments for further investigation.

We invite you to contact our General Manager, Andrew Davidson, at Andrew.Davidson@hyatt.com, to further discuss the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We hope that you will allow us the opportunity to better serve you in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Washington.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I've stayed here three or four times in the last few years. It is a nice, modern hotel with good knowledgeable staff. Some of the rooms are bigger than others. If you can get an upgrade, do it...it's worth it. The gym is nice as is the lobby bar.

Room Tip: Ask for the upgraded room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is my second time in past one year and it just gets better every time. I have stayed at my share of fine hotels around the world but I always look forward to staying at the Park Hyatt in D.C. I used to stay at the Fairmont (excellent choice) across the street but after giving Park Hyatt a try I am glad I did. Special thanks to manager Robert Atchison for going out of the way to address my needs and his wonderful staff. The standard rooms are pretty good size for D.C. and simplicity and modern concept makes this hotel interior fabulous. Be sure to grab a bite at the Blue Duck Tavern because everything I had on their menu is absolutely delicious. When you're not dining at the hotel just walk 10 minutes to Georgetown for great scenery and shopping. Thank you Park Hyatt and will be back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Fairmont is a good start and paying little more for Park Suite is an excellent choice i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear sleeplessinseoul,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay at Park Hyatt Washington. We very much enjoy reading all of your wonderful comments and appreciate you choosing us as your preferred in the nation's capital. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I stayed in a King Bed Deluxe Room at this hotel over the President's Day long weekend. Overall, we were happy with the room and hotel and will definitely book again if we head back to DC.

Pros:
- Location: its about a 15 minute walk down to Lincoln Memorial/Whitehouse etc, and about a 5 minute walk to Georgetown. Also very close to the metro which will also take you to either Arlington/Pentagon or Federal Square/Smithsonian
- Room: loved it, especially the bathroom which was amazing.
- Restaurant: Blue Duck Tavern is fabulous, definitely worth a visit even if you don't stay at the Park Hyatt.
- Awaken Package: minimal increase in cost over the daily rate and included breakfast and wi-fi, good value.

Cons
- We were upgraded to a "view" room, which is really just a view of the street and other hotels. Not worth the money if you are thinking of paying for it.
- Cleaning: we went out all day Sunday and when we came back our room had not been serviced - actually they had restocked the mini-bar but not made the bed/provided more toiletries etc. This seemed pretty strange.
- Breakfast: not good, unless you have it included in the room rate I would head elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brookster84
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear Brookster84,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay at Park Hyatt Washington. While it appears that, for the most part, you enjoyed your stay, you did experience a few opportunities. We value your feedback and would like to discuss these concerns with you further. Should you wish, please feel free to contact me directly at renee.sharrow@hyatt.com.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I a rather quiet street very close to the German embassy the PH offers everything a 400 $ hotel should do: stylisch interior, excellent service (they even offer maps for runners - the round trail thru the mall-area is my pitch), a small swimming pool (no real spa with sauna though) and a very chic restaurant (with good drinks). bar lovers would be disappointed though - a real place to socialize is missing which is strange bcs the drinks are quite good. the rain showers in the rooms are great (when you get an upgrade even better) and the breakfast is also worth getting up earlier than planned. of course, like most PHs, its a large hotel and rather made for biz-guests but the walking distance to georgetown makes it also a match for a wealthy private guest...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Now that I've stayed at the Park Hyatt about five times, I think it's time for a review. This hotel is consistently one of my favorites and is by far my favorite hotel in DC. I've tried the Willard, a couple of Ritz properties, and many other upscale chains. Nothing comes close to the Park Hyatt. It is unpretentious, modern, trendy (but not super hip like W Hotels try to be), and caters well to all ages. The staff is amazing, super-friendly, helpful, and professional. Even the smell is inviting. I think they pump some mild scent through the hotel.

The onsite restaurant, Blue Duck, is one of the best restaurants in the city. Make your reservations early. It is NOT your typical hotel restaurant. It would be a champion as an independent site in any city in the world. Be sure to try it. In the lounge are a small bar and the Tea Cellar, offering dozens of luxury teas, and kindly, free refills of water for multiple steeps. Compared to the $18 gin and tonic I had at the bar, the Tea Cellar seems like a bargain.

The rooms are larger than other upscale hotel rooms in DC and the bathrooms are beautiful. I also think the rooms have character with a split living room/bedroom concept and a modern style. Some on here have commented that the colors are bland, but I find the rooms peaceful. I like the unusual but perfectly adequate lighting, the colors, and the amenities. One important tip that will make the stay better: the super cool bathroom of the Premier Park Deluxe room (or better) is well worth the extra money. The large open marble shower/bath concept is awesome. I could stay in there all day.

There are only two negative things I can think of to write. First, prices for everything are ridiculous - even more ridiculous than most upscale hotels. Valet parking is $48 per night for example. That's unconscionable enough that I specifically don't use it and taxi to/from. Maybe that's what they're going for. Second: no spa. They have a "spa room" but that it is just a normal hotel room retrofitted with a massage table and some other spa items, but it is NOT a spa. Furthermore, massage prices in the lackluster spa room are, like everything there, stupid expensive. $175 for a 65 minute Swedish massage is the cheapest option. Maybe I'd pay that if it were a real serious spa and I could spend some quality time relaxing before and after.

As long as you know going into the stay that all of the hotel's services are very expensive, don't hesitate to book here if you can afford the room. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Premier Park Deluxe for a GREAT bathroom.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OU812Kiev
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear OU812Kiev,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your loyalty to Park Hyatt and value your comments and feeback on both the hotel and Blue Duck Tavern. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.