“Luxury hotel in convenient DC location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Hyatt Washington

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #20 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Luxury hotel in convenient DC location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

My first stay at the Park Hyatt Washington (usually stay at the Ritz Carlton Pentagon City). Plus points - very convenient location from which to branch out into Georgetown, well appointed rooms, excellent bar, tasty artisan cheese served in bar. Negatives - unbelievably slow service at breakfast (even though there were hardly any customers), problem with my booking at check-in which was quickly sorted once I stood firm. Some staff seem very inexperienced with few signs of supervisors.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank llyr24
ParkHyattDC, General Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Llyr J,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Park Hyatt Washington for the first time. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location and ambiance of our property; however, our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience at breakfast and check-in that you experienced. We do our best to ensure a flawless stay. I have reviewed your feedback with our front office and restaurant teams. We do hope to welcome you back again the next time your travels bring you to Washington.

Kind Regards,
Andrew Davidson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at the Park Hyatt a couple of weekends ago for a wedding. There was a lot to like but a couple of things I was not so happy with. I would consider staying here again, but I would also look into other options.

The staff were all first-rate, from the valets and doormen to the restaurant staff. Check-in and check-out were fast and smooth, and the front desk folks could not have been more helpful or attentive to anything we needed during our stay. I would like to compliment the entire staff for its very high level of customer service-you were all terrific!

The hotel is attractive, with a clean, simple design. It's hard to argue with a place that distributes rocking chairs through the lobby. :-) For our purposes, the lobby seating area was rather small. It has a couple of seating areas which are comfortable enough, but only seat about 6 people max, and the seating areas are isolated from each other. If you're there on business and want a somewhat private place to talk, this is probably very suitable, but if you're with a large group and you all want to hang out, there isn't enough space for that. I also couldn't find a place to plug in my laptop (which doesn't mean there weren't any).

The room was spacious and the bed very comfortable, with actual regular sized pillows! I was very happy to have those rather than the smaller more decorative kind that are popular now. The biggest drawback to the room is that there were no drawers. One closet has shelves with baskets for storage, but those are not especially convenient. I like a place to unpack, even if I'm only there for a day or two. I also prefer to have a drawer in the table next to the bed to store my phone and so forth.

The bathroom was also spacious and well-equipped. The towels were lovely, large and soft and fluffy. I liked the rain showerhead. But there is a serious problem with the bathtub. It is a gorgeous huge soaking tub. But it doesn't have a full shower door. Instead, there is a sort of panel that extends far enough to cover the area where the shower will hit. I was startled to put my hand on this door and discover that it moved. It was more like a saloon door than a wall, if that makes sense. We were traveling with some elderly people and one of them fell when she tried to lean on this panel and it moved. Another one barely avoided falling. It's a very dangerous arrangement.

We ate in the restaurant a couple of times. The food was very good and reasonably priced for a hotel of this kind. I am delighted to report that wifi is free in the rooms (yay!). But overnight parking is $50 a night, which is just ridiculous. I tried to find an alternative nearby but couldn't find a public garage that would allow overnight parking.

We used the workout room, which was not huge but sufficient, with free weights as well as weight stack machines, as well as the usual assortment of stationary bikes, ellipticals, and treadmills. I used one of the ellipticals, which I must say was the easiest one I've ever used. The instructions were very clear and simple to follow. It's a little tricky to get to the gym, though. You have to go all the way through the 3rd floor and down a set of steps. (There's probably a more direct way but we didn't find it.) We saw the pool and hot tub area, which is very inviting, but sadly we didn't have time to try it out.

Overall, I enjoyed our stay, and I wish I could take the staff with me to every hotel I visit! Still, I didn't love the facility so much that I'd book there without shopping around first.

Room Tip: We were on the 24th St side, and we were concerned about traffic noise at night, but it was very qui...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank laurahorowitz
ParkHyattDC, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear laurahorowitz,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback with us regarding your recent stay. While it seems that overall you did enjoy our hotel, especially the service demonstrated by our staff, there were a few opportunities of concern. I do want to apologize for the unfortunate incidents that your relatives experienced while in our bathrooms. I will pass along your comments to our Director of Engineering to see if there are ways to correct these issues. We do hope that you will once again choose Park Hyatt Washington when visiting the nation's capital.

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed here in August for a family wedding. Usually stay in lower priced properties so we were expecting a great experience, Boy, were we in for a surprise. The disappointment begin at check in when the desk clerk was totally befuddled because I wanted to check in with a different credit card than the one I had made the reservation with, I finally had to change credit cards or I would have been there for hours. At check in I requested a microwave and a refrigerator and after I got to the room I called for a second luggage stand. Well, the luggage stand came straight away but the bell-person who brought it said there was no record of a request for the microwave or refrigerator. I suspect the desk person to whom I made the request was still trying to figure out the credit card issue!! To the bell-person's credit he brought the appliances very quickly. That's when the fun started. Turns out there was a problem with the toilet and the bowl wouldn't clear when flushed. A call to the desk brought a promise that someone would be up to fix it. When we returned from dinner the bowl was clear but the problem was far from fixed. The next day another call brought another promise that it would be fixed but that evening the problem was still there. The next day I went to the front desk and spoke with the clerk on duty, Once again a promise that it would be fixed and disappointment. Finally, I spoke to the ranking person on duty, explained the problem, the history, and the utter lack of followup. He promised to personally see that the problem was solved. To his credit he did but then, in an effort to appease us, offered us one of their apple pastries to make up for our inconvenience and their incompetence. This just added insult to injury as far as I was concerned so at check out I asked to speak with the GM. He sent one of his minions (he was on a conference call - what could be more important than an irate guest at the front desk?). When I explained the history and our reaction to the pastry peace offering and requested some sort of adjustment to the bill he forced me to negotiate!!!! Run, do not walk, from this hotel. Pretty, pretentious, but incompetent people at the front desk do not make a luxury hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank chaz1828
Parkland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Awesome Place. Great location, very clean, AMAZING restaurants. I highly recommend eating at Blue Duck Tavern and sitting down in the tea shop as well. What a relaxing weekend we had here.
The roms were a very nice size and the bathrooms were GREAT. Loved the bathrooms!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chad s
Dear chad s,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review of your recent stay. It sounds like a very enjoyable birthday weekend celebrated with us here and at Blue Duck Tavern. We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again!

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed here fem Thursday to Monday, on arrival the door staff were friendly and welcoming as were the reception staff. The lobby has a modern look and the whole downstairs is a lovely place to be. We we upgraded and the room was fantastic. Modern, without being too modern, meant it was still comfortable and cozy. The bathroom was fantastic. Good lighting meant seeing in the mirrors was easy (unlike in some design hotels I've been to), the stone floor and wall tiles were lovely and the toiletries and amenities great. The bed was comfortable, while sound proofing seemed pretty good as I barely heard a sound from outside the room. The gym and pool are modern and clean. Breakfast was fantastic in the Blue Duck Tavern, with good variety and the high quality. Staff were also very welcoming, and efficient. A great stay would recommend to anyone. The short walk to George Town, Foggy Bottom, and Dupont Circle mean it's in a fantastic location.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AMB85
Dear AMB85,

Thank you for sharing such delightful comments from your recent stay. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your long with us - from the modern design of our guestrooms to the delicious meal at Blue Duck Tavern. We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback. We do hope to welcome you back to Washington again soon!

Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

My favorite hotel in DC. Typical Park Hyatt: nice rooms, good service, good location. The hotel is somewhat dated, but compared to other hotels in DC in excellent condition. Rooms are nice and spacious, breakfast at the Blue Duck is great. Only drawbacks are low water pressure (I have stayed multiple times and every time there have been issues with the water pressure in the shower) and no coffee makers in the rooms. But overall a very pleasant and comfortable hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I was fortunate to get a very good last-minute rate for a 5 night stay. I also was lucky to get a complimentary upgrade in my room. The accommodations were very spacious, clean, well maintained, with plenty of amenities and conveniences. Very comfortable bed, sizable bath with free standing shower in addition to bath and lots of storage space spread out over a lot of space as far as hotel bathrooms go.

Internet and breakfast included, which was quite the bargain. The style is very cool, elegant modern, without a lot of fuss. The service, especially front desk and concierge, was outstanding, especially when I needed to make alternate travel arrangements in light of a major incoming storm.

The only negatives were: other hotel guests on the same floor were partying a lot and very noisy; the shower did not have a lot of water pressure and the temperature was erratic; and the breakfast credit got eaten up quickly by the restaurant's pretty high prices. But the food was excellent all the same. Convenient location though the immediate neighborhood is nothing to write home about. Still would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo