“Perfect, as usual”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #24 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Our family of five love the Park Hyatt DC! We recently spent four nights in a premier executive suite with a connecting deluxe double/double. The hotel is in perfect shape and we enjoy the tranquility of all its spaces including the guest rooms (immense). I cannot say enough about the service. Both the availability and the warm responsiveness from general manager Andrew Davidson, to Ryan Toney and his concierge staff, to the young woman who so meticulously made up our room each day. Room service is always superior, the pool is now a warm and more intimate space and the Blue Duck Tavern continues it's record of brilliance. Yet, it is the staff that continues to make the difference. They are at once genuine, gracious and sincere. Every so often while in DC we wander off to the Ritz-Carlton or the Mandarin Oriental, but never come away as thoroughly satisfied and relaxed as when we stay at the Park Hyatt. A final caveat, whenever the concierge desk makes restaurant reservations you can feel assured that the restaurant will know who you are and have a well-placed table ready.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PhilipNewJersey
Write a ReviewReviews (1,901)

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

I hate to have to give the Park Hyatt 4 stars instead of a full 5, but there are some small nagging things that, in my opinion, separate the 4 and 5 star luxury hotels. I booked the Park Deluxe room as part of a New Years Eve package that included the upgraded room, valet parking, "Welcome Holiday" Amenity, 2 tickets to the NYE event, and "American" Breakfast at the Blue Duck, all of this at a steep discount (versus purchasing each individually). As of right now, the only questionable hiccup might be the "Pending" charge for the valet parking on my credit card, but I suspect even if it goes through that there wouldn't be much of an issue getting that reversed.

The Good
The service here is some of the top notch I've experienced anywhere. The staff seemed genuinely happy, interested in the customers needs, and willing to do what they can. The room, we were in the Park Deluxe room that features a soaking tub and rain shower, marble floors, huge king big. It was great. The Park has full exercise room, excellent in door (skylit) pool, multiple floors, and an interesting out door (patio?) area.

The Bad
Any successful business person can tell you that the keys to success is location, location, location. Now I understand that we stayed New Years Eve, but there was a constant stream of sirens. All hours of the night, I was woken up by the sound of sirens coming directly by the hotel. The other looming issue is sound between rooms. I was in a Park Deluxe room, which has a large living room area, but is also connected directly to the room next door, via an in room door. The door connecting the two rooms doesn't fill the entire door frame, so for the early parts of the night ( and later when our neighbors returned and ordered 3am room service) we were able to CLEARLY hear the conversations next door. While I understand this is probably one of the busiest days of the year for them, but this seems like something that could be an issue no matter what time of the year.

The Ugly
I don't expect much, just what is advertised and anything other than that seems like icing on the cake. Part of the deal was an "Welcome Holiday Amenity". When we arrived, my wife pointed out that there was no sign of it. So my wife called down to the front desk to point out they may have forgotten (or not yet got) to us. Front desk told her that they would be by soon. An hour goes by and nothing. My wonderful wife, decides to call down again, juuuuusssttttt incase they were overwhelmed. The person she spoke to told her that the kitchen was busy with the NYE dinner seating and that they would get the amenity delivered to us later.

We left for our dinner reservation at Founding Farmers, and returned around 6, to .... nothing. Wife called back down to let the front desk know it still had not arrived. The gentleman told my wife that while it was New Years Eve, he would let the manager know. Long story short, eventually the manager showed up with a complimentary bottle of red and some delicious sea salt chocolates. This goes back to me believing that the service you receive here is genuine, and once a staff member is available, they will make sure it is right.

Big Finish
With that being said, I will return next New Years Eve. I would like to return in the Spring to experience an "off peak" day at the hotel, because the amenities, staff, and physical space was exceptional.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chrisspike
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Two night stay just before New Year', celebrating Birthday. Though we frequently stay at Four seasons and Ritz properties , this was our first short vacation at the Park Hyatt. We chose to spend a quiet two days in DC, though we live just 20 minute drive outside downtown. The Washington Park Hyatt is truly amazing. Clean, comfortable, classy. Though an older property, the attitude ans service is unmatched. Every single staff member is courteous, kind and committed to service. is the level of courtesy and service. It reflects ts a corporate culture of excellence. Room service was prompt and professional. We had dinner at the Blue Duck Tavern. Excellent preparations and service. Delicious meal, unbelievable desserts too. Cannot ask for better. Will be back soon. Service in the restaurant was first rate .The level of courtesy and service in the hotel and the restaurant reflects a corporate culture of excellence and commitment.
Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ParkHyattDC, General Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear efroni,

Happy New Year! Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. Your comments are most appreciated and will be shared with our team. I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay-cation with us, at the both the hotel and Blue Duck Tavern restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind Regards,
Andrew Davidson

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I just stayed here for 5 nights and had an excellent stay. I had a great rate and opted for the junior suite upgrade which was available. Great big space, full bathroom, separate shower and tub. The other end the suite had a two piece bathroom as well. Its funny. The staff are very friendly, however the restaurant staff could've been nicer (except Andres). Breakfast is great but confusion reigns on the weekend because it is so busy for brunch and you don't know where to go to be seated. I watched a couple come in yesterday between breakfast and brunch and they were told by a manager (this woman that walks around sternly with an iPad) that they were switching over and they can wait (for 1/2 hr at that point) to be seated for brunch. She didn't even look at them as she was busy doing something else. They had come in from the rain. Why couldn't they be seated and offered coffee or juice until brunch service began? That is not hospitality at a nice restaurant. I would have left with that kind of "greeting". That being said the food at the blue duck tavern is excellent and worth the price you pay. Every meal was consistent and tasty. Opting in for a rate that includes breakfast is well worth the money. The hotel is on the edge of Georgetown and in a quiet area which was nice. I am a walker so I walked to all the major sites. Other option is transit if you aren't as it isn't right downtown. Wireless is spotty and kept going on and off whether you are in your room or in the restaurant. I'm glad it was free with my status because it is not worth it if you are paying for an consistently unreliable service. All the being said I loved it and will be back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Randall_from_Toronto
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We arrived on the 27th, and as Diamond members were upgraded to a beautiful Park Executive Suite. A bowl of apples, tin of sugar cookies and a large Voss water were shortly delivered. Maid service has been great. However, internet has been up and down during our entire stay, even after complaining.
Blue Duck Tavern has been the biggest disappointment. This morning the two hostesses argued in front of us, and the one seating us announced she had no menus and " the other one will get them". Guess what, we never received our menus for 10 minutes. Our toast and bacon arrived as we finished our eggs, and the bacon was incredibly limp after we asked for it crisp.
Still here until the 31st. Will update as necessary.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2013

It was a quick visit but really loved the city. The hotel is spectacular, the location is great. The service is perfect. The Blue Duck Tavern makes honor to its reputation.
The rooms are very spacious, the bathroom is great!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Wonderland81,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay. It sounds like you had a wonderful visit to the nation's capital, including your stay with us. We do hope to see you again in the New Year, should your travels bring you back.

Kind Regards,
Andrew Davidson

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I was underwhelmed by this property. I have stayed at many Park Hyatt's (the Vendome in Paris is my favorite followed by Tokyo). While the rate for my stay in DC was 25% of the price of what is costs to stay at my other favorite Park Hyatts, I still had high expectations give the "Park" designation.

The lobby is stunning so I immediately had very high hopes. But the rest fell flat. No one greeted my cab on arrival (forgivable given the late hour). I had to announce myself to the front desk after waiting alone for 2 mins by literally calling out to see if anyone was there. I asked if I had been upgraded as I am a Platinum member and was simply told "no" with just one word even though the hotel was not that busy. On my way to the room, I noticed that the hallway carpets were in desperate need of replacement.

The room was ok, but the bathroom was very disappointing. No separate shower or toilet room. The grout had mildew and the caulking was cracked. Bed was comfy and room service was smooth. After getting on the scale it showed that I weigh 36 pounds, so clearly that wasn't working well either.

All in all, an ok hotel, but in my view, not worthy of the brand. Had it been a Hyatt Regency, I would be rating it either 4 or 5 stars.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo