“Blue Duck Tavern”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I had an enjoyable meal in a relaxed setting with great service. I had the cauliflower soup, bone marrow appertizer, braised beef rib with brussel sprouts. I finished the meal with sunfruit sorbet (think orange sherbet colored sorbet with citrus hints bursting forth with each spoonful). The bone marrow appetizer can easily be shared by two or more people. The braised rib and brussels can also easily by shared. I only regret that I hadn't visited the Blue Duck Tavern sooner.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
ParkHyattDC, General Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear ladyt,

Thank you for recent review of our restaurant, Blue Duck Tavern. We appreciate you taking the time to share positive feedback of your dining experience. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable meal with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Andrew Davidson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,925)

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Our family of 5 spent the week of New Year's at the Park Hyatt and could not have been more pleased with our stay. Everything was fantastic. We booked two interconnecting rooms through American Express' Fine Hotel Program at a very reasonable rate give the quality of the accommodations. The front desk staff were very friendly upon our arrival and check-in was quick, While one of the rooms was not ready when we arrived (which was well before the stated check-in time), we were able to get into one of our rooms and the front desk called housekeeping and made sure the room was ready as soon as possible. The kids had a regular park room while my wife and I had a deluxe room with a huge bathroom and separate sitting area. The rooms are light and airy and all of the furnishings were top notch. Our package included breakfast each morning in the Blue Duck Tavern and the food and service were awesome. Over the course of the six days we tried just about everything on the menu and nothing disappointed. The service was very friendly and the waitstaff were great with the kids. My wife and I also ate dinner at the BDT one night that meal was great as well. The menu was diverse, the food was very good and the wine list was excellent. We used the pool on one occasion and the kids had a great time playing. On most of the mornings, we were able to take the house car to our destination. I forget the driver's name but he, like the rest of the staff, was super friendly and was happy to point out the sites as we drove. The Park Hyatt, it is located about a 10 minute walk from the nearest metro stop (Foggy Bottom) and there are restaurants and drug stores in the immediate vicinity so it is relatively convenient. Taxis are always available as the hotel is right across the street from The Fairmont and the Westin. Overall, we loved the aesthetic of the hotel....lots of Shaker style furnishings but with an Asian minimalistic approach--sounds a little weird but it totally works and the results are great. We've been fortunate enough to stay in many great hotels around the world and my whole family agreed that the Park Hyatt Washington is one of our favorite city hotels and we highly recommend it for any sort of stay.

Room Tip: The deluxe park rooms are definitely worth the upgrade as the bathrooms are amazing.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bowdoin1

Dear Bowdoin1,

Wow! Thank you for sharing such wonderful feedback from your recent stay with us over New Year's. I am delighted to read how much you and your family enjoyed your visit, and were able to take advantage of both our indoor swimming pool and Blue Duck Tavern restaurant. We certainly appreciate you making us new hotel of choice when visiting the nation's capital. We look forward to welcoming you all back again.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We had a lovely stay here for a long weekend in January. The staff and accommodations were top notch. I booked our room through Jetsetter and was very pleased to learn we had been upgraded upon arrival.
Blue Duck Tavern is a favorite of mine- breakfast was included in our rate and we enjoyed the food very much!

1  Thank snowdymeow

Dear snowdymeow,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. I am happy to read how much you enjoyed your weekend getaway. What a nice treat to be upgraded! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Booked the romance package weekend and while there were several very nice features at the hotel many were very ordinary to below average and not conducive to a romantic weekend getaway.

What is right about the hotel: good first impression upon arrival, nice reception area, bar and restaurant. Great room service had breakfast both mornings in room (included in romance package) food was hot, excellent and served in 20 minutes both days.

What is not right about the hotel: The guest room corridors are very pedestrian, you could be staying at any 3 star hotel in the world, there is no warmth just a series of long corridors with all beige/brown overtones. Upon arrival to our room, a Park Premiere Deluxe View (guaranteed room type with romance package) we were underwhelmed. The living area felt like a bus station, 3 swivel chairs one oversized table and a built in work desk. No sofa or love seat nothing to make one feel llke spending a romantic weekend in the room. The bedroom was just that it had a king size bed and nothing else. I understand the modern sleek minimalist feel that Hyatt was going for but this was not a good minimalist feel plus the bed is too low to the ground. Again the entire room is done in beige and browns not one item of color, there is no artwork or photos anywhere in the room. The furnishings looked and felt like they were from IKEA.

The bathroom/closet area is nice but I have seen better in DC and around the world. There is only one sink and the soaking tub while deep is very narrow and coffin like and again did not lend itself to a romantic weekend or a desire to use the complimentary bath salts/butler that again was part of the romantic weekend.

Another item of frustration was the lack of a coffee maker in the room, getting a coffee maker delivered and left in our room was an exercise in how not to deliver 5 star service!! Suffice it to say the excuses and calamity of errors were worthy of a bad low grade comedy video.

Two other issues that reflected poorly on service were the daily newspaper delivery and hotel sedan. Upon check in Friday evening, I was asked what paper i would like to receive and i asked for the NY Times. Saturday morning i received the Washington Post, i stopped by the registration desk and asked to have it changed to the NY Times on Sunday. Again on Sunday i received the Washington Post. Minor yes, but still annoying from a hotel striving for 5 star rating. The final item was the hotel sedan, on the website and in reviews of the hotel it is mentioned that there is a sedan for guest use in the immediate area. When i inquired about this i was informed that it is only available Monday thru Friday. So it is provided for business people during the week, but not for couples on a romatic weekend getaway. Again 3 star service in my opinion.

I believe that this is at best a 4 star business hotel and that offering a romance package is beyond what this hotel is capable of delivering. As a corporate meeting planner who stays at hotels over 150 nights a year around the world I was expecting much more from the Park Hyatt Washington. For a true romantic weekend getaway at a comparably priced hotel I recommend staying across the street at the Fairmont or at the Sofitel by Lafayette Park.

4  Thank RJGJR
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights in January and couldn't recommend the property more. Our guest room was quite large, and the bathroom was stunning. From the decor (zen-like) to the service (perfect), the Park Hyatt made our trip to DC a wonderful getaway. The hotel may not be in the most central location, but it's right across the street from a Capital Bikeshare station, so it's fun and easy to get anywhere in the area.

Room Tip: The lower-numbered rooms seemed to be a hike from the elevators (but close to the stairs that lead t...

Dear Erik M,

Thank you for choosing Park Hyatt Washington during your recent visit to D.C. We appreciate your patronage and for taking the time to share feedback from your stay. I am very happy to read how much you enjoyed your visit - from the decor of the hotel to the service of our team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stayed at the Park Hyatt twice. Both times I experienced trully great service and friendly attitude, from doors opened for me each and every time, through smiles and greetings of all staff, no exception, all the way through the evening service of ice delivery. I especially appreciated a personal note from the cleaning staff with a place to write down any wishes and needs. The first room was a double. It was simple but ellegant, nicely equipped but perhaps lacking a little in the storage space (tiny closet, no shelves or drawers). The second was a deluxe king - expansive space with additional room for work and relaxation and a magnificent bathroom.

Neither room came with a coffee maker, clearly this is not a standard equipment. But one call and the coffee makers were delivered. I was a little disapointed when a super modern expresso maker came with powder creamer, like a second rate motel. There is enough room in the minibar to put a small cup of milk/cream there, but I had to get it myself. Which brings me to the most impressive feature of this hotel - morning coffee service setup in the lobby. Two self service super classy expresso machines with milk steamer machine between them.

Someone below complained about the pool. When I was there it was super clean and serene.

My main issue, as is the case with most hotels in the area, is lack of reasonable priced breakfast option. But a short walk around the corner to Bread & Chocolate solved that problem. For an evening meal, a 15 min walk to the Georgetown Waterfront provides plenty of options at various pricepoints. Farmers/Fishers/Bakers is one I can wholehartily recommend.

All in all a great experience both times. I will be back.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor room facing outside for a great view. The area is generally quiet, if you do not...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

we stayed with my 11 year old daughter this weekend and loved it all. great pool, shane the concierge was excellent, and the front desk staff warm and accommodating. we had one small problem and they immediately tok care of it!
HIGHLY recommend.

Room Tip: we had room 822 which was a mini suite and was spacious and lovely!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mtc146
ParkHyattDC, General Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Mtc146,

Thank your recent feedback. I'm happy to read how much you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us - from the service of our concierge & front office team to the convenience of our swimming pool. We appreciate hearing from you and hope to welcome you back again soon.