“Poor first stay at Hyatt”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #23 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
pittsburgh, pa
“Poor first stay at Hyatt”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

After reading the online reviews, photos, and information on this hotel I was looking forward to a train journey and subsequent stay in DC at the Park Hyatt from March 26-28. I've been meaning to stay at a Park Hyatt ever since seeing the movie "Lost in Translation", and visiting, but not staying at, the Park Hyatt during a trip to Tokyo several years ago. I'm sorry to say that my stay here left a very poor first impression upon me in regards to Hyatt.

I was looking forward to a restful stay as the purpose of my trip was a rest and downtime before taking a series of work related exams. I decided to splurge and get a suite. Upon my arrival at exactly 3pm, the check in time, I was curtly informed that none of the suites were ready and was invited to have a seat in the lobby where I proceeded to wait, and wait, and wait some more. Some 90 minutes later, just I was about to ask if they had forgotten about me, I was informed that my suite was ready. At one point while sitting in one of their lobby chairs I began to nod off and awoke to find a hotel staff member staring at me as if I had engaged in some uncouth behavior. I was tired and all I wanted to do was get my room so I could take a rest and freshen up before going for a walk in the area and going out for dinner. Instead I was forced to while away the sunny afternoon time waiting in a lobby to check into a room that should have been ready before I arrived. I've had a similar experiences at other hotels, most recently at the Hilton in downtown Cincinnati, and you know what they did? ... They apologized and upgraded me to get my checked in immediately. And in that instance I arrived early, unlike at the Park Hyatt where I arrived at check in time.

My suite was #1002, a nice spot at the very end of the hall in a corner, and the bed was comfortable, but the pleasantries seemed to end there.

I felt it to be a chintzy experience. When I arrived I thought I'd call down and ask about the spa. I picked up the phone on the work desk, but it didn't work. I called down on the phone in my bedroom and they said they would be there to take care of it (which they did come and replaced the phone later). They also took the opportunity to tell me there were two phones in the suite … well, I already knew that since I was calling on it, so I took that to convey I was being a bother. There was a scale in the bathroom that didn't work either, just gave me an "err" message. I didn't dare ask about that. I would rather not have an amenity in my room than have one that does not work. Let me say that again, I would rather not have an amenity in my room than have one that does not work. In the marketing industry this is called called Herzberg's hygiene factors; things perhaps small, which one may not complain about, but that are conducive to a lack of satisfaction. Another good example of this one would be the complementary Evian water bottles left in the room, which would be really nice if it didn't seem they were refilled with tap water! Who wants to drink something that is suppose to be sealed and isn't. It was obvious the bottle was opened before. I mean, come on. It's something a cheap Al Bundy-like guest would do at a motel 6 to avoid paying for it, but of course these bottles were free so I don't think it was the previous guest as much as it was the hotel being cheap or the maid just being too lazy to get some more, you know, unopened ones. I did get a chuckle at the thought of some hotel employee saying to themselves "oh the stupid guest will never know"…. So, as I'm thirsty after staring at this bottle early in the morning and realizing it had already been opened do I really feel comfortable drinking from it? I'd kind of feel like a real elitist tool calling down and complaining about a bottle of water, but it did really kind of disappoint me. So off to the CVS I went get some bottles of water for the night; so much for that convince.

Anyway, I found out the "spa" is just a room where they call someone in from outside the hotel if you make an appointment though the concierge and there isn't really a spa there per se. The phone they replaced stopped working, but I didn't call about it again, and just used the other one.

What really pissed me off the most was when I checked out. My train didn't leave DC until after 4pm, so I called down to ask for a late check out. One would think this wouldn't be a problem seeing how I had to wait over an hour and a half from my arrival, at check in time, to check in. But, oh no they could only extend my check out time to 1pm at the latest. I guess they wanted to have the suite ready for the next guest and not keep them waiting; how thoughtful.

In light of all this you think they could do something to make things right before I left, perhaps apologize. Sorry that we couldn't give you a late check out after making you wait over 90 minutes to check in when you arrived, but alas none. 'It's okay to make you wait and inconvenience you, but we wouldn't want to do that to our other guests' was the impression I got. They didn't even do so much as comp me for the $7 beer I had from the mini-bar.

I've had far better experiences at Hampton Inns. I won't be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank vagabond4co

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel is getting better - am semi regular visitor and after last stay I can't praise highly enough. Restaurant and bar are my favourites in DC - great wine list, organic local food, and this trip staff were stand out from an airline expert on front desk to breakfast staff. I was upgraded as a Platinum GP and had a great room. It is not perfectly located but was easy enough walk from State Dept and other meetings. Superb stay

Room Tip: High floor helps
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I booked this hotel for the first time as I am more of a boutique hotel man. I am glad I did. From the doormen, to the concierge to the chef, receptionist , barmen and cleaners, this hotel exudes hospitality, excellence and an understanding of its' guests.
The food is delicious and cooked in an open plan kitchen at the renowned Blue Duck, the rooms are spacious with fantastic toiletries and walk in showers and the atmosphere pervading this establishment is a fine one. Nothing is too little or big to make your stay here comfortable and enjoyable.
I stay in DC annually and know exactly where I will be booking for my next trip.
Thankyou Park Hyatt and see you soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
ParkHyattDC, General Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear WeddingSinger56,

Thank you for your kind comments, it was a pleasure having you as our guest.

After readng your feedback it appears that you had a wonderful stay and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Kind regards,
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I've stayed at a number of DC hotels for pleasure and business, and this is one of the best. The conference facilities are a bit smaller than some of the larger hotels like the Marriott and Ritz, so accommodating a huge group could be a problem. However, the food was better than the Ritz and the rooms are nicer. The bathrooms are large and the towels are some of the largest and thickest of any hotel I've stayed. The high tech room is a bit confusing, even for a techie like me. Be careful or you'll turn "all off" from your bedside which not only shuts off all the lights but also the heating/AC unit. You could wake up in a sweat in the summer or freezing in the winter. Other than that, the rooms are top notch.

The bell and front desk service is very attentive, although they forgot to text me that my room was ready for over an hour (had to go back to the desk to ask). The only downside is the lobby, which is very small and the bar, which has some of the ugliest and most uncomfortable chairs in any hotel anywhere. There are also no TVs anywhere, so no one congregates around the bar area to watch must see sporting events. Otherwise, 5 stars.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear WildcatGuy,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Please accept our apologies for failing to alert you when your room was ready. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your visit to our hotel including our guest room towels.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kind regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2014

this is what five star hotels shoudl aspire to, low key, refined, luxurious surroundings, warm staff, exceptional room materials (zen-like) and superb cuisine (btw, you can order from Blue Duck Tavern to your room). this hotel is also a very good value compared to other high end hotels in DC and it sits a very quiet enclave on the West End close to Georgetown. Bravo Park Hyatt DC - you are setting the standard!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
ParkHyattDC, General Manager at Park Hyatt Washington, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear joehfromnyc,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share such wonderful comments from your recent stay with us. It is truly a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed our hotel, including our location in the city. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards,
Highland Park, IL
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed here one night and were very happy with the service and room. They make you feel special here - we were attended to right from when we pulled up in the driveway. The hotel looks great inside, and I love the deal they had in which we got adjoining rooms with the second room at half price (so helpful when you have teen children, as we do). Beds were comfortable and the rooms were quiet. The exercise room had good equipment and plenty of machines. Didn't use the pool but it looked nice.

Location of the hotel is fine as long as you don't need to be right downtown. I like this neighborhood a lot better than the downtown area. You're within easy walking distance to DuPont Circle with all of its great shops and interesting restaurants. Downtown is still pretty easy to access by foot if you don't mind a bit of a walk.

The only fly in the ointment was that our air conditioning didn't work well (a fan had broken). It was rather warm in our room even after the AC had been on for several hours. The hotel promptly sent a technician up when we called. He wasn't able to immediately fix the problem with the fan, but the room did cool nicely after he worked on it a little.

We'll definitely consider this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,042 helpful votes
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had a major event here, over a 2-day period and quite complicated to pull off. The execution was impeccable (except for some confusion over room assignments, but this was due more to weaknesses of the Hyatt central reservation system). The rooms are classy and understated - typical of the Park Hyatt brand. Service is flawless. Decent gym. The restaurant Blue Duck Tavern is a destination eatery. Rooms can be noisy, though.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lam N,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay. I also want to thank you for selecting Park Hyatt as the venue for your special event. I am happy to read that overall, you were very pleased with your experience here as a guest and patron of Blue Duck Tavern. We hope to welcome you back again.

Kind Regards,