“Lovely, elegant hotel”

Ranked #22 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Lovely, elegant hotel”
Reviewed 16 February 2009

What a nice hotel. I was going to stay at the Fairmont across the street, but others in my group were at the Hyatt so I stayed too. I was not sure I was making a good choice but was delighted that I did decide to stay there. I had a one bedroom suite with everything I could need (well, no ironing board/iron but they surely would have brought one.)

The room was gorgeous, elegant and comfortable. The room service was great, and the bathroom was large, sleek and very European. Rainfall shower, well-appointed; all very nice. The flat screen TV spun on a kind of neat "wall" between the bedroom and living area. It was a good solution to a multiple TV room.

The restaurant, Blue Duck Tavern, had a nice open kitchen and great food.

The hotel was not inexpensive, but comparable to the nicest in DC.

VERY nice. Good job, Hyatt.

• Liked — Serene, clean, thoughtfully done
  • Disliked — View of not much.... an alley, I think
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank withkidstravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle
Reviewed 27 January 2009

We spent a week at the Park Hyatt during Barack Obama's Inauguration--the hotel was running at full capacity and our experience there was flawless. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. They quickly came to recognize us and greeted us warmly whenever we came and went. Everyone we encountered--from the cleaning staff to the hotel engineer who came to fix a problem with our tv--were enormously polite, cheerful and great at their jobs. (The problem with the tv was some sort of software issue. Rather than inconvenience us while they figured it out, they replaced it. It was about 30 minutes from reporting the problem to having a new tv on the wall. And the engineer offered a free movie to make up for the trouble.)

The room--a park suite--was huge, with an enormously long sofa and comfy swiveling side chairs. Flat screens in both the living room and bedroom offered a decent number of channels (including MSNBC and CSPAN 1 and 2). There are so many quality touches in this place: a tiny but really good espresso machine with excellent china cups. Lovely Reidel glasses on the bar. Water by your bed nightly. Frette linens, a fluffy down duvet and plush towels. The mattress was exceptionally comfortable and the feather pillows lovely.

The bathroom was very large and quite beautiful with a massive "wet area" for the walk-in shower (rain shower head and hand sprayer) and generously sized deep soaking tub. The walk-in closet was also unusually large, well laid out and stocked with plenty of hangers. (I'd requested this in advance, and unlike most places I've stayed, they actually took care of it in advance.)

Perhaps it was because of the Inauguration, or maybe they're just this generous all the time, but we came home to occasional treats.
Desserts by the bed one night; a plate of fantastic prosciutto another; a bowl of perfect Lady Apples yet another. On Inauguration Day, we found a lovely nightscape photo of DC waiting for us.

Can't say enough good things about Blue Duck Tavern, which is in the hotel's lobby.
Room service comes from these folks and its the best we've ever had. If you're a serious tea drinker, be sure to try the afternoon tea. Exceptional experience that's more about the tea than the snacks.

Decent workout room and pleasant, if small, pool. Our only complaints about the hotel: the music playing in the pool area that couldn't be turned off. It's a small quibble. The other issue: the lighting in the living room wasn't adequate. One end of the room--where the dining/work table sat, was entirely unlit and really quite dark. We called and requested an extra lamp, and they quickly brought one.

Small problems in an otherwise fantastic hotel.

• Liked — Great design, great service
  • Disliked — Inadequate lighting in living room
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan B
Montana
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I have been to Washington DC four times now, but this was my first stay at the Park Hyatt Washington DC-and I will always stay here on future trips. If you want a short list of the reasons why you should stay there, I would say location, spacious rooms, elegant room and hotel decor, refined service, and an out-of-this world restaurant and tea cellar top the list.
In terms of location, it was a five-minute walk to the Foggy Bottom/GWU metro stop through a lovely mixed residental/commercial neighboorhood that was wonderfully quiet and safe at night.
The deluxe rooms were worth every penny to me. The linens on the bed were exceptionally comfortable and I loved how the flat screen tv swiveled so that you could watch tv in bed or in the living room area. The bathroom was beautifully designed if you love contemporary style and I especially loved the rain shower. The towels and robes in this hotel are also worth mentioning-thick and plush. Other touches such as fresh flowers and lots of lights that could be adjusted for brightness gave the room a special touch. On the downside, I can see how two or more people staying in this room would have a hard time with wardrobe/luggage storage or if you aren't a light packer in general. While my room was usually quiet, I did hear footsteps from the room above mine on a few occasions when trying to go to sleep. The worst thing I can say about the room was that
one morning there was water dripping from the ceiling around a light fixture in my bathroom! Not exactly five star standards.
The restaurant-the Blue Duck Tavern-and the tea cellar are worth staying at this hotel for, as is the room service. Impeccable service and delectable food without question. The mashed potatoes were the best I have ever had, the steak fries lived up to their repuation (read the reviews of the food critics), and the cheesecake worth every calorie. I ordered room service two nights and my food arrived in ten minutes flat both nights-correct, complete, perfect temperature, and beautifully arranged.
I agree with the reviewer who said the pool/fitness area is hard to find. I had to weave through the entire third floor and then down a stairwell to get there. It was worth it though, as the pool area and whirlpool were perfect after a day of touring (I didn't use the fitness area). I enjoyed doing laps in the pool-the water wasn't too warm/too cold and wasn't overly chlorinated-and lounging in the whirlpool. The pool area/fitnessa area was more than sufficient for my standards, but I do have to say that it in no way lived up to the Park Hyatt's in Chicago! Two downfalls-no changing rooms or showers.
Finally, the service aspect. I was impressed with the service here. The staff always greeted me in the halls with a smile and warm greeting, held open the front doors, got an elevator for me, etc. and were always efficient and polite.
I did get locked out of my room one day after coming back from the pool one day as the desk clerk who checked me in didn't program my room key correctly. I had to go down to the front desk in my soggy clothes (as I had put them on over my swimsuit just to go back to my room) and dripping hair to have it fixed. The staff was apolegetic and fixed the problem quickly, but it was still embarassing for me!
Overall my experience at the Park Hyatt Washington was superb and I would stay here again in a hearbeat. I few minor flaws here and there, but I haven't been to a "perfect" hotel yet anywhere.

• Liked — Room service, bathroom-esp. the rain shower, location, and hotel/room decor
  • Disliked — Low pressure toliets in rooms and no locker rooms/showers in pool/fitness area
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 January 2009

The hotel itself is amazing. The rooms are spacious and well designed. Luxury, however, is about service and frankly, the front desk staff falls short. When we checked in, we were told that we would have to wait for our room, as they noted that we had requested a quiet room and that one would be available to us shortly. The wait was not a problem. However, I was very disappointed when we learned our room was the first one off the elevator block and facing a noisy street. Not a quiet room by any standard. I must recognize that other services, including laundry, in-room dining and other hotel staff were very helpful. But leave it to front desk staff to kill the moment again. As a Platinum Hyatt member, I have never had any problem scheduling a late check out. Yet I was given a very difficult time here. I honestly felt like I had to negotiate for even an extra half hour. I was told that my room was already reserved for another guest, yet the person who told me this, afterward had to ask me for my room number, because obviously it wasn't my room exactly that was spoken for. Additionally, I did a quick search and the hotel was not sold out and so obviously it wasn't a capacity issue. Its frustrating to have to deal with that when you're expecting 5 star service. Again, hotel is great - but if you're looking for an all-around 5 star service, the falls short. They try, but they fall short.

• Liked — The rooms - the bathroom
  • Disliked — The front desk service.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Washington, DC
Reviewed 6 January 2009

This is the saddest 5-star hotel you will ever stay in. Christmas, and everything angular and painted dark brown, with a touch of light brown for visual relief. The max. 40-watt bulbs are reminiscent of the former Romania. Did the designer ever read a book in the hotel rooms? Was the designer color-blind, or seriously depressed?

Tip: the Canadian hotel across the street is gorgeous, warm, tasteful, cheerful.

The Hyatt staff are polite, but Housekeeping needs a bit of work. Neglecting to stock the toilet tissue, so that the hotel guest is left without at the critical moment, is a faux pas.

What else can I say? The location is good, between downtown and Georgetown. The hotel itself is visually hideous.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The ugliest 5-star hotel you will ever stay in.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 20007
Boston, MA
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Having stayed in many fabulous upscale hotels around the world, I wasn't sure what to expect with the Park Hyatt. My husband booked it through his American Express Travel group. Upon arrival we were upgraded to suites for my husband and I, as well as our teenage children. The lobby is very clean, airy and open. Staff was friendly, courteous, addressed you by name, and very warm overall. The bathrooms were terrific and the towels wonderful I even took a delightful bath! Each and every staff member made us feel very welcome, and comfortable in every way. The rooms were HUGE, open and fun. Architecturally well through out. Breakfast were lovely in the downstairs eating area. The whole place was visually very appealing. I would absolutely want to stay here again. The professionalism and upscale feel of the hotel was remarkable. I would suggest a better array of pillows for the beds and I would also suggest a possible humidifier in the rooms, as I woke up both nights with major dryness. Other than that, I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to the DC area, just as long as they don't take my suite when I'm coming!

• Liked — Modern feel
  • Disliked — The pillows and the dryness in the room at night
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank paige1
Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I really loved this hotel but had one bad experience which results in the 4 versus 5 star rating.

Let's start by saying this hotel is really, really nice...I loved the downstairs bar and restaurant and tea room. The rooms are modern but cozy and we loved our room and the beautiful shower. There are interesting books to peruse in the room and the bed is wonderful.

The bad experience was that they were doing heavy construction on our floor...and that the staff lied directly to my face three times (2 from one person, then I asked that we go back downstairs to double check with the manager who also lied to me) saying that there would absolutely be no construction from 6pm on Friday until 8am on Monday. On Saturday morning the workers started the drilling and hammering in the room literally right next door to ours! I really dislike being lied to. When we called, they said they would ask them to stop. When it didn't, we went downstairs where we were finally told by another manager that in fact it would be going on all weekend. To their credit, they offered to move us to a suite (by this time, it was Saturday afternoon and we were checking out on Sunday) - why not offer this initially? They sent up wine and credit our account for the one night that we were paying for via points. Hence, the 4 stars, not less.

I don't know if I would recommend this hotel - I probably would with a caveat that the staff will tell you things just to make their day easier so to be aware.

• Liked — The comfortable rooms and the cozy lounge downstairs
  • Disliked — Being lied to about nearby construction
  • Stayed November 2008