“Its awful and More like a Motel 6”

Park Hyatt Washington
Ranked #24 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 5 August 2009

When I finally got to room I was really disappointed. The Park Hyatt in Chicago is exceptional in every way, and the Park Hyatt in DC is like a Motel 6.

Please see my blog at http://talesfromtheroad-mwalno.blogspot.com

Let me tell you a story about service....the guy I was traveling with was staying at the Westin DC City Center (1400 M Street NW) and we walked 10 blocks there after our appointment ended in the afternoon (it was really hot and humid). When we arrived we were hot and sweaty (not a pretty sight); one of the girls behind the counter welcomed us with a big smile and asked us to wait for a minute - when she returned she had two cold/wet face towels and 2 bottles of water. She said the weather was terrible and she wanted to do all she could to make us comfortable. My buddy checked in ($205 a night) and I caught a cab to the Park Hyatt.

When I arrived, the bellman helped me out and I noticed he had an ear piece in. He asked my name and I told him - I kind of expected him to tell the front desk, but he didn't. I still don't know why they have them.

The front desk couldn't find my reservation and it took at least 10 minutes to get checked in - no towel and no water bottle.

It is NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would stay in that Westin every time in DC without a second thought. Its all about the service, and there is little (if any) at the Park Hyatt.

A few of things that I hated - there was a QT storm (Ozone) machine in the room running when I arrived - that is usually a sign that someone smoked in the room - I called the front desk to inquire and was told that is just done to keep the rooms fresh -- I have NEVER had that happen to me in a few hundred nights on the road in the past 2 years---and it ran the entire time I was there. There was definitely a funky smell in the room.

Oh, that is just one thing I hated and there are many more: the clock is a cube and its impossible to see the time and doesn't light at night, the shower blows - there is a rain shower and a wall shower and neither has much water pressure, there was NO PAPER on my door in the morning - I saw a black paper bag on other doors (PH Chicago asks which paper you want at check in) and the fitness center elliptical machines all squeaked. The room itself was sub par.

There is NO LUXURY HERE. It is a complete waste of money to stay here.

And if you are a preferred member of Hyatt's loyalty program you are just another customer rolling through the door.

Total - $345 + 49.66 tax + .36 DC Package tax = $395.02 (remember the story about my buddy at the Westin for $200)

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank mwalno

Reviewed 1 August 2009

Rooms are modern decor.I had 2 rooms(1 corner suite which was huge and absolutely modern chic connecting to a double room which was also great.
Value for money when you travelling with kids.Family package 2nd room for $75 p/night.
Great stay.Conciege and all employees were very polite and helpful.Will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Airwolf100
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Our Park Hyatt whotel stay was the best in our travel experience, which is extensive. As mentioned in other reviews, the staff was beyond phenomenal. You were greeted in a pleasant manner by every member of the staff regardless of where they worked in the hotel. The desk staff and door attendants were more than helpful; each person went out of their way to ensure we had an enjoyable stay in Washington DC.

The hotel had complimentary bicycles, which were new, and included helmets and locks. We were able to bike around to monuments and memorials instead of walking (which you could do). When distance was an issue we used the metro, which is a short walk from the hotel, to get to other places.

The room was wonderful for a 4 day/3 night stay. It had an extremely comfortable bed, large rain shower, and soaking tub, flat screen rotating television, large sitting, and wonderful décor. The restaurant was pricey, but the hotel is in Georgetown and within short walking distance of many restaurants and cafés. I highly recommend Furinos of Georgetown for breakfast. We ate there daily for breakfast and met some wonderful people while dining outside. The Guards, a few doors down, was a nice, pub that had a good lunch menu (very lean corned beef).

The fitness room has all you could want for a workout, including aerobic balls, medicine balls, free weights, weight machines, ample treadmills, and some elliptical machines. The pool and workout room are in a strange location.

Fabulous stay all around!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We read the reviews on tripadvisor and looked at the photos and it seemed like the best value for our money in the area- and were we ever right! We just got back from a 2-night stay over the July 4th weekend and for $224 a night (we used our AAA discount), we booked a Park room but they upgraded us to a deluxe room. The rooms were serene and beautiful, and they had the romm prepared exactly the way we had asked for it to be- with a crib for our baby and a fridge... They even provided a child-sized bathrobe for our baby and some complimentary baby cosmetics for him! The bathrooms were spa-like and gorgeous. But the best part of all was the service- the staff were helpful and friendly from start to finish. They made us feel pampered and valued. It was a luxury experience all the way around, and I would recommend this hotel wholeheartedly! We had a great time!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank travelling_surgeon
Reviewed 24 May 2009

I've been staying at the Park Hyatt since the renovation; each time I return the service is even better than the last stay. As a Hyatt Diamond Member I've never been treated better at any Hyatt, and I've stayed at all most ever Hyatt in the U.S. From the moment I walked up to the hotel everyone called me by my last name. From room service to housekeeping the Park Hyatt has it act together, 5 STARS hands down. Rooms are modern, and nicely done; the bathrooms are spectacular with a rain forest shower to a soaking tub.

The Blue Duck Tavern, and room service are priced well for a city hotel of this quality. The bar has one of the best wine selections I have seen at a hotel bar, and the mid day tea is a must. Fitness Center is well equipped with free weights and machines, a hot tub and indoor pool.

The location is tops, just a few blocks from Georgetown, the Metro, Dupont Circle, Embassy Row, and Rock Creek Park. This has become my home away from home can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2009

I normally stay at the Ritz DC when I visit my daughter at school but I got a better rate at the Park Hyatt and I was anxious to try it. I really loved the hotel. It was quiet and elegant. The food is outrageously priced but that's no different than any major city hotel. Same for the valet parking. The bathroom was very dark and that's really my only complaint. The location is fabulous. The best part about this hotel, however, was the staff. Each and every time they were presented with the opportunity to greet me and/or help me, they went above and beyond what was required. I genuinely felt like a valued guest.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2009

What a nice hotel. I was going to stay at the Fairmont across the street, but others in my group were at the Hyatt so I stayed too. I was not sure I was making a good choice but was delighted that I did decide to stay there. I had a one bedroom suite with everything I could need (well, no ironing board/iron but they surely would have brought one.)

The room was gorgeous, elegant and comfortable. The room service was great, and the bathroom was large, sleek and very European. Rainfall shower, well-appointed; all very nice. The flat screen TV spun on a kind of neat "wall" between the bedroom and living area. It was a good solution to a multiple TV room.

The restaurant, Blue Duck Tavern, had a nice open kitchen and great food.

The hotel was not inexpensive, but comparable to the nicest in DC.

VERY nice. Good job, Hyatt.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank withkidstravel