“A fantastic Kimpton Hotel”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #79 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I am a frequent business traveler (>25 trips in the past year) often to DC. I have stayed in this hotel more than 50 times over the past three years. I try to stay exclusively at Kimpton Hotels, and the Rouge is one of my favorites of all time (I think I've stayed in about 15 Kimptons altogether). The hotel typically has government rates if booked at least two weeks in advance. The hotel is in a great location within easy walking distance of DuPont Circle and the White House. The rooms are very large, stylish and were recently updated with new carpets, walls, furniture, etc. The beds are probably the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in.

What makes the Rouge superior to even other great Kimptons is the service. While there has been turnover in the management and staff at the Rouge since I started staying there a few years ago, what has remained constant is their friendly and truly "whatever it takes" attitude towards customer service.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank 63Spyder
Allan0117, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear 63Spyder,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! I'm happy that we are able to provide you with exceptional service in the last 3 years. Also thank you very much for being loyal Kimpton fan. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to make your stay more memorable on your next visit.

Many thanks,

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Rouge Hotel

Reviewed 9 August 2011

I had to attend a professional conference in DC while traveling home from New York State with my family of four. And, we have a dog and were pulling a trailer! The people at Rouge were great with all of it, and cheerful to boot. Steve and Jose were particularly helpful, but everyone was friendly and inviting. The hotel has a nice boutique feel,and the rooms are spacious and clean. The location is good (but not great) as it is about 4-5 blocks from Dupont Circle and the Metro. There is a Whole Foods grocery 2 blocks away and a CVS. Many restaurants of varied price ranges can be found within a 3-4 block walk. The immediate area is mixed residential and converted houses (to offices of agencies and such). It feels safe and comfortable in the neighborhood. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Dear dryflyny,

Very glad you and your family had a great stay at the Rouge Hotel and Jose and Steve made a positive impact. Please visit us again soon. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here to see all the DC sights. We chose this hotel after looking at many options. From reading other reviews and looking at photos it seemed to us Rouge was a funky, fun, clean hotel with good service and I'm happy to say we found that to be true. We learned that Rouge would match any price we could find online and we found a cheaper price on Expedia. We also signed up for their Kimpton Hotels membership and that gave a few perks.
When we arrived at the hotel, we decided to park our car with their valet and the guys were really nice. We had looked around for other parking options as the cost per night was $36! But we couldn't find anything cheaper in the neighborhood. Most hotels in DC charge over $30/night for parking, or at least the ones we looked at did. I just had to add that to the nightly hotel rate and I still think we got a bit of a deal.
The one thing we had trouble with was the wi-fi. One of the Kimpton Hotel membership benefits was free wi-fi, which is normally about $10/night. I had trouble connecting to their wi-fi everyday of our 5 day stay. We were on the 7th floor and if I went into the bathroom area, I could connect, but as soon as I walked back over to the bed, I would lose the signal. It really was never a huge deal as I could just turn off wi-fi and use 3G, but if I had been there on business, it would have been annoying.
The hotel offered a Happy Hour one night while we were there. They offered great sangrias, wine and beer. It was much appreciated after a long hot day of walking around DC.
My husband and I opted to not eat or drink in the onsite bar. There are some cool restaurants, bars and a Whole Foods about 5 minutes away near Logan Circle.
We really appreciated the front desk check-in staff. They were very helpful and friendly.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We are staying at this hotel right now...the first wo nights were okay, the air was off in the room so it was humid and hot. The doors are old, the safe is placed so that it is hard to get into, the only good thing about this hotel is the happy hour. What really got me mad was the level of service at the hotel. Yesterday housekeeping came bursting into the room at 8:00 a.m., not a knock, just a yelling of housekeeping as they opened the door. Today, we had a do not disturb up until 9:30 a.m., left the room at 10 a.m. came back at 5:30 and room was not cleaned. When I called down, a very rude man told me housekeeping was gone for the day what did he want me to do come make the beds himself? My answer was Yes and he wasn't happy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank yeeski
Allan0117, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2011

Dear Yeeski,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience, I will certainly address your concern. We want to make things right for you, do you mind contacting me? My email address is allan.bella@rougehotel.com, 202-306-7768. I look forward hearing from you. So sorry again.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We just got back last night and I could not wait to write a review! We stayed at Rouge for 4 nights to celebrate our first anniversary. While booking we were asked if we were celebrating. When we arrived to check-in, as soon as we said our name, we were wished a Happy Anniversary. They upgraded our room to a Studio Suite from a King Deluxe. The room was incredible! We could have fit 4 more people in there with us. It was spotless to boot! We had a problem with the Keurig working and they immediately sent up another coffee maker. The mini-bar was great (and was used more then once). It wasn't your standard alcohol mini-bar! I loved the King size Kit-Kat when I was dying for a treat one day. The staff was beyong courteous and friendly and would do basically anything to make your stay enjoyable. The decor is very contemporary, just our style. If you are looking for something hip, fresh and different then any other hotel this is your place. They keep fresh water with lemon in the lobby so after a hot day in DC we would grab a drink before going to our room. Each night after getting back from dinner we would sit in the bar for a couple of drinks. I unfortunately didn't get her name, but there is a cute blonde bartender who was wonderful!! Rouge is a 10 minute walk to Dupont Circle. We enjoyed strolling through the neighborhood, walking to the Metro. There is also a bus stop right down the street. My husband and I cannot wait to go back! I cannot speak highly enough about Rouge and its staff! HIGHLY recommended to everyone young, old, couples and families. Thanks for everything!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anangel32003
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I am a Kimpton In Touch member and wanted to try a different Kimpton property while in DC for business. It was in walking distance of several Metro stops and a Whole Foods Market. I was extremely pleased with my room and the courteous staff. And the hors d'oeuvres with the complimentary wine hour were delicious! The only hiccup was an overcharge for the hospitality bar (you get a $10 credit as a Kimpton In Touch member). The management took care of it once I pointed out the inaccuracy.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Since this was a Kimpton property, I was expecting it to be just fine and then some. In reality, this place was like a theme hotel gone bad like a Vegas/ "Swingers" like hotel in DC. It was in need of a refresh. Chipped furniture, worn room, towels sub-par and so on.

On the positive side: free wifi and good location.

I won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Allan0117, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Dear Sucre,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on tripadvisor. We would like to make this right, do you mind giving me more information regarding your visit? You may contact me directly at 202-939-6403. I look forward hearing from you. Thank you for your business and enjoy your day.