“Modern and unique”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reston, Virginia
“Modern and unique”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I love Rouge! I have stayed there several times, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The themse is modern and of course includes a lot of red tones. The rooms are spacious, with cool furniture and accessories. They even include lepard and zebra robes for guests to use during their stay. They offer high quality shampoo and conditioners, and the shower gel smells kind of minty/aromatherapy-like, makes one relax when taking a nice hot shower after a long day. Beds are comfortable and they offer a lot of pillows some soft and other more firm, so can suit your personal taste. I've stayed in 3 different types of rooms: a regular king size room, a suite with a king size bed, bunk beds, and sitting area (very nice and spacious) - bunk beds were separated with curtains for privacy :) The third type of room was a king size, with sitting area and kitchenette - great if you are staying there for a while, so you can make your own coffee and eat a quick meal. Includes a microwave, coffee maker, fridge. It is conveniently located, so you can take metro or walk to many nearby attractions. It is a boutique hotel, so smaller than national chains. Definitely worth checking out.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room away from the elevator. They also allow pets, so might be worth asking if th...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear Ljd619. Thank you for sharing your experiences and recommending the Rouge to other travelers. We love that you enjoy our unique décor and great amenities. It is great to see comments from one of your frequent guests and to hear feedback about our different rooms! We’ll see you soon and thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
washington state
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Of the 3 Kimptons we stayed at on our east coast tour, this had the biggest room and I thought the best bang for my buck. The bath was smaller and the decor less glamorous than the Eventi property but adequate. The bed was OK, the pillows hard and uncomfortable. I give it a 4 because I thought the price was great given the location and prices of other hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear migobeachnow. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am pleased that you found us to be a great value! We look forward to hearing more feedback from your tour of the Kimpton Brand during your travels.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This is a cool trendy hotel, different from your average chain hotel. Easy to find and good location to do touristy things. The rooms are very large for a downtown city hotel and the decorations were very unique and fun. I would stay there again. Only had one small problem and I think this was more with an individual person. I called a day before check in to ask about parking gararges and the person who I spoke with had no idea or addresses or information about where to park my car, she suggested that I google it. So I did and I found a garage but she failed to tell me that the hotel offers valet parking and the fee for the parking. Upon check-in the desk attendant informed me of this and I parked my car at the hotel. Maybe she was new and didn't have this information. It was a good stay, nice place, and at the end of the day, the parking all worked out.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear karah5835. Thank you for your review. We love to hear that traveler’s find us to be unique and fun! We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to DC and thank you for being a Rouge fan!
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The girls at the front desk are super-nice and helpful. I was at the hotel for 5 days and by day 3 they remembered my name. Had a few requests and so I called the front desk all the time - never once did they sound bored with my requests or anything other than helpful. Room service was prompt, the cocktail vouchers a great idea after walking the town...
Overall, my stay was fantastic and even though I've seen better hotels in terms of decor etc. the staff more than make up for the little annoyances such as the slow elevator.
The only serious drawback, the hotel is a bit far from the metro. For that reason, I would choose Topaz next time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear AdelaTorontoOntario, Thank you for recommending our hotel to other travelers. We agree that our staff is amazing and friendly! We look forward to welcoming you back.
NYC
Reviewed 6 June 2012

What I liked: great location, friendly & helpful staff, funky theme, bathroom tiny but clean, comfy bed w/white comforter. Breakfast looked tasty but I was kind of in and out so didn't have time to get it. Lobby coffee was good.

OK, now for some nits (and I admit I'm kind of a clean freak). But, for $322 a night -- they could spiff it up a wee bit. Bathroom: paint on door was chipped in places; the "frosted" on one of the frosted glass shelves was worn off. If you're going to do the glitzy shiny surfaces thing in the lobby and elevator, you need to keep them shiny and wiped down. I also thought that the room's dark gray rug and dark walls were kind of gloomy but that's part of the design.

1 Thank Kathy P
Dear KathyP. Thank you for sharing your great comments about our location and service to other travelers. We are happy we that you had a great time and your honest feedback will help us continue to improve!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This is not a boring, off-white-paint style hotel. The decor is intentionally a little "high end cheesy", think Vegas meets DC, which makes for a nice party atmosphere. The staff is very helpful and friendly. They are very professional but avoid being stiff or snooty. The neighborhood is packed with hip bars and great restaurants. They had a complimentary wine service in the lobby at night and complimentary Bloody Mary and pizza in the morning. The bar had some great house cocktails. Try the Buddha punch. Also, if splitting the cost, the room is actually very cheap. Our room had six sleeping spaces! This is a really fun hotel.

Room Tip: If traveling in a large group, try the rooms with bunk beds. They are not just for kids!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear SaradaC. Thank you for sharing your experience and recommending the Rouge to other travelers. We love that you enjoyed our fun décor and great energy and we are so pleased to add you as a fan! We look forward to welcoming you back!
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Folks here really work to make your visit special. They are very customer friendly--and helpful.

Wish they had a concierge. Wish the bar area was open all day. It closes after breakfast and after lunch.

• Stayed July 2011