I was a little nervous booking the Hotel Rouge for our family. Even though the room had bunk beds, the hotel itself seemed a little too "cool" to be appropriate for us - two 40-somethings, one 75 year old mother in law and one 5 year old boy.
We were all pleased to discover that this hotel fit us perfectly! While it could have been a bit closer to walk to the metro, the location in regards to evening restaurants was fantastic. Below are our pros and cons.
- Room size. We booked the bunk bed room which has about 500 square feet of space. It's hard to capture the size of this room by photos. As you walk in, there is a king bed and a large floor space, along with a sofa and a chair. One wall is lined by a desk with a flat-panel TV. In an alcove (separated by a curtain) you'll find bunk beds with shelving and under-bed drawers, along with another flat-panel TV. There is a small dressing area with a chest of drawers and minibar and a small, but well-laid-out bathroom.
- Staff. Much more friendly than I would have expected and definitely not the attitude I've found at some W hotels. Very helpful and kind and all with a great sense of humor.
- Bathroom amenities. Much nicer than I would have expected at this price point.
- Free WiFi. Join their In-Touch frequent guest program and get free WiFi. Awesome.
- Afternoon wine reception. Much needed after a full day of touring...
- Location. It's a bit of a far walk to the metro and would have been fine for us if my mother in law didn't have some problems walking. We took a $7 cab daily to the American History Museum, then spent the rest of the day on foot.
- Restaurant. This used to be just a hip bar, so they're light on menu choices. What we had was quite tasty.
- Minibar. We had a $10 "raid the minibar" coupon, but the coolest stuff was a bit dusty and old looking. Better to have a smaller choice that is refreshed more often.
- Drawer space. Could use one more chest of drawers in the dressing area, considering this is a room for four.
My tip - check for specials. We booked into a Travel+Leisure family special and received breakfast daily (a superb value) and free tickets to the Spy Museum.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On Washington DC's historic Embassy Row, Kimpton Rouge Hotel is a superb luxury boutique accommodation. This Kimpton Hotel is a playful and colorful urban retreat at the doorstep of the city's top cultural and historic attractions. Within blocks of Dupont Circle and near the White House, National Mall and countless museums and galleries, the alluring Kimpton Rouge Hotel entices with its rejuvenating décor, exceptional service, signature amenities and adjacent Bar Rouge lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kimpton Rouge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kimpton Washington Dc