“funky and trendy”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #78 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 November 2013

great service, everyone was friendly and helpful. if you valet your car, be prepared that it will take 30 min to retrieve it so call ahead/plan accordingly. hotel was strangely a bit tricky to find for our gps, and for uber, but after a few goes around the rotary we managed. decent breakfast, complimentary wine at happy hour and coffee in the morning in the lobby was a nice touch. fitness center is small and the lights are motion detected so for some reason 30 min into my workout the lights went off so i had to either continue to run in the dark or stop and walk around the door, even though i was in there moving anyway. was pet friendly which we loved and they even brought us up dog beds which was very kind of them. Also was super impressed with their eco friendly practices - very impressive (despite my fitness center mishap). overall vibe and atmosphere was fun, friendly, and funky.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear lam012289. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to DC and the Hotel Rogue’s great service, accommodations and unique vibe. Thank you for letting other travelers know about your good experience and we look forward to welcoming you back.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Rouge Hotel

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I really liked this hotel, it's the sort of colour scheme that you either love or hate, and I loved it. The front desk service was excellent and the location near the White House , DuPont circle etc was great. I would have been happy to give thus a 5 star review, but a couple of things let them down.

The breakfast was odd , not particularly nice and the staff unhelpful. The worst thing was the little fruit flies that were all over the eating area. I don't know if this was rotten food or something but it was most unpleasant .

On departure we asked for a taxi to the airport. We were told that the hotel limo service was going to the airport and that we could have this but only have to pay the normal taxi price ($60 ish). However on arrival at the airport the driver asked for $95 . It felt like we had been set up, and reluctantly after telling the driver that this was a set up paid him €80.

I later tried yo contact the Rouge via the website contact page. I have written twice now and not received any response or acknowledgement .

Really disappointing end to a great stay in Washington, and appalling customer service..

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Bernard F. Thank you for your feedback! I am so disappointed that your visit was tainted by the car service to the airport. We do work with some drivers and we strickly enforce proper quotes prior to guest’s agreeing to the service. I will be sure to find out who this driver was and be sure that he/she is not used again! I am disappointed that there were fruit flies around the buffet at breakfast. That’s gross! I don’t hear that often and when we do get ANY reports of bugs, we immediately get our pest control guy out to take care of it. I will be sure that the servers are also letting me know right away even if they even see ONE!

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Rouge because of the reviews. It's fine, but really nothing special. The staff is friendly, the restaurant was really bad!!! They had one guy working who seemed new, they had no sugar, get eating utensils was a chore and the food was not very good. I asked for some bread with butter and was given 4 pieces of bread that was hard as a rock and no butter. I ordered iced tea and it was the absolute worst, I mean it's just iced tea, how can you mess that up . He said they didn't have that so he made some himself....
We waited forever for service not enough staff to provide the proper service.
The rooms were nice, but again nothing special. We would likely try another hotel on our next visit to DC.
The bell staff was excellent, friendly and always making the extra effort.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear MyChickie. Ouch! We are not used to hearing that our guest’s did not enjoy us but please know that your feedback is very valuable. I hope that you will try us again and experience the great visit that you deserve and that most of our guests are familiar with.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Rouge Hotel is nice, clean, has spacious room and de staff is really friendly. Our Queen Queen Deluxe room was cleaned daily and was nicely furnished with big COMFORTABLE queen size beds. The room was spacious enough and we had no problem getting rid of three suitcases. We stayed here as a family of three (including one partially disabled family member) for 4 nights. We slept like babies :-).

The breakfast offered wasn't really special but basic and good enough to kick start the day in a satisfied fashion. Rouge is located within walking distance of Dupont Circle, one of the hot spots for culinary enjoyments and night life. Also located very close to main attractions Iike The White House. It was Halloween and Rouge was nicely decorated in this theme which was a nice touch.

The most enjoyable and memorable part of our stay was this genuine friendly young lady at the reception desk that proactively offered to find out information about wheelchair accessible sightseeing options on our next stop which was NYC. So we received a few print outs with valuable information. That was SO kind! That attitude was/is real hospitality in action. Rouge is definitely worth a stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear GlobeTraveler1973. Thank you for your review. Genuine Service, clean and comfortable rooms and unique style is exactly what we are going for! Thanks for noticing and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I went on a 4-5 extended long weekend with my brother about three weeks ago. I has stayed at Kimpton Madera on a business trip and was impressed, so I researched Kimpton looking for options. This was a notch down in price, probably based on location -- it is 5-6 blocks from Dupont Circle and not quite as close to a Metro station as the Madera. But everything about the place was up to the same standard. With CAA We paid about $200/night for a good-sized room with two queen beds. We found the hotel to be very clean, and our room was made up perfectly every day while we were out.

We were in town to do some sightseeing as well as to attend an NHL and NFL game. Didn't mind walking an extra block or two to a metro. We didn't really partake in the wine hour or the breakfasts so I can't speak to that, but there were some very good restaurants two blocks away, I think on O or N. In fact, we were given a list of local eateries by the desk staff, who were courteous and helpful.

I am fussy about cleanliness, I am pretty insistent on getting value for money, and I want the staff to be responsive and helpful when I need them. Full marks to the Rouge. I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear VW824. Thank you for staying at the Rouge during your recent visit to DC. Looks like we have a new Kimpton Fan! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

My boyfriend and I loved this hotel. With red free wine and nibbles every evening, we did suspect we would love it but the service was also fantastic. The staff were extremely friendly and helped me out with ordering takeaway from a local chinese takeaway when my boyfriend was feeling too ill to go out.

The rooms were spacious and clean, the gym was fit for purpose and there were lots of added extras like bath robes (although it was a little scratchy). Become a member of Kimpton hotels - it is absolutelty free and you receive a free $10 bar credit! I defintiely recommend this hotel, which is also very central and within walking distance of all the sights!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maceln
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Maceln. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our service, location and unique decor! I am also pleased that you enjoyed the perks that come with being a Kimpton InTouch member including a $10 minibar credit and free internet! Looks like we have a new fan! Thank you!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our 4 night stay could not have been more enjoyable! The Rouge is clean, great location for our venue, and, most of all the staff (all) made us feel welcome and at home. The staff was friendly, gave information when asked, helped in planning for a family/friend get-together before the wedding. I would highly recommend this hotel, and, yes, when back in the DC area, I plan to stay there. Ann from Kentucky.

Room Tip: My daughter, grandson, and I had a queen/queen with bunk beds...front side, but, the street noise di...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank adeatherage
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear adeatherage. We love that we made your granddaughter’s wedding more memorable for you! Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back!