“Below par for Kimpton” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Below par for Kimpton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

While the Rouge was perfectly fine, it was not as great as other Kimpton properties in the area.

We stayed in room 1007 on the top floor. The room was large and well appointed but the bathroom was small, very small. Usually Kimpton prides itself on luxurious bathrooms, some with walk in showers and Fiji tubs. This one was tiny and simple. Even the shampoo was wall mounted rather than small bottles.

Additionally, parking is $42.00 plus tax! Brings the rate to about $50 which is New York prices. Crazy expensive. Find street parking on the weekend if possible.

Green Features: I choose Kimpton for a number of reasons. Their green friendly programs are a nice touch but the wine happy hour ranks a bit higher in my opinion.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear mttaylor9. Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Rouge and for the valuable feedback! Below par is not what we are used to hearing but we appreciate your comments very much!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Turkish first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I have been at the hotel several times in the past few years and it never let's us down. My gal pals and I stay here for what we call "Ladies trip" this particular trip was my birthday and three of my friends planned a trip to bar crawl in Adams Morgan

Costumer service/hospitality: They greeted us and helped us with our bags. We had no issues with checking in. There is limited parking but we found a spot.

The room: Amazing! Retro style rooms give you a feel of everything fun about the 60's and was very much like a Andy Warhol tribute. The room were very spacious too. Imagine a bunch of girl stuff all over the place and still having room to move, change clothes, do hair and make up and, still have plenty of extra space. The beds were soft and comfortable and the the room was clean.

We had been in our about an hr when the front desk came to our room with 4 huge red velvet cupcakes to wish me a happy birthday. How sweet is that?

Later, when we were ready to go out the front desk called us a called and then called our room to let us know when it arrived. So awesome
We really get amazing treatment when we stay here and we will continue to return for "Ladies trip" as long as the amazing service continues!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Karla R
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Karla R. “Best girls night out in DC” is a huge compliment and I thank you for letting other travelers know about your great experience! We love making special occasions even more special and memorable and we are so pleased that we did so with yours. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I love the decor! The staff was friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed the wine at happy hour in the lobby. We had a dog with us, and folks were quite welcoming of her.

I was on the street side, so it was a bit noisy... my only negative comment about the whole experience. Would definitely stay there again, and would ask to not be on the street side. Another in our party did not have an issue until traffic started early in the morning, but she is a better sleeper than I, I guess.

Room Tip: Ask to not be on the street side.
Green Features: The chain, and hotel, are very environmentally friendly, and encourage the patrons to be the same.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear revjcs. Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on providing a unique experience as well as a clean, comfortable and welcoming atmosphere so we thank you for noticing! We look forward to welcoming you back!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I booked a room at Rouge to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. The staff was great - super friendly! We enjoyed the wine hour and had a really fun time exploring the neighborhood. The room was huge. We were on the 9th floor and faced the rear of the building. My only (minor) complaint is that we could hear the elevator motor running throughout the night, otherwise a great time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear melissaa_williams. We love that we made your husband’s 50th birthday more memorable for you! Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Like all Kimptom properties, this one is unqiue, boutique and innovative. The Rouge (Red) theme plays throughout, from the red lobby sparkling tile to the headboard - plus one night free valet parking for guests with a red car. Evening free wine and bourbon happy hour is a treat in the lobby, though it is quite chilly in the winter due to the front entrance doors. Free cold pizza and bloody marys make for a good morning, as does their coffee service, which I missed due to sleeping oh so well in the incrediblly comfortable king bed. Hotel staff were all friendly and attentive, and I especially appreciated that housekeeping held my ipad charger I had left in the room until I returned to pick it up. From check in to check out, The Rouge creates an incredibly lovely stay. Lastly, the location is pretty central near downtown, Dupont and the trendy U Street corridor too.

Room Tip: City View is near Scott Circle and the Australian Embassy. Room 604 is near the end of the hallway a...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear ViewsAndReviews. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience at the Rouge and that you found us to be unique, friendly and comfortable at the same time. That’s exactly what we’re going for!
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Great style as usual, and always love the pet-friendly atmosphere. Dealt with two different front desk staff though, who weren't as helpful as usual. The first told me that he couldn't see my status as an In-Touch member (though I booked it through the In-Touch site), and acted like he was doing me a favor to give me the wifi and minibar credit. The other was simply bored and not interested in us. When we said we'd be back in an hour, he gave us that "so why are you telling me this" look.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JenSavPat. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed our great style and atmosphere! I am sorry that the front desk staff was not very attentive. I don’t receive a lot of negative feedback about our staff, but all comments are taken seriously and are helpful in making us become the best place to stay in DC!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding block and couldn't have been more pleased with our experience. From check-in to check-out, the staff at this hotel were all extremely courteous and attentive. The rooms are in great shape, the bar is trendy, and the hotel offers a complimentary wine and hot-tottie (probably seasonal) hour from 5-6pm every night. We would like to call out Harold, who not only remembered both my and my wife's names, but also took the time to ask us about the wedding, our sightseeing, and our stay. It is rare to find this kind of personalization for this price. The Kimpton Rouge is in an excellent hotel, and as my second Kimpton stay (the other being in NYC), I am more convinced than ever that I should look for Kimpton hotels in any city I plan to visit.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear jeadland. Thank you for letting other travelers know about your great experience at the Rouge! We love to hear from our Kimpton fans and we look forward to hearing more feedback when you return to us or any of our other great locations!