“clean, welcoming, comfortable rooms, great value”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #85 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Our first visit at a Kimpton hotel, and we were impressed. The staff was friendly and had no problem accommodating my request for a pet free floor due to allergies. The executive king was very spacious, clean, quiet, and the bed quite comfortable. At check in I mentioned we were celebrating our 12 year anniversary, and upon returning from dinner we found a bottle of bubbly and cupcakes. Very thoughtful! As others mentioned, join the free InTouch program. This property gives you one night free parking if you drive a red car, which we were able to take advantage of. We liked the shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, and appreciated they were in pumps on the shower wall, rather than having a bunch of tiny wasteful bottles. Other travelers suggested the red decor was a bit too much, but we didn't mind it. Some things could use a touch up - such as torn wallpaper in the elevator - but the overall quality and experience far outweighs any minor issues. We will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for pet free floor if you have allergies.
1  Thank dailyfam
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear dailyfam. Thank you very much for choosing the Rouge and I am so pleased that we made your anniversary more memorable! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,892)

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Very nice hotel, but more importantly the staff went above and beyond the call of duty. I (stupidly) left some stuff behind in my room, but the extremely helpful and responsive Tina Nguyen followed up and mailed my stuff to me just a day later. What a lifesaver! :) They've won my loyalty!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank san1969

Dear san1969. Going above and beyond is what we do best and I'm glad it shows. Thank you for giving Tina a shout out. She works hard to make sure our guests are well taken care of and she loves every moment of it! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Very nice atmosphere and comfortable room. Had trouble with the wifi but the customer service was excellent! Gabriele, Harald Han and Tina Nguyen all exceeded my expectations for great customer service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear sespino. Exceeding your expectations is what we love to hear! Our team is excited that you had a great visit at the Rouge and we thank you for taking the time to write such a great review!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Went to this hotel for a short visit to DC during MLK Day weekend. Got a great deal through their actual website, which these days is quite rare.
I highly recommend becoming a "Kimpton In Touch Member" it costs nothing, and it gets you free wifi, and a $10 coupon towards the mini-bar in your room!
I chose Rouge in lieu of the other Kimpton hotel's in the area because the deal was really good. $100 before tax, was too much to pass up.
The pros - the staff is very friendly, the hotel is in a convenient location, they have a bar in the hotel - good for a late night drink, or breakfast the next morning, and the room was quite spacious!
The cons - the room was a little worn - wallpaper was showing its age, the lock on the minibar was broken, and there was a tear in the bed frame at the foot of the bed, the internet (although free) was pretty slow - I have an ipad and my boyfriend has a laptop that we both like to use, and it seemed to strain the wifi, and our bathroom was pretty small - this may have been remedied w/ a larger room, but I never found out.
Overall, I would absolutely stay here again, just because everyone at the front desk was so friendly and willing to answer my questions, and that goes a long way in my book. Plus it might not be in the center of everything - but it's a short walk from some great lunch and dinner spots!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Amanda V. Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers and for the valuable feedback! We are continuously making improvements based on our guest reviews! I am also pleased that you joined our Kimpton InTouch program and enjoyed the benefits that come along with being a Kimpton Fan! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

While the Rouge was perfectly fine, it was not as great as other Kimpton properties in the area.

We stayed in room 1007 on the top floor. The room was large and well appointed but the bathroom was small, very small. Usually Kimpton prides itself on luxurious bathrooms, some with walk in showers and Fiji tubs. This one was tiny and simple. Even the shampoo was wall mounted rather than small bottles.

Additionally, parking is $42.00 plus tax! Brings the rate to about $50 which is New York prices. Crazy expensive. Find street parking on the weekend if possible.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mttaylor9. Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Rouge and for the valuable feedback! Below par is not what we are used to hearing but we appreciate your comments very much!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I have been at the hotel several times in the past few years and it never let's us down. My gal pals and I stay here for what we call "Ladies trip" this particular trip was my birthday and three of my friends planned a trip to bar crawl in Adams Morgan

Costumer service/hospitality: They greeted us and helped us with our bags. We had no issues with checking in. There is limited parking but we found a spot.

The room: Amazing! Retro style rooms give you a feel of everything fun about the 60's and was very much like a Andy Warhol tribute. The room were very spacious too. Imagine a bunch of girl stuff all over the place and still having room to move, change clothes, do hair and make up and, still have plenty of extra space. The beds were soft and comfortable and the the room was clean.

We had been in our about an hr when the front desk came to our room with 4 huge red velvet cupcakes to wish me a happy birthday. How sweet is that?

Later, when we were ready to go out the front desk called us a called and then called our room to let us know when it arrived. So awesome
We really get amazing treatment when we stay here and we will continue to return for "Ladies trip" as long as the amazing service continues!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Karla R
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Karla R. “Best girls night out in DC” is a huge compliment and I thank you for letting other travelers know about your great experience! We love making special occasions even more special and memorable and we are so pleased that we did so with yours. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I love the decor! The staff was friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed the wine at happy hour in the lobby. We had a dog with us, and folks were quite welcoming of her.

I was on the street side, so it was a bit noisy... my only negative comment about the whole experience. Would definitely stay there again, and would ask to not be on the street side. Another in our party did not have an issue until traffic started early in the morning, but she is a better sleeper than I, I guess.

Room Tip: Ask to not be on the street side.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear revjcs. Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on providing a unique experience as well as a clean, comfortable and welcoming atmosphere so we thank you for noticing! We look forward to welcoming you back!