“Great stay, bad pillows!”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #83 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We arrived at 12 and valeted the car which was wonderful. Are room wasn't ready yet as we were early but the happily stored our bags and guided us to exactly where we were meeting friends for lunch. When we go back that afternoon we helped ourselves to a glass of wine during the wine hour which was great! Later that night we stopped in the bar and had a quick drink before heading up to our room. I am happy with any hotel bar that stocks hendricks.

Once in the room it was very spacious and far away from the elevator just as I had asked when booking. The bathroom was great and there was a small nook off of it where the bar was. My only complaint is that the pillows were probably the worst I have ever encountered. I am a foam pillow person and my husband a die-hard down pillow guy and both of us loathed these pillows. He was smart enough to find an extra one in the closet (they only put two on the bed) but he said it made no difference.

I would happily stay again, I think next time I will bring my own pillow!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear MSneezles. Thank you for staying with us! I am thrilled that we were a part of making your trip to DC a success. I am sorry that you didn’t like our pillows. We usually get rave reviews about them and even offer them for sale on our kimptonstyle.com website! Give us a heads up the next time you are in town, I’m sure we can find a comfy pillow that better suits you.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is my 2nd Kimpton property & I came to expect personal service after my first experience with one of their properties. This one delivered! Clean, comfortable & most definitely unique! But of course, red HAS to be a theme in this hotel rouge! We love the personal service & staff truly made this a great time. There was one woman working the front desk who was not as friendly or knoweldgeable as the rest & it was a little frustrating that she could not recommend places to eat or the best way to find a cab at our desired travel time. However, the rest of the staff more than made up for her- giving us extra vouchers for cocktails & breakfast. :) :) :)

The hotel itself is a little bit of a walk from the closest metro stations, but you're in DC- get used to the walk. Plus, it is in an area that is predominately locals, so don't worry about the tourist trap & there are plenty of people on the street who can point you in the right direction if you need something.

We will definitely stay here again & I think I am possibly a Kimpton girl for life!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank iluv2goaway

Dear iluv2goaway. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience at the Rouge and that you found us to be unique, friendly and comfortable at the same time. That’s exactly what we’re going for!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

They welcome you so nicely, the staff is so professional and sweet. They welcome you with snacks :) The rooms are beautiful, the beds are comfortable and clean, they are big and spacious. There is fresh pizza every morning in the lobby, coffee and tea. The bar is amazing the staff there is amazing too. The girl who bartends is super friendly. Walking distance to mostly everything. This hotel is amazing!

Room Tip: Top floors :)
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Viajem0s. Yes! You can come back anytime! We love to hear when our guests have such a great visit and we are so happy that you enjoyed your experience at the Rouge! Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We loved this place. Every time I am in Washington I will stay here. I can't tell you how wonderful the stay was. But will definite stay here every time. Adrienna at the bar...Danielle and Harald atvthe desk. Incredible place. .. loved it

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RuthPatterson

Dear RuthPatterson. “Best Ever” is music to our ears! Thank you for giving our wonderful staff a shout out! We love that you had a great time with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Had a great experience at Hotel Rouge. Front desk staff was friendly and super helpful guiding me around the area. And my room was huge and well appointed. The best part was I checked in during happy hour - couldn't have been welcomed any better! I will definitely stay here again next trip to DC!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Julie D
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Julie D. Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Rouge and for the great feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our neighborhood, large rooms and complimentary wine reception. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel on walking distance from the Mall (10 minutes) and Dupont Circle.
Very friendly staff who will do anything to make you feel welcome.
Big, comfortable and clean rooms.
The ambiance in the restaurant is very special. Great food.
The manager of the restaurant, Mr. Raimey Juragan, is a very kind person who makes you feel yourself at home immediately.
Once you have been there, you want to come back!

2  Thank Frank v

Dear Frank v. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit. “Excellent hotel” is exactly what we strive for from every guest experience. Thank you for noticing and we hope you’ll be back during your next visit to DC.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed here on the recommendation of a local friend and am very glad I did. Tastefully decorated from the white statuettes outside the building to the red motifs and room art. The lobby is welcoming and cozy, and teems with people having a good time during wine happy hour. The staff was immediately welcoming and accommodating. My stay was brief but I was able to take advantage of some of my Kimpton membership benefits like raiding the fridge and free wifi. I made my reservation on the hotel website, and they were able to offer me an upgraded room on a high floor with late check-out. And perhaps because of that last perk, notably absent was housekeeping's knock on the door, which I appreciate. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, request a room far away from the elevator shaft.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank John R

Dear John R. Your review is music to our ears. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and noticed some of the great perks such as our hosted wine reception, raid the minibar program and free internet. Thank you for letting other travelers know about your great experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon.