“Not your typical hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
PA
“Not your typical hotel”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I came down from Philly by train last weekend for an overnight stay to see Frank Caliendo at the DC Improv. We wanted a clean, comfortable but inexpensive hotel in walking distance from the club and the metro. The Rouge delivered! For $120 (+ taxes), we got a spacious room (albeit with a tiny bathroom) appointed with Euro modern decor and a comfy King size bed. We received a complimentary glass of very good wine that evening, and for $1 extra, a good continental breakfast (fruit, muffins, cereal, and hard-boiled eggs, juice & coffee) the following morning. Plus, the location is great for sightseeing and less than a 15 minute walk from the Farragut North Metro stop. I would definitely recommend staying at the Rouge.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 807 which faces the street but traffic noise was not an issue.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amiranten11
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear amiranten11. Thank you for recommending the Rouge to your friends and colleagues and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your weekend getaway in DC! We hope to see you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Turkish first
Delaware
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My family stayed just one night but the Rouge was what I've come to expect from Kimpton. Very friendly and helpful staff. Clean, well maintained rooms, and comfortable beds. The front desk staffer even drew us a map to guide us to the White House for our early morning tour.

Room Tip: We had a street facing room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear DSM12. Thank you for choosing the Rouge for your recent visit to DC and for taking the time to review your stay. We hope to see you again during your next visit.
Scappoose, Oregon
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We very much enjoyed our 9 day stay at the Hotel Rouge. We told the Reservation Desk that it was our 40th Anniversary trip and we were promptly updated to a perfect room... King size very comfortable bed facing the street (RM 705), sitting area, kitchenette, dressing area, a bottle of chilled champagne and strawberries. Thank you Chase for setting us up in such a nice comfortable room. You always saw to our needs and did so with such a warm, nice attitude. Darius, our bellman, took us under his wing on our very first night. My husband was suffering from back pain and Darius went to the drugstore on his brake to pick up some Epsom Salts for him to soak in and back rub cream. Talk about beyond the call of duty. He checked on us daily to make sure our stay was comfortable. The entire staff could not have been more helpful with any questions we had. This group knows how to treat guests!
We relied on the Metro to get around Washington. Be aware that it is a bit of a walk to get to Dupont Station from the hotel. Doable, but allow time if you are going to meet a tour bus. We found an affordable nice restaurant close to the hotel on 17th street called Trios. Fine for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. There are many restaurants in the area and the staff are very helpful with suggestions. We would return to the Hotel Rouge and recommend it to our family and friends! Thank you Hotel Rouge and staff for making us feel so special on our 40th Anniversary trip!

Room Tip: Room 705 is perfect, large, comfortable, and the kitchenette came in really handy when we had to lea...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dan S. Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am so glad that the staff (Chase especially) made sure that you were well taken care of during your extended visit and anniversary celebration. Maybe this will become an annual treat!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I'm normally a Starwood guy, but as every starwood hotel was either booked out or $600+ a night I ended up here. I stayed here 4 nights and I must say I enjoyed my stay. The room was huge, the bed was comfortable (I even had a second queen size, should I decide to mix it up a bit) the bar staff are really friendly and it reminded me of an oversized Le Chat Noir (in Paris). The only issues I had were: an over cooked steak (MR was MW, but I was taken off the bill and I was given a free cocktail, so I was happy) my door lock broke so I was locked out (green led but wouldn't release) but it was resolved and another charge I didn't remember, but was promptly removed. The free wine from 5-6pm is also a great feature. I'd stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GeorgT_82
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear GeorgeT-82. It’s great to win over a fan of the competition and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us. I’m sorry for some of the SNAFU’s but we appreciate the feedback so that we can stay on top of it!! Thanks again!
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the Rouge for 3 nights this week and enjoyed it very much. WE are Kimpton rewards members and love the Kimpton chain for its LGBT friendly environment, funky atmospheres and great deals. Staying at a Kimpton makes one feel like one is rich enough to stay at a very posh boutique hotel without the associated price tag. We stayed in one of the rooms with the daybed area so our daughter could have some privacy. This was great for her but honestly the only drawback was that there weren't sheets, blankets etc to make up the daybed. I called and they were brought right up with a smile (the housekeeper even left us a nice note the next day) but it did seem a bit odd that ifyou know smoene is going to use the daybed for sleeping not to leave any bedding available. That honestly was the only glitch. the bed was SUPER comfy -- and we slept soundly. The bathroom was teeny but the water pressure was awesome - the only thing I missed in the bathroom was a hook on the door for towels etc. There seemed to be a bit of wasted space in the room design but those kind of things don't bother us.. we loved having a couch, chair etc for lounging. Even though we were riht across from the elevator we never heard any noise from the hallway.

We love the Kimpton's complimentary wine hour and always enjoy meeting staff and other guests. Can not say enough nice things about the staff. Seriously. All these people should get raises. We arrived to find our room wasn't ready b/c the departing guests had checked out late- we are prtty easy going and said 'ok we'll go find a coffee place and come back' and the manager, Harold waived the difference in price from our original room to the upgraded daybed room we had changed to before arriving. Very very nice of him. The staff all greeted us so warmly and were full of helpful hints and tips on restaurants and places to see- they never steered us wrong and always wanted to know how our day was and what we had seen.

During our stay we saw some appallingly entitled behavior by other guests and some downright rudeness. One guest in particular was loudly berating the front desk staff because... his diet coke wasn't cold enough. He had carried his room service tray to the front desk and was rudely shouting at Harold and making a spectacle. Harold and the staff handled him so beautifully and we returned to make sure Harold knew we thought he was great and that no one should be yelled at as he was ..especially over a warm soda!

The location in the Dupong Circle/ logan circle area isn't super convenient for seeing monuments or museusm but boy oh boy is it restaurant central - you truly can't go wrong dining in that area. We took a cab down to the vistors center and booked the Old Town Trolley "hop on hop off" tour and really loved it. it was nice to come home to the rouge each night.

one last tip- order the cupcake trio in the restaurant.. to. die. for. We loved the Rouge!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Katie C
Dear Katie C. I love that you found us to be Funky, Affordable and Amazing! I am so pleased that your family had a great trip to DC and the Rouge and thank you for being a Kimpton fan!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hotel was sleek, fun and right next to Dupont Circle. The front desk staff was incredibly helpful, especially Gabrielle, Chase and Lance. They were so warm and welcoming, and I will definitely come back just for the service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear JoannahSF. Looks like we are a PERFECT match! Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know about your great experience and for giving our front desk staff a great “shout out”!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 May 2014

If you love funky decor and excellent service, you'll love this place. In keeping with the name ther is red everywhere the hotel clerk was very accommodating when I arrived for an early check-in. My room wasn't ready but he switched me to another room. He apologized because it was smaller. My room was huge! I loved the art on the wall, the eclectic but attractive and comfortable furniture and the exceptionally well stocked mini bar. It was pouring all day and night so I decided to stay in for dinner. The pineapple glazed slow cooked ribs were excellent and a bargain. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Judy B
Dear Judy B. Thank you for letting other travelers know about your great experience at the Rouge! I am so glad that you loved us and that your experience was so great! Our new menu in the Lounge is excellent and the short ribs are amazing, I agree!