“Meh.”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bangkok, Thailand
“Meh.”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed at the Rouge while I was in DC on business. I happened to arrive during the governors' meeting with the White House, so my usual places were booked. I like smaller, boutique hotels, so I thought I'd give this one a shot. I was fairly unhappy with the service. For starters - while this may seem insignificant to come -- there was no coffee in the room. I've been in the backwater of Cambodia at a tiny hotel and they have Nescafe and hot water. When I inquired at the desk (at 3AM thanks to jet lag courtesy of my 26 hour flight from Asia), I was told "there is complimentary coffee in the lobby from 5AM to 11AM". That doesn't help me very much at 3AM when I'm jet lagged, does it? Furthermore, I don't always WANT to stumble down to the lobby in my PJs when I'm up at 5AM getting ready for the office.

Their room service menu was disappointing. Not a SINGLE item that could even be modified for a vegan. I try to stay flexible, but it was a bit absurd in Washington, DC.

Finally, the door to my room just refused to latch. I didn't realize this until the 3rd day when it just magically opened when I stumbled into it while trying to get the key card in. I asked to have someone come fix it because the room couldn't be secured, I nearly missed a meeting waiting for the engineer. Then it was still unable to latch.

On my first two days, no hot water. I think they thought I was crazy, but sincerely, it didn't work.

On the up side, the beds were comfortable.

Frankly, there are a lot of hotels in DC. I'd skip this one and aim for one with better amenities and service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear lawgeek77. Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I am so disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit and had a hard time getting the food items that you needed. Although coffee makers are not in the rooms, they are on request. I am sorry that this was not offered to you as an alternative. I will be sure that everyone is aware so that we don’t inconvenience more guests. We do offer vegetarian options but I will certainly take a look at adding one or two vegan options. I will also be sure to look into the door and hot water issues as I am unaware of any hotel wide problems that occurred during the dates of your visit. Either way, I am sorry that you were inconvenienced and hope that you will try us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Turkish first
Bluffdale, Utah
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Enjoyed the Rouge. Great location, close to airport, wonderful staff. The complimentary wine and appetizers, were a great way to end our all day walks before dinner. Bed was comfy, room was older but nice, for the amount of time we were there. A great Whole Foods around the corner, if you want to bring wine and dinner back for the evening, which we did once. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IngsBayou
Dear IngsBayou Thank you for recommending the Rouge to your friends and colleagues and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you back soon
Brit in Paris
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Well situated for the convention centre for a business conference. Excellent touch wine and nibbles on coming back between 5-6pm…just hit the spot before settling down to more working in my room. Room was a great size and sofa was comfortable and big - I even fell asleep on it before waking up and going to the big bed which was also comfy. Staff are helpful, Darius in particular gave some good recommendations for restaurants and the front desk tell you of what's in the vicinity. I would definitely come back to this hotel if I need to be in DC again.

Room Tip: nothing in particular to add
Green Features: Note that you get a reduction in parking price for eco friendly cars
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank frenchconnection01
Dear frenchconnection01. We are so excited that you chose the Rouge during your recent visit to DC and that you will return during your next visit! Looks like we are a perfect match and we are so pleased to have a new fan!
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed for 3 nights, couldn't fault the room and location, 10 minutes walk to the White House. Unfortunately the rest didn't match. No problem with hotel theme but decor needs serious refurb to continue this theme. Odd paint splashes on room doors seemed very strange. Our deal included continental breakfast, would not bother with this as I've seen a better choice in a cheap B&B. As for Bar Rouge, no draught beer available for the 3 nights of our stay and by the last night even bottle beers were of short supply. Good place if you are just looking for a nice room to put your head down after a long day sightseeing

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear andrewj496. Thank you for staying with us and for the valuable feedback. Fortunately, we are in the process of updating our hotel. The splash of paint on your door is part of the door project that is ongoing and precedes our corridor and elevator upgrade. I am sorry that it looked out of place, but we didn’t want to keep people from staying at our wonderful hotel just because of a splash of paint. I am sorry that the breakfast was not to your liking, we have enhanced the offerings recently to include more than just pastry and fruit for the continental and now include cereal, yogurt and a wider variety of breads. Although we don’t have draft beer, we do have a lot of great choices. That being said, there is always room for improvement and we will look into adding draft beer to our bar menu. Thank you again!
PA
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I came down from Philly by train last weekend for an overnight stay to see Frank Caliendo at the DC Improv. We wanted a clean, comfortable but inexpensive hotel in walking distance from the club and the metro. The Rouge delivered! For $120 (+ taxes), we got a spacious room (albeit with a tiny bathroom) appointed with Euro modern decor and a comfy King size bed. We received a complimentary glass of very good wine that evening, and for $1 extra, a good continental breakfast (fruit, muffins, cereal, and hard-boiled eggs, juice & coffee) the following morning. Plus, the location is great for sightseeing and less than a 15 minute walk from the Farragut North Metro stop. I would definitely recommend staying at the Rouge.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 807 which faces the street but traffic noise was not an issue.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amiranten11
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear amiranten11. Thank you for recommending the Rouge to your friends and colleagues and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your weekend getaway in DC! We hope to see you back soon!
Delaware
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My family stayed just one night but the Rouge was what I've come to expect from Kimpton. Very friendly and helpful staff. Clean, well maintained rooms, and comfortable beds. The front desk staffer even drew us a map to guide us to the White House for our early morning tour.

Room Tip: We had a street facing room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear DSM12. Thank you for choosing the Rouge for your recent visit to DC and for taking the time to review your stay. We hope to see you again during your next visit.
Scappoose, Oregon
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We very much enjoyed our 9 day stay at the Hotel Rouge. We told the Reservation Desk that it was our 40th Anniversary trip and we were promptly updated to a perfect room... King size very comfortable bed facing the street (RM 705), sitting area, kitchenette, dressing area, a bottle of chilled champagne and strawberries. Thank you Chase for setting us up in such a nice comfortable room. You always saw to our needs and did so with such a warm, nice attitude. Darius, our bellman, took us under his wing on our very first night. My husband was suffering from back pain and Darius went to the drugstore on his brake to pick up some Epsom Salts for him to soak in and back rub cream. Talk about beyond the call of duty. He checked on us daily to make sure our stay was comfortable. The entire staff could not have been more helpful with any questions we had. This group knows how to treat guests!
We relied on the Metro to get around Washington. Be aware that it is a bit of a walk to get to Dupont Station from the hotel. Doable, but allow time if you are going to meet a tour bus. We found an affordable nice restaurant close to the hotel on 17th street called Trios. Fine for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. There are many restaurants in the area and the staff are very helpful with suggestions. We would return to the Hotel Rouge and recommend it to our family and friends! Thank you Hotel Rouge and staff for making us feel so special on our 40th Anniversary trip!

Room Tip: Room 705 is perfect, large, comfortable, and the kitchenette came in really handy when we had to lea...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dan S. Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am so glad that the staff (Chase especially) made sure that you were well taken care of during your extended visit and anniversary celebration. Maybe this will become an annual treat!