“Excellent Hotel, Somewhat Inconvenient Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #71 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent Hotel, Somewhat Inconvenient Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the Rouge 3 nights and found the room, service and staff, and amenities excellent. The room looked new and was very clean. It was very large and had plenty of space for suitcases and everything else. It was thoughtfully appointed in terms of mini-bar, umbrellas, etc. There was an excellent (and convenient) set of power points – very important for all the gadgets that need charging these days. There were complimentary afternoon drinks and morning tea / coffee in the lobby. There is a Whole Foods supermarket very close by which is great for self-catering. The only negative for us was the location. It is not that close to subway stations and it is quite a trek to the Mall area (and we like to walk). Nice area to stroll around in but not that great for accessing sites.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear antip0de. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am pleased that you enjoyed our atmosphere, and complimentary wine reception. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here sun 15th June with 2 adults and 2 children. The location is perfect and the main sights are within walking distance. The front desk staff were very welcoming and helpful in giving directions. We got free valet parking because our car was red,which was a really nice touch. The rooms were very spacious and clean,with a nice big bed. The kids had an Xbox and were given snacks,which again was a really nice touch. The only downside was that breakfast was not included in the price,but we did know this before arrival so it wasn't a shock! We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank K4tiefoz
Dear K4tiefoz. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us and experienced one of our bunk bed rooms; perfect for families! Thank you for choosing us and we hope will see you again when you visit your daughter at college.
new york, new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

It's important to note we got a 'deal' for our stay so we did not pay the advertised rate of around $300. If we had - this review would have been much different. It's just okay. The location is quiet but not central. It's clean and the room was roomy - but the hotel has none of the things I'd expect from a stay had I paid the advertised rate. There is no restaurant at the hotel and none closer than about a 10 minute walk. There is no coffee machine in the room - so you have to get up and get out to get your morning fix. And there aren't breakfast places close by - so be ready to research and plan that ahead of time. The gym is barely there but they offer the 'amenity' of giving you a credit to use at the Y that's nearby-ish. They do allow pets if you are looking for that. For what we paid, and for the short time we spent there, it did the job.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bristol96
Dear Bristol96. Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Rouge. Your feedback is valuable and we appreciate it very much.
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having stayed at the Kimpton Hotel Monaco in Philadelphia two weeks previously, we had high hopes for the Rouge. The location is good in a leafy street near to many restaurants and close to the sights, so that will not disappoint. However, the hotel seems to be trying too hard to be trendy and the decor now looks a bit dated and garish. The staff are friendly and very helpful as they were at the Monaco, but although they had a few nice touches like a free glass of wine between 5 & 6pm, the reception area is not an attractive place to sit and the breakfast area is basic. We would have preferred to find an american diner to have breakfast but there are none nearby so had breakfast in the hotel. Quite disappointing with a very limited offering of cereals, melon, juice and cakes. The toaster took forever. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are spacious and clean. It isn't a patch on the Monaco - however the prices are the same.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Wendy W. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am happy that you found us to be in a good location and friendly. I am sorry that you did not enjoy breakfast. We do have other a la carte offerings in addition the buffet that include more traditional choices. Our lobby is cozy but we more than make up for that with larger than average rooms and a super unique ambiance.
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Quiet Location. Friendly staff! We stayed in an end of the hall room and we could hear full conversations( so the walls were thin, but I think it was because of the way the room was setup) from the next room over, the shower got a little steamy which made the bathroom hot afterwards- I don't take really hot showers either. Location was quiet and it was a nice stroll to the metro stations which we had two in between us. Great restaurants located all around us and a Whole Foods not too far! Recommend this hotel to anyone looking to be in the heart of the city, but in a quiet neighborhood!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper do not sleep in a room that is at the end of the hall. For example we had...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear varkrs2008. Thank you very much for commenting on your recent visit to the Hotel Rouge. I am so happy that you found us to be a great value and enjoyed our location. I am sorry that the room was noisy. We rarely get comments about room to room noise, but we will certainly be on the watch for that when guests request a quiet location in the hotel. Thanks again!
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed at the Rouge for four nights this past weekend. Hotel location is excellent and the property was nice, but was missing some of the amenities that some of the other Kimpton properties have such as a pool. The hotel has two elevators and one of the two was out the entire time we were there, which made for a long wait at different times of the day.

Our room was a double queen room on the 9th floor with views of the back of the property. Room was very quiet and the sleeping area was a good size. The bathroom on the other hand was extremely small. There were a few issues in the room that needed attention. First the bathroom door did not close all the way and would just swing open. All the beverages in the mini bar were way past expired and even after I informed the desk the items were never removed. There is a thermostat in the room to control the air conditioning, but we felt that the room was very warm. After asking the maintenance dept. to check on it we were informed that the actual coolest temp that the room could reach was controlled by the hotel. So in other words you could try and set it to below 70, but it would never reach the desired temp. The maintenance worker was able to punch in a code to over ride the system and allow the room to get cooler.

The morning coffee service was nice, but the lack of servicing the area was a bit frustrating. At any giving time they would be out of hot water or coffee. If you are interested in the continental breakfast offered in the lounge/ restaurant area you better be willing to pay 15 bucks for very a very less than average spread.

If you do not have a discounted rate this property is not worth the full rack rate. I would stay again with a discounted rate, just because of the location.

1 Thank Susan B
Dear Susan B. Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry that we did not completely WOW you but we do appreciate your feedback and will look into your thorough comments to improve the quality where we can.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The four star category in hotels is a wide canyon -- where those at the bottom are without doubt closer to the three stars associated with economy lodging, and those at the top just shy of clearing the abyss into five star quality, where the final differentiator is often the distinguishing factor in the world's best hotels, service.

I stayed at the Rouge for six nights -- not by choice, but because my company booked me here.

The hotel is, at best, 'three stars plus' -- don't be fooled by the Kimpton name or "boutique" status -- the only thing boutique about the rouge is its size.

The management need to take a serious look at the staff and the service provided by the hotel, because it is seriously lacking in quality. A hotel should be judged not only by what it offers, but how it reacts to guests' varied and unpredictable needs. The Rouge's staff showed a complete inability to perform even basic requests easily handled by other hotels of a four star ranking.

Here is a brief overview of the positives and negatives of the property in my opinion, followed by some additional detail:

Relatively good location in DC; 15 minute walk to the White House
Room size is large
Bathrooms are modern and updated
Good water pressure
Great bathroom toiletries (Gillchrest and Soames' new line, Essentiel Elements) -- provided in large wall mounted dispensers, so you don't run out of shampoo or shower gel like in most hotels
Comfortable beds
Good climate control
Relatively quiet
Free wine every day in the lobby from 5-6pm

Outdated decor, especially in common areas; hotel feels tired and old, and the lobby is small and cramped; it's just not a comfortable, welcoming space

The WiFi is TERRIBLE. It is hard to connect to, both in the rooms and the lobby; you need to create a cumbersome Kimpton rewards account in order to access it for free. It's slow, frequently disconnects, and is totally unreliable. I had to shut it off and tether my cell phone to my laptop / iPad to get by.

Breakfast service is of dismal quality; the $14 continental buffet is of very poor quality. Think boxed cereals, cheap fruit, very poor quality pastries, etc.

The gym is tiny and in a windowless basement

The elevators are small and there are only two; one was out of service for half of my stay. Even when both are functioning, the wait is often long. Service staff do not wait to use the elevator after you; when it stops on a floor and you are inside the tiny elevator, bellmen and housekeeping staff don't hesitate to enter with a cart, which should not be the case, and isn't in other hotels where there is a separate service elevator or, at minimum, staff wait.

Pets are apparently permitted, and large dogs roam the hotels' public areas with their owners. I love dogs. Some people don't.

Service is poor. I asked for my shoes to be shined. It took several hours and they were returned to me unfinished. It's as if someone rubbed a cloth over them without using any shoe polish. Made me look bad at a meeting.

When I asked for ice to be brought to my room, I was told that only one cup could be brought up, and that I could use the ice machine -- located only on three of the hotels' floors. Appalling.

Overall, the Staff do not have a 'can do' attitude, but more of a 'Can't do' attitude bound by the hotel's limitations. Example: "Can you a sew a button onto a shirt?" "No, we don't provide that capability. We can send it out to a tailor [for $20.00]" whereas even the Capitol Hilton, one of Washington's largest hotels, managed to find a member of staff who knew how to sew a button. That's precisely the kind of flexibility expected at a boutique hotel.

When I asked for turn-down service, I was told that all of the housekeeping staff had gone for the day. This was at 7pm.

Maybe my expectations are too high for the Rouge, but I think it undercuts other Kimpton properties I've stayed at, and certainly many other larger, non-boutique hotels. It seems like a good place for budget travelers looking for something a bit more special, but I would rather spend my money elsewhere and enjoy better amenities and service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank xps900
Dear xps800. Thank you very much for taking the time to send such a candid and thorough review of your visit! We appreciate the feedback and will look into the issues that you wrote about – some that have already been fixed or repaired as they were temporary and unscheduled. It is rare to hear that our service was poor but I am truly sorry that the staff that you encountered did not offer the stellar service we are known for. I hope that you will come back and give us another try – sounds like we were having an off day!