“Wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed at Rouge over the 4th of July. The hotel is nice, the staff very helpful and we had a good stay. I left a beautiful sun hat behind in my room, and the Director of Housekeeping, Ms. Tina P. Nguyen, packaged it up and took it to UPS and I had it the next day. It arrived in perfect shape and she was so considerate and easy to work with. I really appreciate the staff there and will definitely be staying there the next time I am in Washington, D.C.

Green Features: They only replaced the towels we left on the floor, and there was a recycling bin in the room for plastic and paper.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi Robin W. Thank you very much for reviewing your visit to the Rouge and for giving the fabulous Tina a shout out! We love to hear stories of how our employees go above and beyond – thank you for sharing!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Turkish first
Lagos, Nigeria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Great location and great staff this boutique hotel is a lovely place to stay in if you are visiting Washington as a Tourist like me. A little bit of confusion at check in as fellow attending to me couldn't decide whether my deposit could be in cash or on a card in good time. Either ways was fine by me so there was no hassle. We were allocated a room high up enough to get a good view of the street and enjoyed the heights. For me a good hotel must have fresh tapestry and the luxury must be seen in furniture. The bed was very comfortable but the carpets to me were really an eyesore. I complained about this via email, calls and visits but I guess the entire hotel is that rugged! The rugby as old and therefore downplayed whatever enjoyment of the breakfast we had. The door was also not painted like other doors and I felt little touches like this make a difference. There was ice on the 9th floor where I stayed and that was very cool and convenient. I had higher expectations but I won't rate this hotel, no matter how good their services are beyond 2 stars for bad rugs and old curtains in the room.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Wallzbaba. Thank you very much for reviewing your visit to the Rouge and for the useful feedback about the carpets. They are quite new and we don’t hear many negative reviews about them, but we always appreciate our guest’s opinions. I am pleased that your experience, otherwise, was a good one.
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights. The rooms are very different indeed. I personally haven't stayed in a hotel with this sort of a theme. I quite liked it though!

The rooms were very spacious, at the cost of the bathroom i guess which is quite cramped. The room doesn't have a balcony and the view is just that of the road outside. Nothing spectacular. The bedding was cozy and comfortable. It had a well stocked minibar too.

The best part is it's proximity to most landmarks. While not extremely close, it is walkable though it will be a long one. At it's price, i would say it is value for money for all that it offers. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AdityaVenkat
Hi AdityaVankat. Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience at the Rouge and that you found us to be unique, friendly and comfortable at the same time. That’s exactly what we’re going for!
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel over the 4th of July. It was a last minute trip, and this was one of the only hotels close to the fireworks (at the Washington Monument) that still had room. On the plus side, the rooms were quiet and the beds were comfortable. On the negative side, while getting my complimentary cup of coffee downstairs my one child grabbed a banana and my other child grabbed a single serving box of cereal. The lady behind the bar asked them what room they were in, and they told her. When I checked out, I had $30 on my bill for 2 continental breakfasts. I am sorry but charging $15 each for one banana and one (dry) bowl of cereal is absolutely ridiculous. Further, unless you are willing to walk at least half a mile, there is nowhere near the hotel to go somewhere that is not a nightclub and get a glass of wine or beer after 10:30 p.m. I'd heard about the no WiFi and signed up for the Kimpton rewards before my trip. But, it apparently takes at least a week of processing time, because it did not recognize my email address and did not let me access the WiFi. Plus, if you have a hybrid vehicle, be sure to remember to ask for the discount. It is apparently policy for them to charge you the full $43/night and only give you the hybrid rate (half off per night) if you mention it when you check out. All in all, I was disappointed in this hotel given the reviews that I saw. I will definitely stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 2banonymous1
Dear 2banonymous1. Thank you for your review. We are so disappointed that your experience was just “so so”. Your comments are useful and we thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed in June, 2014, in a room with a king sized bed and the bunk beds for our children, ages 14 and 10. We loved the room. The kids really liked the Xbox and the Apples to Apples game provided in the room, and they had a decent selection of Xbox games at the front desk that could be checked out free. Staff was nice and helpful. However, since we travel light and plan to do laundry during our trip, I was very surprised that there were no on site laundry facilities. Honestly, I didn't check into the ahead of time since I haven't stayed anywhere in the last 10 years that didn't have at least a couple of coin-operated washers and dryers. We ended up taking a cab to a laundromat with drop off service and picking up our clothes at the end of the day. It was an inconvenience we didn't expect. They did offer some kind of send-out laundry service, but they wanted about $7.50 to launder a single shirt, and we had four people with four complete sets of clothes... way too expensive for that option. I would strongly recommend that they install a small laundry area for their guests.

Room Tip: Go for the bunk beds if you have children. They are set up with safety in mind and there is a nice...
Green Features: Recycle bin in the room was conveniently placed and well marked.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer H, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hi Heather W. Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Rouge. I am so pleased that your family enjoyed the room and the extra complimentary amenities provided for families! I am sorry that we do not have an onsite laundry. We do offer outside service but do not have a Laundromat on site.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed for 1 night on a business trip. Was upgraded to a room, which found to need upgrading. Large bed, couch (with a stain on it), and very small bathroom. Ceiling looked like it had water damage. Feels like they were going for a hip/cool look, but instead it was tired and trashy. Would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Top floor was quiet. Rooms close to the elevator was quieter than I expected.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear MNtripmaven. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I am sorry that your room was not satisfactory. The rooms were recently renovated so I am concerned with your comments. We will be sure that that particular room is given extra extra attention and find out what went wrong. Thanks again!
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel. I recently completed an extended business stay at the hotel. The staff, from the front desk to the cleaning staff, were very friendly and helpful. The place is fun and off-beat in the decorations. The location is fantastic -- its in a leafy neighborhood close to lots of places to bike and eat, but super close to work places and the big tourist destinations. The front desk staff helped me with directions, ideas about things to do, and were very responsive. Also, my room was large and spacious and extremely quiet.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the parking lot out back, not a great view, but it was super quiet and I thought...
Green Features: I used the yoga mat, and appreciated the eco-firendly touches like the bulk shower items and so on.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the glowing review! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.