“I was in Washington DC on business and...”

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #79 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I was in Washington DC on business and the people at the front desk were amazingly helpful. The beds were comfortable and I loved the intimate feel of the whole place. I would go there again no problem. The only mildly negative observation is the place is showing a bit of wear, baseboards missing, wallpaper a bit worn. Thanks Hotel Rouge.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Rouge Hotel

Reviewed 16 June 2010

I was looking for a unique hotel near the National Mall, but at a reasonable price. Hotel Rouge was a few blocks north of the White House. Front desk service was excellent and always friendly. The room was nice and quiet. Overall enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
HotelManager1315, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2010

Thank you so much for your feedback , I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Rouge. We are looking forward on your next visit. Thank you so much for your business.

Reviewed 13 June 2010

Easy to find.
Convenient valet service
Large room size.
Comfortable bed.
Clean and in good condition.
Just off Scott Circle. Close to DuPont Circle and all the Georgetown hangouts.
A few blocks to the White House.
Nice bar, friendly bartenders.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Stayed for a week at The Rouge and were very pleased with the hotel. Beds were very comfortable, linens were nice and even though our room faced 16th St., it was really quiet. Staff were uber-friendly and helpful, esp. Lauren. Would have liked it to be a little closer to the metro stops, but Dupont Circle & McPherson Place were within walking distance. Had some trouble with getting a wi-fi signal but they also had a cable which worked perfectly fine. Able to print out boarding passes for free. Didn't eat in the restaurant so no comment there. My husband used their coffee service but they didn't have any tea in the lobby which would have been better for me. Had a kitchenette room which worked out really great. Didn't ask for too much while we were there but anytime we did, they brought it to us right away. I really like staying at the Kimpton hotels as you come to know the level of service to expect. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
HotelManager1315, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2010

I am very glad to hear you and your husband had a great stay at the Rouge Hotel. Thank you for your feedback and thank you very much for your business. We hope to see you again at the Rouge in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 3 June 2010

Overall, the hotel was good. It was cute, it had nice little perks which I will list in a moment, and I got a very very good rate. But, it was a bit far from the metro. It was about 1/2 mile. And if you have heavy luggage, and it's hot, it's not that pleasant. Even without the luggage, making that trip in the searing heat (it was over 90 when I was there last week), after a long long day of sightseeing is the last thing I wanted to do. If the weather had been a little nicer, the walk would have been much more enjoyable. the neighborhood is quite beautiful. So I'd say choosing this hotel should be based on the seasons.

Hotel: There is a small gym, that should suit everyone's needs. Water, towels and apples are available in the gym. There are also complimentary apples in the reception area. Other perks include free coffee and tea in the mornings, and free ice tea and lemonade in the afternoons (which was very welcome in that heat!). Kimpton Hotels also provide free yoga gear, and a yoga channel on tv. And free wireless internet if you are an in-touch member. Also $10.00 worth of freebies from the mini-bar for in-touch members.

Room: I reserved a "King" room. It was enormous. I'm sure it was two rooms at some point that were remodeled into one. I had a curious anti room that lead from the entry to the main bedroom area. I dubbed it my yoga room. All it contained was the mini bar and a large mirror. It was the perfect place for yoga. The room was clean and interesting. It had a nice desk area, a large, flat screen tv, and a small seating area with a huge ottoman. The bathroom was nice and modern. I only have two comments about the room. One, housekeeping didn't vacuum every day. There was a large leaf in the middle of my yoga room. It must have been stuck to my shoe. It was still there after housekeeping had been in. Two, the pillows, (I believe there were 5 all together) were too plump. I ended up sleeping without a pillow, because they hurt my neck.

Breakfast was not included in my rate, so I splurged and bought myself breakfast from the restaurant the first day. It was fine, but I was a little shocked at the bill. An 18% tip had been added on Plus tax on that tip. I understand when hotels do this kind of thing for room service. Well, I don't understand, but I accept it. But I found it a little strange for a restaurant. I didn't go back to breakfast after that. Each night I bought a pastry locally and saved it for the morning to enjoy with my complimentary coffee. That served well enough.

Staff: The staff were all nice enough but not that informed about questions a tourist might ask. These weren't tricky questions. They were things a local should know. I asked if my metro card would work for the buses. I even held up my paper metro card to demonstrate what I was talking about. The guy at the desk assured me the buses accepted them. So I filled up the metrocard with a good amount of money, because I had several places I wanted to go by bus. But it turned out the bus does NOT accept the paper metro cards. They only accept "smart cards". So now that I'm home, I'm stuck with a metro card for Washington DC that I can't use. Another bus issue. I asked someone at the front desk if there were any buses to Georgetown. They had absolutely no idea. Through internet research, I discovered the bus on the nearset corner went straight to Georgetown. Seems like something they should know at the reception desk. Of course after I waited for the bus for 1/2 hour in the searing heat, I discovered I couldn't use my metro card. But the bus driver felt sorry for me and let me ride for free.

Location: As mentioned, the hotel is 1/2 mile from the metro stop. Take a map. Because the metro stop is on a circle, one can get a little turned around. There are several good restaurants near the metro stop. I highly recomment "Kramer Books & Afterwards Cafe". Half way between the metro and the hotel, on 17th street, there are several more restaurants and a CVS (drugstore). East of the hotel are a couple more restaurants, a liquor store, a starbucks, and a Whole Foods. So generally it's convenient for food and necessities.

Summary. Not sure I'd stay there again, based entirely on the distance from the metro.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Intrepid_Traveler13
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I was here for one night on business last week. The building -- about a 10-minute walk from Dupont Circle -- used to be an apartment building before it was renovated and turned into a hotel; as a result the rooms are large. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean and very "Kimpton" -- eco-friendly, funky things for sale in the mini-bar and in the closet, and with an upbeat vibe. Staff was professional and helpful -- even tracking me down on the cell phone I had used when I had made my reservation to ask me a question during my stay. I would gladly return.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2010

The value for money for this hotel is probably the best thing about it. The room we were given was huge although it was quite a weird set out - there was a huge space of nothing - perhaps it used to be a kitchenette and has recently been remodelled. The service in the bar area was pretty slow. The location is not ideal - although is still walking distance from the main monuments. We had a problem finding anywhere for breakfast as we were walking to the monuments so it may be a good idea to eat at the hotel. It is in a very quiet area of D.C. There are areas close by for resturants. The staff couldn't recommend any restaurants to us so luckily we had read up on some places to go local to the hotel. Washington DC is of course an amazing city - full of history, museums and monuments. Loved the city!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
HotelManager1315, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2010

Thank you so much for your feedback, please come back and visit us again before or after the renovation. We are projecting the renovation will be completed by Mid November. Thank you so much again for your feedback and please visit us again soon.

Hotel Manager