“I love this hotel! Friendly staff, spacious room, stylish decor, welcoming feel.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Rouge Hotel

Kimpton Rouge Hotel
Ranked #71 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

I have stayed here twice in the past three months and had a terrific stay both times. The rooms are spacious by any city's standards. This past visit I received a complimentary upgrade to the new model room, and it was beautiful--stylish yet cozy. I received a raid-the-minibar coupon, a coupon for free breakfast due to a short wait to check-in, and a personalized note from the manager in my room thanking me for returning--wow! That was an amazing touch. I will definitely be back!

Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past three months, and both overnight stays were terrific. A warm welcome, a room upgrade, a raid-the-minibar coupon, a personalized note from the manager in my room thanking me for returning, a huge room by any city's standards--I will definitely be back! They happy hour specials in the lobby bar are a nice plus, too.

Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us! I'm so pleased to hear that you had the opportunity to experience the hotel the way in which our team has intended! I hope we will have the chance to "welcome you back" in the very near future!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm wishes,

Edwin Frizzell
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

The hotel is pleasant but I agree with comments before about it being in need of tlc. It could do with some repairs. It's quite expensive and isolated. The train station was a few blocks away as were good restaurants. If you are planning on visiting the Smithsonian, then I would suggest that you find a hotel closer to it because if you stay at The Rouge, you will need to take two trains to get there. If you don't mind walking then that's ok. Next time I would choose a hotel closer to The Smithsonian. Rooms are huge and comfy, staff is great. Don't get a room near the elevator because it's noisy. Also, for two nights and days, there was a noisy conference being held in one of the rooms opposite. This group had converted one of the bedrooms into a meeting room. When I complained to the concierge about the early morning and late night noise, especially at 8.00am Sunday (loud voices) it didn't solve the problem. I had to ask the group to close their door which until this time was left wide open. Our room was directly opposite and made it impossible to sleep, even with ear plugs. Anyway, I asked them to keep the door closed and a lady was very nice and apologetic. In my opinion, meetings should be conducted in meeting rooms and not converted bedrooms. Other than that, it was ok, but I would stay elsewhere.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelManager1315, Manager at Kimpton Rouge Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am happy to share with you that the Rouge is preparing for renovation of guest rooms and lobby. We have model room ready for viewing. Thank you so much for your business.
NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

Staff was verfy friendly and helpful especially with directions and obtaining a cab for us.
Room needed an update . Wallpaper peeling in several places, patched up holes needed to be re-touched up with paint, dings and marks on tables needs to be re-touched up or replaced, tiles in bathroom need to be cleaned instead of wiped down,
bath tub needs to be cleaned better to remove old mold or age stains in cracks.
Stale smell on the 4th floor and advised front desk (smelled like old cigarettes and stale
water). If it was not for the great customer service and a good night sleep We would not
have enjoyed this hotel .

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

I traveled with my sister and elderly mother of which all of us have traveled around the world. We loved the hotel--small, like a B&B so we felt at the end of the day like we were coming home. The staff was very friendly and knew us by the time we left. Afternoon ice tea and lemonade, evening wine, incredible "continental" breakfast all were very welcoming. Even a dog dish at the door with water and kibbles for those who travel with their dogs. The rooms were refreshingly 60's style done with panache not cheaply. We loved the rooms--very comfortable bed, robes for use, all the amenties. This is my first stay at a Kimpton hotel and I will always look for them FIRST in my future travels. I just dont know why it took so long for me to discover them.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Rouge. Please come and visit us again soon. Thank you for your business.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

This was my second time staying with The Rouge and they went out of their way to welcome me back, they had responded to any concerns I had during my previous trip, and made sure my stay was perfect. Wonderful hotel staff from the front desk onward. The evening wine reception in the lobby was a perfect welcome respite after a long day of work. The hotel stays true to the Kimpton reputation for excellent and friendly staff and delightful and comfortable rooms.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

My husband & I just started staying with Kimpton this year, and have yet to be disappointed. This time we chose the Hotel Rouge in D.C. for a great price & a convenient location over the Labor Day weekend. The great thing about Kimpton in general is that their staff go out of their way to make the experience more than just you checking in & sleeping in a bed for a night. The Hotel Rouge was no exception. The moment we checked in we were greeted warmly, educated about the hotel & amenities, and made to feel right at home. Judging by the "Rouge" in their name, yes, there is a lot of red in the hotel but it's very classy & clean. It's an older facility but very well maintained & very clean. The king size bed & pillows were very comfortable - it was one of the best nights of sleep I've had all year! Everything was in working order & made for comfort. There were three Metro stops within easy walking distance (less than a 1/2 mile), and it was very easy to get to restaurants, shops & tourist attractions from the location. The neighborhood was very quiet (it was in "Embassy Row") and the room had nice views.

Though we didn't take advantage of the various activities at the hotel this time, we did have an unexpected moment where the staff/management really went above & beyond to help us. We got back to the hotel around midnight on our last night there and found that my husband had a medical situation that required us to get to an ER. We went downstairs to the front desk & asked if they could provide us with the name of a good hospital & also a taxi, as my husband didn't want to take an ambulance. The manager on duty, Bhalat, ran to the end of the street to a main traffic circle to try & get us a taxi while the guy at the front desk quickly pulled up the name & directions to a good hospital that was also nearby. The manager came back as he was unsuccessful in getting us a taxi, and was wonderful enough to drive us to the hospital himself. There was no way we could have even walked to a Metro station because the medical situation affected my husband's right leg, so we were very grateful for his quick thinking, action & willingness to help. He urged us to call & let them know how my husband was doing - we honestly felt like my husband's health was their #1 concern. In addition he told us that if we needed to extend our stay due to the outcome of the ER visit to let him know and they would take care of us. I don't think there is any other hotel chain out there that would have employees who reacted the way they did that night.

Luckily my husband's visit to the ER only took 3 hours, we got a quick taxi back & the manager & staff were right there asking us if there was anything they could do - help fill a prescription down the street at a CVS nearby, let us stay longer than the typical noon checkout so we could get some sleep (it was after 3am at this point), etc. We didn't take them up on their offers, but again, their concern was genuine & they really went above & beyond in this situation.

We love traveling to D.C. and try to go several times a year; we will definitely be back to the Hotel Rouge!