“Best overall hotel experience we've ever had--service & more service!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #37 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 May 2011

My spouse and I stayed ten nights at the Palomar, Wash. D.C., April 30 - May 10, 2011. Hospitality, friendliness and service were superior--could not have been better. Minor glitch at check-in, but quickly rectified by staff upgrading our room at no charge, including an extra fridge for our extras in the room. Staff at front desk, concierge, bar/restaurant, Bell & Valet were exemplary; polite, helpful & professional, but not stuffy.

Noticeable daily was the personal touch of staff calling us by our names--it was genuine and not forced, which tells me the desire to provide top-shelf service is comes from the top down (the only way that can happen is for management to treat the employees with respect & dignity; the ultimate beneficiaries were my wife and I. All the folks at the Palomar treated us so well, which made for the best vacation we've ever had. Our highest recommendation!

Room Tip: Rm 1005, great view of Wash Monument
1  Thank Roycampos

Reviewed 17 May 2011

I enjoyed the hotel. It was very pretty and the service was good. A little pricey though.

Reviewed 17 May 2011

My fiancee and I stayed in room 711 on 5/13/11, a quiet room facing the pool and courtyard area. The room was very quiet, clean, and had all the amenities you could imagine. The temperature control worked very well and the bed linens were very comfortable. There was ample storage for clothing and luggage, as well as a good sized desk equipped with power supply for work space. I arrived quite early and the friendly folks at the check in counter allowed me to check in as my room was ready and prepared as I had requested with hypoallergenic linens. They had even left a personalized note to the effect. I took in an extended lunch at their restaurant, Urbana, and the food was delicious and fresh. The next morning, we ordered room service of a light breakfast of muffins and fruit. The person who took our order answered promptly and was very friendly. Our order was delivered in a timely fashion and the food was very good. We enjoyed brunch at Urbana, and it was quite honestly the best brunch I've had. I will be sure to return again.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Stayed here for four nights and I really can't fault the hotel from the welcome at check-in to leaving where I got a late checkout without any hassle. I'd booked a Queen via Expedia but when I turned up it wasn't ready. I left my bags there and when I returned to check-in found I had been upgraded to a King! My bags were brought up almost immediately.

There always appeared to be plenty of people around to help with baggage, call a cab, open doors etc.

Room was great and kept very clean. Free Wifi was easy to connect to and had a strong signal. Also had a choice of daily newspapers. Safe was big enough to take laptops.

Great, safe location minutes from Dupont Circle and its metro stop. Some great restaurants near by: Komi, Eola, Hanks Oyster bar or not a long walk to U street for Ben's Chilli and Ethiopian restaurants. Fifteen minute stroll to Georgetown and a pleasant walk away from the Lincoln memorial.

When I left as I only had a small suitcase so I took the metro to West Falls Church fr a few dollars and then took the Washington Flyer to Dulles for $10. Took me not much more than an hour in total.

Room Tip: My room on the 6th floor was pretty quiet
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Loved everything about the Hotel. The Hotel was beautiful, very swanky. We recieved outstanding service. I had left a toiletry item behind and asked the concierge for the item at the front desk as I noticed it was listed as an item they carried. They offered to bring it up to my room. A few minutes later they called to inform me they were out of the item but sent someone to get it. The bellhop arrived at my door shortly after with the item I requested. I coulndn't have asked for better service! Staff was all very friendly and helpful. I would definately stay there again.

1  Thank klsimoni
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My niece and I went to Palomar last week. We had a wonderful stay. The room was large enough for us, quite large, two queen bed and a nice bathroom. Very quiet room, very clean. The most important thing to say is that people from the hotel Palomar are very helpful, friendly and you feel welcome. I plan to go back to Washington next year with my husband and there is no doubt, we will be staying at Palomar.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 16 May 2011

After having an ugly experience with the previous hotel on our trip, we didn't have high hopes for the Palomar, particularly since I'd booked it at a pretty cheap price online. The location seemed really good so we assumed there would be a catch. Well, the only catch was that when we first got there, the room keys we got given wouldn't open the door. After that, everything was great - reception was very friendly, doormen were as well, even sharing a joke with us. Location was great, we walked everywhere (despite being warned before we came about how dangerous D.C. was, we felt very safe).

Beds were good, bathroom was adequate although perhaps was not quite the same standard as the rest of the room (was still good, but the rest of the room was really great).

All in all, a really good experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends