“Great hotel in great location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #35 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The room was huge, the bed comfortable, the ambience modern, the location fantastic. The service wasn't as good as others have experienced. Staff were perfectly nice, but politely disinterested; and the pool not as nice as in the photos. But overall this was such a great find, and I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Mudpuppy M
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC

Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed at the Palomar for 3 nights. The check in staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was very clean and comfortable.

The room deal we had included breakfast and we were given vouchers to use every morning. On our first morning we went into the restaurant believing this to be the place to have our breakfast. We were shown to a table and then produced our vouchers. The young lady who had shown us to the table looked at the vouchers and said, "Oh you've got those!" She then proceeded to tell us we were in the wrong place and gave us directions to another room. This made both my husband and I feel rather uncomfortable. Once we found the correct room to get breakfast it was a room that was obviously used for meetings/conferences and it was a help yourself buffet. The breakfast was adequate but unfortunately we were not given the opportunity to supplement the buffet breakfast with cooked items at extra cost as other hotels do.

Overall a very pleasant hotel.

Room Tip: Join "Kimpton In Touch" It's free to join and gives you free wifi access.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I have never stayed in a hotel where each and every one of the staff were so friendly! We were genuinely made to feel welcome on arrival. We were celebrating a special occasion and were provided with a complementary upgrade and a basket of fruit (with a personal card) sent to our room.

Excellent location, with loads of restaurants etc nearby and handy for metro.

Friendly wine reception each day 5-6pm, where everyone mingles in the lobby drinking free wine / cocktails with biscuits and olives. Lovely continental breakfast each day.

We are travelling through out USA for 5 weeks and this hotel is one that stands out. It was a tough act for others to compare to and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2011

My husband, 9 year old daughter and I stayed here in the first week of August. As others have said, the location is great, as it is a short walk to Dupont Circle and certainly within walking distance to Georgetown. We loved feeling that we were in more of a neighborhood and could get away from the bustle after a long day of touring. The hotel itself gave a neighborly feel as well. The nightly wine reception (which I usually skip in places that offer) was low-key; the small rooftop pool was perfect for a quick refresher late in the afternoon; coffee or a cold beverage was always available in the lobby; the bar was a fun spot with a great bartender. In all, the hotel does a very good job of catering to families, business clientele and the young singles/ couple who are looking for a little contemporary cool without being tragically trendy.
We found the service during our stay to be mostly stellar. Upon a seamless early check-in, my daughter was told directly that she could call down for cookies and milk and borrow DVD's any time she liked. The doormen and valets were always pleasant, available and helpful with directions. The Concierge was very helpful and informative. I was beyond impressed to return the first evening and find our sofa bed already made up complete with turndown, without my asking. This may seem minor, but when you are getting back to your room after a long day (night) where you've probably pushed the sightseeing envelope for your child, it is wonderful to just get right into bed without having to call housekeeping. This has truly never happened in any hotel---boutique to Ritz. I made sure to tell the front desk the next morning how impressed I was. Alas, the compliment was probably never passed on because although we had turn-down every night, the sofa-bed was never made up for us again! The only other incident that nagged at us was also from housekeeping. We regularly leave a tip for Housekeeping each day of our stay. On day three we stopped back in our room around noon and although the room wasn't made up, the money was gone. In fairness, we had extended our stay that day so perhaps HK thought we were checking out? Still, our luggage was still all over the room and the only thing different was the missing money and the "thank you housekeeping" note....
Overall this is a great hotel that's clean, contemporary, small enough to give a little personalized service, offers nice amenities and is in a super location. It was our first stay at a Kimpton. If the Palomar is an example of their whole brand I will definitely stay in their hotels in the future. Not a Ritz, Leading Hotels, 4S but not Hyatt, Marriot, etc. If they can maintain their service I think it serves its market brilliantly.

Room Tip: The suites are large and the sofa bed is very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2011

What a wonderful & comfortable stay that we had at the Palomar Hotel from August 9-12, 2011. Right from the get go we felt comfortable and welcomed to this classy hotel. The employees are all friendly and helpful and were always making sure that we were ok. If we had a question they were happy to help us and also gave us suggestions for great places to eat at. Our room was a King Suite which was spacious and modern and comfortable for my family, our children slept on the pull out couch and we had no complaints from them. The children loved picking out DVD's and enjoyed the milk and cookies that were complimentary with this suite. If you choose this hotel become a member of the Kimpton in touch and enjoy the free WIFi and other perks available.
Being from Canada and our first time in Washington and not knowing what to expect we were all very happy with our experience at the Palomar and with such a great city full of history and wonderful people.
The Burns family can't wait to go back to the Palomar Hotel and Washington.

Room Tip: We used our CAA membership and that helped with the pricing for the room. If you have allergies to p...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ABurns260
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I booked this hotel becuase of all the great reviews it got, makes me wonder who is writing the reviews. Anyway I consider this hotel like a upgraded Holiday Inn which I am sure works for most people. We booked a suite, which was nice, what I appreciated was the size and decor. Again, nice but not top of the line.

the location was nice, I had never stayed near Dupont Circle and had never been to DC in the summer time, one word, HOT.

The overall service was good but I am not sure about the review of always having someone to great us at the door. I live in a doorman biulding and get better service at home.

The sound proffing of the room to the hallway is not great, which is a common issue in most hotels but not all.

The resturant had a menue that was not to my liking so we went out for each meal.

Overall the hotel is a 3 1/2 star hotel, it is pleasent and comfortable and we had a great time. Oh and the location is great.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keepingitreal_10
Thomas_Fraher, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Dear keepingitreal_10,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry our Doormen were not consistenly greeting you and that our cuisine in the restaurant did not meet your preferences. I was pleased to note you enjoyed the size and decor of your guest room, and found our location in DC to be ideal.

We look forward to your next visit.

Regards,

Thomas

Reviewed 17 August 2011

This is a fantastic hotel. We were upgraded to a King deluxe on check-in and weren't disappointed. The room was big, immaculately clean, the bathroom was big and bright, the bed was big and comfortable, free wifi was available (just join the loyalty programme and its free in all Kimpton Hotels) and there was a complimentary continental breakfast, along with complimatary tea and coffee in the lobby. The wine reception was just starting when we checked in so I sampled the sangria which was lovely. The hotel is in Dupont Circle which has lots of restaurants but if you're in Washington as a tourist, you will need to take a cab to the national mall etc. If its shopping you're after however, Georgetown is only a 10 minute stroll away.

Room Tip: Join the loyalty programme
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple