“Amazing Stay!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #34 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Just returned from a two night stay at the Palomar, and I could not have had a better experience. My room was beautiful (thank you for the upgrade!), and it was truly a first class experience. I travel for business frequently (and I have stayed at many DC hotels), and the staff handled all of my business and personal needs with style and finesse. I truly can not say enough positive things about this hotel, and there is no doubt I will be returning.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear MelissaR2012

We are thrilled you chose our hotel and had a great time. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. If you need anything at all prior or during your future stay, please let me know.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We had a lovely weekend in DC staying at the Palomar. We had a deluxe king room which was very spacious and welcomed a lot of natural sunlight! The dupont circle area was just great surrounded by many restaurant options and just a few short blocks to the metro station. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. They gave us two fabulous restaurant recommendations in the area which we were very pleased with. On our last day, we inquired about renting bicycles in the area only to find out that the hotel had bikes we can borrow! This was one of my highlights of the the trip! Gabriel helped us with this and made sure we were having a good time and that everything was to our liking.

The room was stocked with Aveda products which were great. The bathroom was quite large, almost the size of my bedroom at home! hahaha. The bed was very comfortable and found the hotel very quiet and peaceful.

The happy hour/wine tasting, etc was a very nice touch. After a long day of walking around and sightseeing, it was nice to grab a drink and some light snacks before dinner. Our room came with complimentary breakfast. Considering the caliber of the hotel and the happy hour the previous evening, I was quite surprised about the breakfast. There were very few options and we were segregated from the rest of the dining area of the restaurant...I did enjoy the food I ate as I am not a big eater however, it did not look very impressive and again, not quite reaching the high standards set in this hotel chain.

Palomar is located in a fabulous neighborhood and was not surrounded by the hustle and bustle of a touristy area. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to DC. Thank you for a great stay.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We booked this place on the back of the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor, and to be honest as we approached our stay we were a bit nervous - could this place really be as good as everyone says?

Well, it was. The rooms were, by US standards, enormous, and beautifully fitted out. Breakfast was plentiful. But what really marks the Palomar out is the service. The staff could not have been friendlier. When we had a small problem with our bath (plug not working) not only was it fixed promptly but the engineer offered us a free DVD as compensation.

The hosted wine reception is a lovely addition (although they need to stop interlopers as quite a few non-residents crashed it during our stay) and while we were they had an artist doing free caricature drawings of people - again a nice touch.

If I had to quibble I would say the views from the room weren't great (of a car park). The walls were a little thin. But that really was it. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ScruttonStreet1

Dear ScruttonStreet1,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are really proud of the atmosphere we create. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I will be sure to share your feedback with the team.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Palomar is located near Dupont Circle, one of my favorite areas in DC. 3 blocks to Q st entrance of Metro and tons of dining options. My hotel stay was good but did not blow me away. We stayed 2 nights over the weekend, first night in a Deluxe Queen room which was pretty tiny. We inquired about an upgrade and they were able to put us in an Executive King room which was much more spacious and somehow the bed was a lot more comfortable as well. The continental breakfast was a little limited so we went out for breakfast the second morning. I would stay here again but I'm still searching for my favorite DC hotel

Dear bridybo

Thank you for your great feedback. I am pleased to read that you found the Executive King room comfortable. We are indeed located in a fun and vibrant neighborhood. I am so happy you enjoyed it. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you return. I hope we can make the Palomar your favorite hotel in DC.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at the Palomar Hotel for 3 nights. The room with 2 queen beds was spacious. It was a pleasure to come back from sightseeing every afternoon to relax with a glass of wine at the complimentary wine hour. Location was great - close to the metro and lots of nice places to eat. We will definitely stay at the Palomar again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Palomar for 3 nights. We were visiting DC for a conference. We were excited when we learned that the organization had gotten a block of rooms at a Kimpton - our favorite chain. What we didn't realize is that they had selected the worst rooms - the Queen Deluxe Rooms (the Executive King is worth the $ difference).

My understanding is that most (if not all) of the Queen Deluxe Rooms have virtually the same floor plan. We were in 626. It is a long and very, very dark room. The window looks directly into the building virtually next to it. In addition, there is no opportunity for daylight to come into the room. The layout was the worst of any Kimpton that we have stayed at. The bathtub stopper didn't work and the sink drained slowly. The room is also near the elevator and the workstation for the cleaners. The walls were very thin and we were awoken at 7am to noise from the hallway - I think that it was workers talking, but could have been other guests. A note on the elevators - two of the three were working and they were very slow. Like many guests we generally used the stairwell. It was actually kind of humorous to see the stairwell so crowded on the higher floors - as clearly many people had given up on the elevators.

All that said, this is where Kimpton distinquishes itself. After that first night I asked to speak to the manager - Clayton. He understood my frustration. Without any pushback, he immediately made amends for the situation and made sure that we were satisfied. Despite the hotel being oversold, we were moved to a very nice room by him personally. The rest of our stay was totally up to Kimpton standards. One thing that I thought was especially neat was during the complimentary wine hour on the first night there was an artist that was doing free caricature drawings of the kids - how cool is that!

All in all, we had a decent time. Clayton literally saved our trip. But with so many Kimpton options in DC, we will go back some some of our favorites - such as the Rouge and the Helix.

Room Tip: Avoid the Queen Deluxe Room - pay for the Executive King

Dear GuysChi,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience. Clayton is pro! So happy to read that he made you feel comfortable and welcome despite the room and elevator hiccups. Please do not hesitate to let me know next time you are in town. I will make sure your future stays remain flawless.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just wrapped up a 3-night stay at the Palomar and I can honestly say that it was one of our best hotel experiences ever. The location was great. The rooms were spacious. And the staff was very friendly and accommodating and went out of their way to make our anniversary trip extra special. The wine hour between 5pm-6pm is also a nice touch. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012