“Valet damaged my vehicle...still waiting for payment”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Valet damaged my vehicle...still waiting for payment”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I stayed at Hotel Palomar on 1July 2012 and used valet parking. When my car was returned to me the next day, there was damage to the front passenger side door. I received my vehicle at the front of the hotel and drove to the gas station one block away. When I went to the passenger side of the car I saw the damage and immediately called the hotel. It had only been about 3 minutes between the time I got my vehicle and when I called about the damage. I filled out the proper paperwork to have the Hotel's Insurance pay for the damage. The desk manager assured me it would be taken care of. Six weeks later I received a response from the hotel's insurance company with regard to the damage caused while my vehicle was with Hotel Palomar Valet parking on July 1st. They informed me that the hotel is denying they caused the damage to my vehicle. I am gravely disappointed that the hotel has decided to handle the damage they caused to my vehicle in this manner. The Valet caused over 800$ of damage to my passenger side door. I know the damage was caused while my vehicle was with the hotel valet because I picked up my vehicle from the body shop earlier that week and it had no damage. I filed a complaint with Kimpton Hotel and was contacted by the Office Manager, Mr Chou. I have contacted Mr. Chou several times about the damage. He assured me that the Hotel would pay for the repairs to my vehicle. It has been 60 days and I have not been reimbursed for the repairs. I have sent estimates and contacted Mr. Chou several times but was unsuccessful in getting reimbursed.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank tara m
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear tara m,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am so sorry to read about the length of time it has taken to get the issue resolved. Please accept my sincere apologies. I am able to confirm that the check has been mailed to you at the end of last week and you should receive it any day. Please contact me if you need any further assistance; I will be happy to assist you personally. Best wishes, Stephane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Scotland
Reviewed 18 October 2012

There is not a lot I can add to what has already been said about this hotel. We loved it. Staff are a credit to the management, they always greet you with a smile and provide the hotel with that feel good factor at all times. We were surprised when we were provided with breakfast vouchers as we thought we had booked room only and the breakfast was a good healthy start to the day. The wine reception held between 5pm and 6pm provided everyone an opportunity to meet other guests not to mention an opportunity to have a nice glass or two of wine after a day seeing the many sights DC has to offer. This is a nice touch by the hotel management. Our room was very comfortable and a very good size all round. The hotel location could not be better, it is next to the lovely area that is Dupont Circle with lots of lovely restaurants/bars and coffee shops. We used the metro stop there and the hotel is only a 2-3 min walk from the station. We walked most places and the White House for example is a good 15 - 20 min walk away as is Georgetown which is a lovely place to eat at night. If I was returning to DC in the future I would look no further than the Palomar.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John181
hotelmanager_9, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear John181,
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel while visiting DC. I am so happy to read that you enjoyed the service and atmosphere we create. Especially our hosted wine reception! We hope to see you again soon. Best wishes, Stephane
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My girlfriend and I live in DC and frequent the Dupont Circle nightlife. As fans of Kimpton hotels and of Urbana restaurant, we chose Palomar to celebrate our collective birthday weekend. We couldn't have made a better choice!

This chic hotel is beautifully appointed and very comfortable. The staff are extremely professional and treat guests as though there is nothing they want more than to put a smile on the guest's face. It's as if the designers and management looked at every furnishing and every aspect of service and asked themselves, "how can we exceed expectations with this?" I've stayed in enough high end hotels to know when the place is just putting on a show or riding on their fame. This hotel is the real deal.

Palomar made us feel transported to a new and exotic land so much that the feeling persisted outside the hotel, as well. We strolled familiar streets and shops and found new things to enjoy as though we were first-time visitors. We sat in the center of Dupont Circle just a couple blocks away and just soaked in the diversity and positivity of the neighborhood. Every type of shop, restaurant, or bar one could want is within a short walk, making Palomar ground zero for an excellent stay no matter where you are from.

Take it from a local: Palomar is the place to book for your next trip to (or within) DC.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

Awhile back i wrote a review of the Palomar that was less than positive. Actually, that review was quite negative. Since that visit I've been back to the Palomar twice, and am pleased to say that I have done a 180 (or at least a 170) about the hotel. The rooms are generously sized, honestly priced (for DC), pleasantly quirky in that Kimpton way and as others have said, FREE WINE! As. For the staff, each person I met was gracious, helpful and generally first rate. In particular I'd like to give a shout out to the bald guy at the concierge/front desk who welcomed me upon arrival (around 1:30 pm on 10/17) and whose card I took but misplaced. He is an exemplar of what makes Kimptons special. When in DC, you can't do better than the Palomar!

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear hll55,
Thank you so much for your loyalty and to return despite your poor experience back in February. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure to share your review with Philip. He is an outstanding ambassador to our hotel and represents exactly what our Brand is all about. Please let me know next time you are in town. I would love to have the opportunity to meet you and thank you in person. Best Wishes, Stephane
wandering through Europe
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We have stayed in hundreds of hotels but were bowled over by this place. We got lucky and were upgraded to room 439 and what a lovely room.
The staff are all friendly, the free wine is actually pretty good and the fact they don't really have a restaurant ( Aruga the adjacent restaurant is not worth the bother with so many fine eateries nearby) is a plus as you are incentivised to go look elsewhere and explore.

Room Tip: Go for room 39
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
maesmom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We found ourselves stuck in a less than lovely hotel, and my husband used trip advisor to find an alternative nearby. Wow, did the hotel Palomar provide a needed rescue. At a lesser price point, we found more square footage, a quieter environment, lovely in room perks like extra pillows and lush bath mats. The hotel is in a great spot for access to DuPont circle. The staff are attentive and professional. We enjoyed the lobby, which appears small but is actually perfect for coffee by the fireplace in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear maesmom,
Thank you so much for choosing us! So glad that we could come to your rescue and make your visit in DC a success. Please come and see us again soon. Best wishes, Stephane
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I was astounded when I saw hotel prices for Washington DC--ouch! But Palomar had one of the least expensive in a great location (DuPont Circle) and I had stayed several times at Palomar/Westwood/UCLA and thought it was very nice. But this is better! My room is huge. The wifi is free (if you give them your email). They brought me (very good) white wine free of charge (that's never happened in my life!). I'm very satisfied. Stay here!

Room Tip: I usu ask for a quiet room, but held back. They assigned me Room 305, facing P Street NW, and its as...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank weedpatch
Dear weedpatch,
Thank you very much for a great review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel and found it to be of great value. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon. Best wishes, Stephane