“Great in many ways, but abysmal room service”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston
“Great in many ways, but abysmal room service”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The room was very large and well-appointed, front desk staff very accommodating, bath products very luxurious and offbeat -- Etro. Just like most Kimptons, the feeling of the hotel was hip and new, so it's a great hotel for people who enjoy relaxing. However, for us, room service is an important part of that equation; it's helpful for us to order food and do our work before enjoying a day of stress-free activity. Each time we ordered room service, they forgot something. One time, they even forgot to deliver the order at all! We literally fell asleep while waiting. Additionally, if you happen to call a few minutes after a specified meal time has ended, forget about trying to get anything remotely related to that menu. We couldn't even get toast after 11:30. That seemed like a reasonable item to order at any hour! Anyway, I don't want to discourage you from staying here. Just keep in mind that you're here for the room, not the room service.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sjgjess1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bilston
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My partner and I stayed here one night for our first visit to the city. The hotel is lovely and welcoming from the start. Porters are very good as soon as you pull up in the car. We were given drinks vouchers as we had missed their daily happy hour. Room was very well presented and a great deal of design thought and interior design has been used to great effect, from rooms to public areas. We didn’t have breakfast included in our rate. We would definitely think to stay at this chain again if we were travelling to a US city which has one of their hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Woodhouse35
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review Woodhouse35. We pride ourselves on the services we provide and i love it when people appreciate the detail and hard work we put into this property. Please make sure to come and see is again when you come back to the states.-Jerry Chou
Pell City, Alabama
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is my second stay in the Palomar. The first was a few years ago and it is still a fun, comfortable, clean hotel. Staff were great and the rooms very comfortable. Loved the animal print bathrobes in the rooms. Kinda funky but super convenient to restaurants in DuPont Circle and two blocks form Metro station. Only complaint is that parking was very high- +$50 with tax a night.

Green Features: Loved the ability to recycle in room. Enjoyed the Land and People Magazine. Great reading.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Atl30309
Thank you for the great review Atl30309. We are glad to have you back for a return stay and I am very happy to hear that it was just as good as your first stay. We are truly very blessed to be in such a great location right in the middle of all the attractions in the city. Thank you for your patronage and make sure to come see us again when you return to town- Jerry Chou
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I love this hotel. Upon arrival the bellman makes you feel right at home. I have stayed there a number of times and the staff remembers me and goes out of their way to make me feel right at home. A great location: near downtown and Georgetown. The rooms are quite large, beautifully appointed and quiet. Few hotels can boast of an outstanding restaurant...Hotel Palomar's restaurant is fabulous! The hotel has great energy with a lively crowd, but always appropriate. Friendly staff and friendly guests make this an especially fun place to stay.

Room Tip: Join their Global Business Plan for better rates and upgrades. If there are upgrades available, the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lewisville, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The Palomar was a great place for my husband and teenager to spend a few days in DC. We were looking at colleges and it was pouring the rain, but the staff offered umbrellas and went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant. We were 'stranded' at American University and it was raining like cats and dogs and we could not find a cab. I finally called the Palomar and they haggled with a taxi driver to come pick us up. Phillip, the concierge, even paid the guy to come get us. That was customer service beyond my expectations and we could not have been more appreciative. Way to go Palomar. We will be back.

Green Features: I love the fact that the Palomar is environmentally friendly. More should be like them.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Great hotel, location perfect, being close to bars and restaurants. Staff helpful and friendly even sorted out a limo to take us back to the airport. They had a happy hour 5-6 each evening and gave out free wine. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Washington and I am sure they would not be disappointed

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Great hotel. Friendly & helpful staff. Dog Friendly. Great location. I would definitely return.

Only a couple of negatives... First, the complimentary breakfast is nothing special. It is in the connected Restaurat called Urbana. It is the same thing everyday. Pancakes, cereals & a very low end fruit salad (98% melon). No real protein to be found.

The second demerit is for the quality of the Room Service food (from the same restaurant that provides breakfast, Urbana). It was pricey and just plain bad.

Not a fan of the Urbana connection. On day 3, just out of curiosity, I asked the host if I could see if the food happened to be different for breakfast, he said OK. I went to look... He followed me like I was a suspected breakfast thief. I saw it was no different. So I thought "No thanks, Buster. It's the same bad spread as yesterday." I promptly left with the suspicious host hot on my tail.

Aside from the food, which there are many great options in the area, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple