“Another Kimpton gem”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #33 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 January 2014

From the moment we arrived, having just missed the nightly wine hour, and being given 2 passes for free wine from the hotel bar, until the minute we left when the front desk gentleman grabbed our luggage to put in the cab while insisting we take a few newspapers, we were treated like royalty.

Conveniently located in Dupont Circle, mere steps from some great restaurants, bookstores and the Phillips Museum. So location is terrific.

Free wine every night with some lovely appetizers, cannot argue with that.
Had a minor problem with the television, an engineer was sent up immediately.

Add a comfy bed, great shower head and
quite nice bath products, and you have another Kimpton gem.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lefty713
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you so much for your fantastic review lefty713. The Hotel Palomar is in a great location just a quick walk or short cab ride away from a majority of the city’s attractions. I am glad to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy our wine hour. It is the perfect place where one can kick back with a glass of wine or hot toddy and interact with travelers such as yourself to share stories about your trip in Washington. Make sure to contact me the next time you are in Washington, I will be sure to make it another wonderful stay for you. –Jerry Chou

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Every year we meet friends here for a 4 day stay to celebrate birthdays and New Year's. The staff is always exceptionally friendly, rooms are lovely and spacious, prices are reasonable (except for parking), and public areas are inviting. Complimentary happy hour, coffee in A M., and cider/hit chocolate in PM are welcome additions.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive review skardm. I am glad to hear that you and your friends have chosen to stay with us every your annual Birthday and New Year celebration. Sounds like you all have a really good time. Please let me know the next time you are returning to stay with us, I would like to know what we can do to make it a perfect stay for you and get the 5 star rating. I look forward to welcoming you back soon --Jerry Chou

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I live 2 blocks from this hotel.

One Friday afternoon last September, I walked into my condo and discovered that a pipe had burst in my bedroom. The result was water leaking everywhere. After calling my contractor and totally stressing out, I walked up to the Palomar with the vague idea of trying to get a room for the night. The lobby was packed but I just patiently waited my turn. Once I spoke to the person at the front desk ( I think his name was Conrad) and explained my situation, I was immediately given a room at a very reasonable price. I was quite shocked, in a very good way, at the very high level of customer service. Additionally, once I arrived in my room, I found a bottle of wine and a lovely tray of fruit and cheeses.

Look, I travel frequently and have stayed in many of the best hotels in the world. However, I have rarely found the level of customer service that I found on this Friday afternoon at The Palomar. Conrad took care of me and made my unpleasant situation much more pleasurable. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dc ( or not). Also, the restaurant and bar are quite good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Paul V

Thank you so much for the great review Paul V. Providing the best possible service at the Palomar DC is what we pride ourselves on. Thank you so much for the praise about our staff and their customer service, we will be sure to share and celebrate your experience. Even though you live down the street, make sure to come and see us for any special occasions, I will be sure to extend you the best possible rate and ensure you a wonderful getaway. – Jerry Chou

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here in September for a work conference in Crystal City. I preferred to stay in DC and commute out rather than walk to the conference but be stuck out there when not working. I chose the Palomar based on price provided by our corporate travel agent and was very happy with it. The location is great – right off of Dupont Circle, and an easy and pleasant stroll to Georgetown. Great happy hour during week nights, $10 coupon on the minibar, generally excellent service. My room was vey comfortable, not tiny. Recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank travelerinbklyn

Thank you for the wonderful review travelerinbklyn. Glad to hear that you found us while attending a conference in Crystal City. Alike you, I would also prefer spending my after work time near DuPont Circle rather than Crystal City. DuPont Circle is a vibrant artsy neighborhood with lots to do and see. Thank you for recommending our hotel to fellow travelers, it is greatly appreciated. Please contact me when you are returning to the DC area, I would love to make it another fantastic stay for you. –Jerry Chou

Reviewed 29 December 2013

In town for the Washington Redskins/Dallas Cowboys football game for my husband and son. Made it a holiday family weekend for the four of us and arrived on Saturday, left on Monday morning. Booked a double king room for the four of us. Room was very spacious and easily accommodated us. It was more expensive than we would normally pay, but since it was a family Christmas present we splurged.

We found the hotel easily and pulled up to unload our luggage. As with most DC hotels there is very little parking and it's expensive ($45 a day), valet only at the Palomar. We wanted an alternative and the doorman was very helpful in providing options including a lot a few blocks away or on street parking. He made sure we knew if we parked on the street we'd need to move our car before 7am on Monday morning or it would be towed at 7:01 by the city. He was very observant with what was going on around the hotel and pointed out a car that was leaving and walked over to save the spot. On check out day we weren't ready to leave by 7am and were having trouble finding a place to park until we checked out around 9am. The doorman let us park at the front end of the loading/unloading zone in front of the hotel until we left. Really appreciated the help and friendliness!

The staff was very friendly and remembered us coming and going, opening the door and making conversation with our two sons. Very family-friendly and dog friendly hotel. There were dog treats and a water bowl in the vestibule area, a nice touch. I have heard they have goldfish or other things for kids, but we didn't see any of that. My kids loved the animal print robes (adult sized).

An easy walk to the White House, where we took in the National Christmas Tree and other sites. Only a few blocks walk to the Dupont Circle Metro station, and it only took about 15 minutes to get to the game. We also went to Chinatown, took in a Christmas market and the Portrait Gallery. Again, a very easy metro ride.

The hotel is located in Dupont Circle which is a lovely part of town with a mix of business and residential with new and historic buildings. Dupont Circle also has an outdoor farmers market every Saturday. We checked it out, and it was amazing. It was a very rainy Saturday, but it didn't matter, the merchants were out with their wares under tents. A variety of locally grown vegetables, cheeses, meats and other products. I was impressed and wished I lived closer. There were a lot of locals there with their shopping bags, and you could tell this was part of their Saturday ritual.

Overall a really great experience, and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AnnSBR

Thank you for your positive review AnnSBR. Sound like you and the family really enjoyed your trip to Washington and had fun family trip. Thank you for emphasizing on the staff’s friendliness and willingness to help, providing the best possible service is what we at the Palomar DC pride ourselves on and I am glad you had such positive interactions. Please let me know the next time you are in town, I would love to know what we can do to make it a perfect 5 star experience for you. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. –Jerry Chou

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Spent several working days at the hotel. Very convenient in terms of location, especially to Metro station, restaurants and just strolling around the area. Clean and comfortable rooms. A bit pricy, though.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Thank you for your positive review ronger5. The Palomar is truly in a convenient location close to most of the city’s main attractions. I am glad you chose to stay with us for your business trip in Washington and enjoyed your visit. Make sure to come and see us again when you return to Washington, we will be sure to make it another pleasant experience. – Jerry Chou

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Persuaded my spouse to let me try to prove that leisure travel doesn't have to end with an infant, but we wanted to start things easy. Booked a Christmas trip to DC and, after much hunting, I selected a spa king room at the Palomar.
Our stay is exceeding expectations. We arrived early but found our room ready, including the extras I had requested (crib and fridge). Room is clean and has plenty of space including a sofa and space for a play corner, which is especially nice given the fact that we have to weave naps and an early bedtime into our schedule. Spa tub is nice, and a bath and a magazine is a great way to end an early night. The staff have been absolutely lovely to us from the first time I called on, and we haven't felt like our having a six-month in tow is a burden to them. The hotel is solidly built, and while we are trying to keep baby noise to a minimum, the fact is there definitely has been some, so I appreciate the thick walls. The best part, however, was totally unexpected. Baby has his own "room". The walk-in closet is plenty ample enough for the porta crib and has allowed him to have quality sleep without us on tiptoe in the dark while we shared a room.
Thank you, Palomar, for proving that leisure travel can still be fun and relaxing with a baby. I would redo this trip again in a second thanks to you. You have given us a very merry Christmas.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank WhyNotWander

Thank you so much for your fantastic review WhyNotWander. I am thrilled that you chose our hotel and had a great time. The King Spa is also one of my favorite rooms. It is a very spacious room and perfect for a nice romantic getaway. Make sure to come and see us again when you return to the Nation’s capital, we will be sure to make it another perfect getaway. –Jerry Chou