“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Convenient location however I wouldn't say attractions are walkable from the hotel especially in winter. But subway is right around the corner and taxi is easy to get and considering the central location of DuPont point, it is easy to go everywhere.

The hotel room is very very spacious, one of the biggest room that a hotel could offer for standard room, everything is very comfortable and clean with big comfortable beds. The hotel also offers free beverage in the lobby in the afternoon which is a nice welcome if your return to the hotel in the late afternoon from the cold winter.

However the heater in our room was making a lot of noise when we turned it off and we had to call the hotel technician to come have a look. He spent a long time and I saw the inside of the massive heater vent and it looked like a mess inside with falling boards and tubes going everywhere. He tried to leak the water out and after a wile the problem seemed to have disappeared but it looked like it took some trial and error. Also there is a card in the room that offers the free yoga kit with Pilates ring and all, however when I called front desk, they told me only the yoga mat in the closet is available, I read the card to front desk and the lady told me they weren't offering it anymore and it's as a company outside that I have to pay for that comes nod provides the equipment. I was very confused about this misleading advertising.

I only stayed two nights but it was definitely a comfortable stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for your honest review Julie C. We take honest comments from people like you very seriously. The situation you encountered at our hotel is not the norm but that does not make it any more right. We always try to do our best and hope you will let us prove this to you on your next stay. Please let me know when you are returning to Washington and I will personally ensure your stay with us goes flawlessly.—Jerry Chou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Pros:
Helpful and accommodating staff
Excellent Location
Romantic low key bar, restaurant and sitting area
Funky decor and fixtures in hallways and bathroom
Comfortable bed!
Up the street from Krispy Kreme(Yum)
Snacks and drinks available in mini fridge in room( for a fee)
Nice free wine reception every night

Cons:
Vallet Parking was very pricey
100 dollar deposit for each night you stay (You get it back in a few days after you check out, but it's my money and I need it now! lol)
Soft headboards in the bedrooms appeared to have "love" scratches on them.
Some of the drinks were pricey

We were there to celebrate my birthday and New Years Eve. Any getaway is definitely what you make it. When planning to go anywhere, keep this in mind. You'll have a great time here if you don't sweat the small stuff!

Room Tip: Get a king room. The rooms are double the size of others.
1 Thank Nakia J
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for the honest review Nakia J. I am glad you chose to stay with us for your Birthday/ New Years Eve celebration and found our hotel to be of good value. Make sure to come and see us again when you return to Washington for your next getaway, we will be sure to make it another wonderful experience.—Jerry Chou
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed at the Palomar last week and I will definitely be back. For starters I am not sure who would rate this hotel negatively. I can understand a few things here and there not being perfect but you are staying at a nice hotel in Washington DC and not the White House. So simmer down.

The check-in was a fast process and we were able to check in within 5 minutes of our arrival. After settling in the room I usually open every drawer, closet, and cabinet I could find just to get a sense of what this place has to offer. The bathroom was clean and modern with many offerings that the hotel can provide if you forgot something like a toothbrush or even a USB charger. The closet was stocked with one umbrella, two robes, and an ironing board. The umbrella was pink but I believe that there was their color. Since I staying with another guy friend you can imagine two guys with pink umbrellas walking around DC. The minibar was stocked with wine and snacks and of course you can get the items cheaper across the street at the market but you are paying for the convenience. Better believe after returning from a night of partying that I could have drank a lake of water and paying 6 dollars for a liter bottle was the best investment. The wireless is not "free" but you can sign up for their loyalty program and get free wifi. Otherwise it's 12 dollars I believe.

They do have a wine social downstairs in the lobby from 5-6 for the adults and from 4-5 they have hot chocolate for the kids (I could be wrong on the time but check with the front desk). During the wine social we met other guests and they even brought out pizza for us to share. It was a really welcoming experience that a lot of other hotels did not offer. The staff went above and beyond to make sure our stay was one to remember. I'll be back to this hotel, for certain!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the wonderful review Nick S. We are thrilled that you chose our hotel and had a great experience. Providing the best possible service is what we at the Palomar DC pride ourselves on and I am happy to hear about the great customer service you experienced. I will be sure to share your review with our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. –Jerry Chou
bryn mawr, pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

From the moment we arrived, having just missed the nightly wine hour, and being given 2 passes for free wine from the hotel bar, until the minute we left when the front desk gentleman grabbed our luggage to put in the cab while insisting we take a few newspapers, we were treated like royalty.

Conveniently located in Dupont Circle, mere steps from some great restaurants, bookstores and the Phillips Museum. So location is terrific.

Free wine every night with some lovely appetizers, cannot argue with that.
Had a minor problem with the television, an engineer was sent up immediately.

Add a comfy bed, great shower head and
quite nice bath products, and you have another Kimpton gem.

1 Thank lefty713
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you so much for your fantastic review lefty713. The Hotel Palomar is in a great location just a quick walk or short cab ride away from a majority of the city’s attractions. I am glad to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy our wine hour. It is the perfect place where one can kick back with a glass of wine or hot toddy and interact with travelers such as yourself to share stories about your trip in Washington. Make sure to contact me the next time you are in Washington, I will be sure to make it another wonderful stay for you. –Jerry Chou
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Every year we meet friends here for a 4 day stay to celebrate birthdays and New Year's. The staff is always exceptionally friendly, rooms are lovely and spacious, prices are reasonable (except for parking), and public areas are inviting. Complimentary happy hour, coffee in A M., and cider/hit chocolate in PM are welcome additions.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your positive review skardm. I am glad to hear that you and your friends have chosen to stay with us every your annual Birthday and New Year celebration. Sounds like you all have a really good time. Please let me know the next time you are returning to stay with us, I would like to know what we can do to make it a perfect stay for you and get the 5 star rating. I look forward to welcoming you back soon --Jerry Chou
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I live 2 blocks from this hotel.

One Friday afternoon last September, I walked into my condo and discovered that a pipe had burst in my bedroom. The result was water leaking everywhere. After calling my contractor and totally stressing out, I walked up to the Palomar with the vague idea of trying to get a room for the night. The lobby was packed but I just patiently waited my turn. Once I spoke to the person at the front desk ( I think his name was Conrad) and explained my situation, I was immediately given a room at a very reasonable price. I was quite shocked, in a very good way, at the very high level of customer service. Additionally, once I arrived in my room, I found a bottle of wine and a lovely tray of fruit and cheeses.

Look, I travel frequently and have stayed in many of the best hotels in the world. However, I have rarely found the level of customer service that I found on this Friday afternoon at The Palomar. Conrad took care of me and made my unpleasant situation much more pleasurable. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dc ( or not). Also, the restaurant and bar are quite good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Paul V
Thank you so much for the great review Paul V. Providing the best possible service at the Palomar DC is what we pride ourselves on. Thank you so much for the praise about our staff and their customer service, we will be sure to share and celebrate your experience. Even though you live down the street, make sure to come and see us for any special occasions, I will be sure to extend you the best possible rate and ensure you a wonderful getaway. – Jerry Chou
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed here in September for a work conference in Crystal City. I preferred to stay in DC and commute out rather than walk to the conference but be stuck out there when not working. I chose the Palomar based on price provided by our corporate travel agent and was very happy with it. The location is great – right off of Dupont Circle, and an easy and pleasant stroll to Georgetown. Great happy hour during week nights, $10 coupon on the minibar, generally excellent service. My room was vey comfortable, not tiny. Recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank travelerinbklyn
Thank you for the wonderful review travelerinbklyn. Glad to hear that you found us while attending a conference in Crystal City. Alike you, I would also prefer spending my after work time near DuPont Circle rather than Crystal City. DuPont Circle is a vibrant artsy neighborhood with lots to do and see. Thank you for recommending our hotel to fellow travelers, it is greatly appreciated. Please contact me when you are returning to the DC area, I would love to make it another fantastic stay for you. –Jerry Chou