“Well recommended”

GreenLeadersGold level
Abergele, United Kingdom
“Well recommended”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed here for a fortnight stay. Good location, lovely hotel which included a happy hour between 6 and 7 pm free wine, soft drinks and nibbles. Breakfast choice was good too. Would go back again and definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you so much for your fantastic review Denise W. We are thrilled that you chose our hotel for your visit to Washington and had a great time. Sound like you truly enjoyed your experience. Make sure to come and see is again when you come back to the States side, we will be sure to make it another wonderful stay for you.—Jerry Chou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at the Palomar in January of 2014 for two full days, one night. It was supposed to be three nights, but a snow storm ruined that plan. I was unable to change the check out date, so I paid for the entire 3 night stay. This was not the fault of the Palomar, but another reason to avoid using sites like Expedia to book a hotel. That and traveling in the Northeast in the month of January is always hit and miss.

We booked an executive 2 queen room. The room itself was very large and comfortable. The bed was very nice and the small amenities were very much appreciated. I loved that there were ample electrical outlets throughout the room. The bathroom was OK. I usually stay in a spa room at the Palomar property in Philadelphia, so I am probably spoiled. Our view was of P Street, which was cool. We did a lot of people watching. Housekeeping did a mediocre job. They pulled up the sheets and gave us some new towels, but the items seemed to be just thrown in the room. The extra pillows and throw were still on the floor. I usually get an almost perfect refresh from the housekeeping staff at a Kimpton hotel.

The location of the hotel couldn't be better. Very busy neighborhood with lots of restaurants. You had so many eating options that I can't imagine anyone needing room service or the mini bar. As a runner, I also loved that there were so many runners out in Dupont and the general area. Definitely a young, trendy, and super active place. I never felt any issue with safety or security.

The gym was great and clean. There were great places to exercise outside, but the gym is great for an evening or bad weather workout.

We were in a room at the end of the hall. There was a corner room that had their door directly next to us. The noise was really bad because the folks in that room were in and out all night. I am sure we annoyed them in the morning with the door opening and closing. All in all....they probably need better sound-proofing in the hotel.

The elevators were annoying. We had to wait more than a few minutes during most trips up and down.....especially at peak periods. Forget trying to get an elevator at the time of the wine reception!!!

As a non-drinker, it was a shame that I couldn't take advantage of the evening reception. There were no non-alcoholic options.

I did look forward to a complimentary hot chocolate that was offered daily each afternoon. We actually came back to the hotel both days specifically to indulge in it. But, the hot chocolate was always empty. I never had the opportunity to try it.

Check in and check out was fast and easy. Customer service at the desk was good.

Service by the valets and porters was also excellent. Very friendly and helpful.

Valet parking is god-awful expensive, but I knew this before coming. $45 a day plus $8.10 in tax for a grand total of $53.10 each day.

I would return and hope for some hot chocolate next time :-).

Room Tip: Definitely book executive or higher for more than one adult
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Denise_54321
Thank you so much for your honest feedback Denise_54321. We are glad you chosen to stay with us and had a great time. Sorry to read about the mediocre job that the housekeeping staff did. This situation you encounter is pretty rare but that does not make it any more right. We always try to do our best and will be sure to make it up to you on your return visit. In regards to the elevators, we are aware that they are a bit slow right now but I am glad to let you know that we starting a project to replace all of the elevators at the end of the month so it will be greatly improved when you return. Make sure to reach out to me when you return to Washington, I will be sure to make it a five star experience for you.—Jerry Chou
Philippines
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

We were lucky enough to book a special discounted room in Hotel Palomar so besides the excellent room and services that we received, we actually paid very less.

Nonetheless, its regular price is still worth it. It is located in a vibrant neighborhood where its not so near the touristy spots where tourists are filling up the area. It is very near Dupont circle, which is the nearest stop for the metro. There are a lot of restaurants along the street so you wont have any problem finding somewhere to eat!

We stayed for 3 days and it was the perfect spring weather!

The front desk didnt hesitate to accommodate our needs when we did web check ins and needed the booking ticket printed out.

All in all it was a pleasure! And I would come back no doubt!

Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Rubie G
Thank you so much for your fantastic review Rubie G. We are so pleased that you chose our hotel and had a great time. It is true that The Hotel Palomar is in a great location either a short walk or quick cab ride to most of the city main attraction. It is such a fun part of town and should definitely not be missed. I am so glad that you read that you “would come back no doubt!!” Make sure to reach out to me when you return I will be sure to make it another wonderful stay for you. –Jerry Chou
Westwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was in DC on business and had the opportunity to stay at the Palomar Hotel. While my room was much smaller than my boss' (luck of the draw, they were the "same" rooms), it was still very nice. The on-site amenities were very nice, from the gym to the bar. I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to DC.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your excellent review Joseph V. We are so glad you chose to stay with us for your business trip to Washington and enjoyed your visit. We love to hear our guest say “I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to DC”. We look forward to your return. Make sure to reach out to me when you do come back to Washington, I will be sure to make it another 5 star experience.—Jerry Chou
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Palomar for four nights in January and it was great! I really enjoyed the location of the hotel on P street, a bit off the beat and track from the craziness of Dupont Circle. We have stayed in other hotels in DuPont, and I think the Palomar was the nicest. I don't know if we lucked out or what, but our room was HUGE. It had a hallway leading into the room, and was at least 500 sq feet. We had a lot of space for our 2 duffle bags!
The staff were all very friendly and accommodating, and of course, the wine reception every night was a big hit.
All in all, its a great place and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ALtravel1223
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you so much for your fantastic review ALtravel1223. I am glad you chose our hotel and enjoyed your stay. The Palomar DC does indeed have some of the largest rooms in the city and is in a great location just a short walk or quick cab ride from most of the city’s main attractions. Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff, we pride ourselves on providing the best possible service anywhere and I am glad you enjoyed your experience. Please make sure to contact when you return to Washington, we will be sure to make it another great stay. –Jerry Chou
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Small rooms. Nice location though right near dupont. Good resturants walking distance. Philips collection 3 blocks away. Staff is average. Nothing very memorable about the hotel though. Manager lizz anne was nice ( sorry don't think I spelled that right)

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your honest feedback blueh2ogirl. I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the size of your room. The Palomar DC actually has some of the largest rooms in the city. In the future I will recommend that you reservation the Executive room. The Executive room is double the size of our King deluxe room and will for sure be much more spacious and comfortable. Please also reach out to me when you return in the future, I will personally ensure that your stay with us goes flawlessly. –Jerry Chou
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with our 20 year old daughter. It's a trendy little place in the lobby, but a little dated once you reach the rooms, which are TINY by any standards - even smaller than rooms we have had in Europe, and that's saying something. I think they would be great for a single business person - our daughter was very happy in her room by herself, but my husband is well over 6' tall, and I'm not a midget, so it was a little bit cramped in our room. However, the staff are very nice, helpful and friendly, particularly Phil the Texan concierge, it's in a great location with lots of good restaurants and cafés around, the shower is hot and strong and the bed is very comfortable. We also loved the silly animal print bathrobes.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Mardi S
H0telmanager10, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback Mardi S. I am sorry to read that you were not satisfied with the size of your room. The Hotel Palomar does have some of the most spacious rooms in the city but the larger rooms are the Executive rooms. In the future I would recommend you to reserve one of the Executive class rooms instead of the Deluxe rooms as they are double the size and much more comfortable. Thank you so much kind words about our staff and Philip. I will be sure to share your comments with the team. Please reach out to me when you return to the states, I will be sure to make your stay a 5 star experience. –Jerry Chou