“Upscale hotel in awesome location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #30 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Upscale hotel in awesome location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend. From the start the valet guy was welcoming and nice. The lobby is really upscale and the front desk host greeted us by name. We reserved the room with the Fiji soaking tub and it was beyond what I was expecting. There was Campaign in the room and chocolate covered strawberries. The room itself looked like it was from out of an HGTV magazine. The food at the restaurant connected to the hotel was good but not enough. There is also a wine tasting from 5pm-6pm in the lobby. This is a great hotel for a girls weekend or a romantic getaway for two! Overall we are coming back very soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
H0telmanager10, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you so much for your fantastic review justmia30. I am thrilled that you chose our hotel and had a great time. Thank you for the kinds words about the staff and the service you receive. The Palomar prides itself in providing the best possible service anywhere and I am pleased to hear about your experience. It is awesome to hear that you are looking forward to coming back very soon. Make sure to reach out to me and I will be sure to make it another 5 star stay for you.—Jerry Chou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Overall, this hotel is really good value. Here are some pluses and minuses:

Pluses
-Great location, very central and a short walk to metro
-Good, up-to-date gym with complimentary fruit and ear buds
-Free wifi for Kimpton in touch members
-Courteous staff

Minuses
- Though our room was large, the fixtures were dated. Everything was very clean though
- Wifi is pretty slow
- TV didn't have the local NBC affiliate channel that showed the olympics. Really??

3 Thank wanderlustinwithsun
Thank you for your positive review wanderlustinwithsun. I am happy you found our hotel to be of very good value. Thank you for noting in your review about the courteous staff and the great location. Sorry about some of the fixtures in the room being dated, I am happy to let you know that we are starting to plan for a renovation so all the small detail are soon to be addressed. Make sure to come and see us again when you return to the Nation’s Capital. We will be sure to make it another wonderful stay.—Jerry Chou
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I love hotels. I was recently in DC for a business trip and since it was my first time there I decided to splurge and stay at the Palomar. Boy did I make the right choice (but you cant go wrong with a Kimpton)! I highly recommend joining their guest loyalty program. I received a $10 mini bar credit, free wi-fi and a daily newspaper. Plus if you know a “secret word” then you get an added amenity (I received 2 free breakfasts)!

I elected to stay in an executive king and the room was HUGE! There was a great desk for getting work done, a lounge chair and the comfiest bed in the world! The décor is modern without being garish.

The best part of the stay was the staff. I was always welcomed and asked how my day was going. The housekeeping staff was top-notch! A special “thank you” goes to the front desk evening staff. I forgot my laptop in the cab from the airport and was devastated. They were so nice and reassured me everything would be OK. Indeed the cab driver found my bag and returned it to the hotel!!!! The comforting words (and Kleenex) from the front desk was amazing.

There is an onsite restaurant which serves all 3 meals. Breakfast was good, but dinner was fabulous! It has a hip vibrant vibe and serves small plates of pasta and Mediterranean food. Definitely check out Urbana!
The elevators are being re-done at the moment.

Room Tip: The Executive rooms are huge!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Grnbug2000
Thank you so much for your great review Grnbug2000. I am thrilled that you chose to stay with us for your business trip in Washington and had a wonderful time. I really appreciate you taking the time to give such fantastic feedback about our staff. The Palomar DC prides itself on providing the best possible service anywhere and it is awesome to hear about your experience. I am going to share your comments with the staff and I know it will be greatly appreciated. Make sure to contact me when you return to Washington, I will be sure to make it another 5 star stay for you.—Jerry Chou
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I've been in small Washington DC rooms and I have been in a few large ones and bigger is better! My executive room had more space than I probably needed.

Everything worked fine and the room was clean.

I am a fan of Kimpton Hotels and enjoy all of their properties. (I have not stayed in Donovan House.) Location here is very good. Short walk up to Dupont Circle and the Metro station and lots of restaurants and shops. P Street NW has it's own share of good restaurants within a few steps.

I have eaten a few times at Urbana (the restaurant in the hotel) and have been very pleased on each occasion. I definitely recommend you try this restaurant particularly if you don't want to go out exploring after a day's work or touring. Upscale prices, of course, as you would expect in a hotel of this rating.

You probably know that hotel parking in DC is expensive. Don't let that surprise you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your great review donwest48. We are thrilled that you chose our hotel and had a fantastic stay. The Hotel Palomar does indeed have some of the largest rooms in the city and together with its central location really makes it a hard combination to beat. Make sure to reach out to me when you return to Washington, I want to ensure a Kimpton fan as yourself is well taken care of—Jerry Chou
Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is on Dupont Circle and close to the Metro. It is within walking distance of dozens of excellent restaurants. As for the hotel itself, it is nice, clean and the staff are friendly. They have a few perks for their frequent guests ($10 credit to the minibar, free newspaper at your door in the morning, etc). They have a free wine hour in the early evening in the hotel lobby. They don't offer free breakfast but do have a restaurant on site for dinner. However, I've never tried the restaurant since there are so many other options in the neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you so much for you positive review Michele W. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be of good value. The Palomar hotel is truly in a great location only two blocks from the metro and a quick skip or short cab ride to all of the city’s main attraction. Thank you for the kind words about our staff, it is greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share your experience with them. Reach out to me when you return to Washington, we will be sure to make it a 5 star stay for you.—Jerry Chou
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

The hotel is showing a little wear and tear (in elevators, bathroom doors), but all in all we had a great stay. I'll start with the one "con," because there were many "pros." The doors on the rooms are not soundproof, and so I could hear every noise in the hallways. We wanted to sleep in on Sunday morning, and I kept hearing "knock knock knock - housekeeping!" up and down the hallway all morning (I think starting around 9 AM). I could hear it so perfectly that I thought they were knocking on my door. The afternoon before that, around 3 PM, I wanted to nap but I heard "knock knock knock - engineering!" in the hallway on someone else's door, as well as a few fellow guests chatting in the hallway about their plans for the afternoon.

That said, had I had some earplugs, I would have been a happy camper! Everything else was great.

-Front desk staff was very polite and welcoming.
-The adjacent bar had delicious cocktails and our bartender was delightful and helpful.
-Free hot chocolate in the afternoon, though we tried to get some 10 minutes before it was over and there wasn't any left.
-Free coffee in the lobby in the mornings.
-Free wine hour, which we weren't around for so can't comment on it.
-Free WiFi if you sign up for their free loyalty program (why not - it takes 2 minutes)
-Good location close to the heart of Dupont Circle (a happening part of DC, if there were to be a happening part of DC)

We didn't take advantage of this, but I liked that they have lots of freebies on hand should you forget anything (they provide a list in your room).

Would definitely stay here again, but would bring earplugs!

1 Thank OysterJennifer
H0telmanager10, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback OysterJennifer. I am glad you chose our hotel for your visit in Washington and had a great stay. In regards to the wear and tear of the hotel, I am excited and pleased to let you know that we starting to plan for a full renovation of the Hotel so all the small details that is showing wear are going to be addressed. When you return to Washington, please reach out to me and will ensure that you get a 5 star experience.—Jerry Chou
sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Its been a while since I've been back but I honestly cannot find a better place to say in DC. Then this Kimpton property. I had a spacious, well appointed room with a king-size bed. Quiet luxurious comfort for underv$200/nightwith AAA discount! I inadvertently made a mistake in the dates of my say but they were gracious enough to honor the original rate. Decent restaurant and lively, hip bar, and free wi-fi if you are a Kimpton member. Located 2 blocks from DuPont Circle and Metro it is also a great area to walk around in the evening.

Green Features: Very high standards and practice..green leader in the field
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mayito2
Thank you so much for your fantastic review mayito2. We are thrilled that you chose our hotel and had a great experience. The Palomar DC has some of the largest rooms in the city and is a short walk or quick cab ride from most of the city’s main attraction making it a hard combination to beat. Thank you so much for your kind remarks about the hotel, I love to hear guest call the hotel “a real gem!” Make sure to reach out to me when you return to Washington, I will be sure to make it another wonderful stay for you.—Jerry Chou