“Dark, old, dysfunctional despite nice staff”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #38 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I'm still at the hotel and can't wait to leave. I've just stayed so far because I didn't have time to move to another hotel. I'm considering moving tomorrow.
Location is great, and staff very nice. Breakfast expensive but very good.
However, half of the room overlook a wall... and are extremely dark all day long. Wifi didn't work well in my room (I had to spend time with a customer hotline). Room was not cleaned when I cam back. I received no apologies for this. Carpet in the bedroom is very old (like the deco in the rooms in general) and smells dust. If you're allergic, avoid Palomar. I'm not and feel like sneezing each time I'm in the bedroom. Heating (forced air) is extremely loud and doesn't work well. Be prepare to feel cold each time it shuts off. I had to ask for a portable radiator. Don't come for the pool either, it's not accessible.
So by far, apart for the stylish attitude and features in the hall (deco, wine, music), Palomar is a very average hotel.

Room Tip: avoid spa rooms (bath are huge but whirlpool average) and these rooms have absolutely no natural lig...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank john b
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Hello john b,

Thanks for your review.

Gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your experience at my Hotel. I am certain the room cleaning issue was a one off situation. However, I am embarrassed as to how the situation was handled. Would you be so kind to contact me at Abe.liao@hotelpalomar.com to discuss further? I hope to make this situation right.

Look forward to chatting,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We arrived at the Palomar having travelled by train from NYC. The door staff and reception desk staff were very friendly and we got checked in without any problems. I had emailed the previous week to see if I could get some cocktails waiting for us in our room, to surprise my wife. Lukas replied to my email and was very helpful. When we reached our room, the cocktails were there, but unfortunately we had to phone the front desk and get our room changed due to the smell of cigarette smoke. Even the porter commented on it. We were switched very quickly (and managed to take our cocktails with us) and our new room was as fresh as we'd have expected. I'm not sure what had happened in our original room, but it's a shame that the cleaning staff hadn't highlighted it to the manager, as it shouldn't have been made available to guests until it had been thoroughly cleaned.

On our first night, we were awakened by our "neighbour" shouting and swearing down his phone, so the soundproofing isn't brilliant. My wife phoned down to the front desk and complained, asking if someone could go and talk to the guest in the adjacent room. We're not sure what happened, as the noise continued for some time afterwards. The next night, however, we had a note and some chocolates in our room from the hotel, apologising for our sleepless night. After that, we had no further issues during our stay.

There is a gym in the hotel but, unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to try it out. Washington is a brilliant city for walking around, so we burned our gym calories out on the streets. :)

There is complimentary coffee downstairs each morning until 10am and, during the week, there is a "wine hour" where you can get a complimentary glass of wine and some nibbles. Very nice touches.

Despite our couple of small problems, I'd definitely consider the Palomar again if we ever go back to Washington.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gbomatic
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Hi gbomatic,

Thanks for completing a review on TripAdvisor.

Sounds like a great stay, minus some unruliness from a neighboring room. Not much we can do, besides tell them to quiet down, but sorry still. So excited you got a chance to meet Lukas. He's a gem.

See you soon,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is definitely one of my favorite Kimpton hotels in Washington DC. The staff is always incredibly friendly, the location is perfect, and the rooms are gorgeous. Definitely check out the wine hour since they tend to have seasonal drinks that are always delicious. Also, it's definitely a good idea to join the Kimpton rewards program; you get a raid the bar credit, room preference, and special rates.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank krcbneu2

Hi neuhart2,

Thanks for your review!

Seems like you had a great stay. A love affair even! Thanks for pointing out our Guest Loyalty Program, Kimpton InTouch. Great benefits including my favorite, special "KIT" only deals and a nice $10 "Raid the Bar" credit.

See you soon,

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed here for a weekend trip to Washington - the hotel was well located between Dupont Circle and Georgetown, so it was convenient for sightseeing and restaurants. You can walk to the White House but if ou are going mich further, bikes or a cab into town are recommended. The social hour at the bar was great too - hot toddy when it was freezing outside! Staff were super friendly. Rooms were large and stylishly put together.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
H0telmanager10, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you so much for positive review A_and_H_away. I am glad you chosen to stay with us for your stay in Washington and enjoyed your experience. The hotel is in a great location just a short walk or quick cab ride from most of the city’s main attractions. Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. I will be sure to share with them and I know it will be greatly appreciated. Make sure to reach out and let me know when you return, I would love to know what we can do to make it a 5 star experience.—Jerry Chou

Reviewed 8 March 2014

OK I reviewed this hotel back when it first opened a few years ago and gave it rave reviews and have been back several times and never disappointed. BUT this visit was off the charts. DC is a central hub for our dispersed family, so our family has met up there for Thanksgiving and a number of other events.

This time it was a celebration of 2 birthdays and 1 anniversary (all 3 a few days apart). I booked our 2 rooms for 2 nights and received free parking as part of the Kimpton loyalty programming (just sign up with your email) - saving $200- yes, parking in DC is pricey.

I guess I must have mentioned to Hiwot at the front desk that we were celebrating my adult daughters birthday - when my daughter checked in there was Champagne and chocolate strawberries in our upgraded rooms ! Wow!

Both rooms were clean, huge, well-appointed - including the 'top of the line' fixtures in bath /shower (per our architect daughter). Staff as usual feels like family - not intrusive, just authentically happy to meet you and assist. I wish Kimpton could patent this model they are using for other services industries!

Everyone, from the valets, to the front desk and manager, to housekeeping staff is just warm and welcoming and it is contagious as guests suddenly drop their guard and follow suit. Oh and did I mention you can bring your pup? (They have special pet floors - and those pet-friendly rooms are just as lovely and very clean).

Great job Kimpton - your Palomar DC is tops!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank chetbori

Thank you so much for your raving review susiebelts. We are thrilled you chose to return and stay with us for your 2 Birthday and Anniversary celebration. Thanks so much for the kind words about our staff and especially Hiwot, I will be sure to share your experience with them and I know it will be greatly appreciated. We look forward to hosting many of your future family gatherings and will be sure to make it another over the top stay for you. –Jerry Chou

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I just wanted to write a review BEFORE I have even stayed at The Palomar. Ashley and Lizann have gone above and beyond in their duties of trying to find me the perfect room. And believe me I had a long list of what I did not want. Obviously you can't always get everything, nor did I expect it. I truly expected to get back a form letter saying they would do all they could. Well to my surprise they both have emailed me many times and answered all my questions. I am looking even more forward to spending the next week in DC thanks to Lizann and Ashley. Bravo ladies, they should be commended.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your excellent review Dana7656. It is so refreshing to hear about your experience with both Ashley and Lizann. They are truly ambassadors of the hotel and a huge asset to our team. We look forward to making this a fantastic experience for you. If we can make you more comfortable in any way please let me know.—Jerry Chou

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I understand that those four adjectives don't always go together, but for this hotel, they do. The decor is funky and classy because while the design is a little non-standard, the quality of materials--both in the rooms and in the lobby--are very nice quality. All touches, big and small are well thought out. One does not think of this as a "chain hotel," but of a high quality hotel run by someone with taste. The building itself is solid, so there is little--if any--neighbor noise. The staff are very well trained--they understand that as a traveler, I want to get into my room quickly and get my work done just as efficiently. Hiwot (perhaps I'm spelling her name correctly) is a perfect example of managing the front desk with efficiency and courtesy. It's the small things that mean so much.

Room Tip: There are a number of "cheap eat" places, even a grocery store, within one block.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Betsy W
H0telmanager10, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your fantastic review Betsy W. I am glad you chosen to stay with us for your visit to Washington and thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We are really proud of the warm intimate atmosphere we created and love that you noticed. Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff and especially Hiwot. I will be sure to share your experience with them and I know if will be greatly appreciated. Make sure to come and see us again when you return to Washington, we will be sure to make it another great stay for you. –Jerry Chou