“Excellent as always”

GreenLeadersGold level
Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent as always”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I'm a huge fan of Kimpton hotels and the Palomar only confirmed what I already knew about this brand. The rooms were well appointed, clean, and spacious. The staff was friendly and helpful- Gordon went above and beyond to assure that our stay was comfortable and we had everything we needed. The bar is well stocked and the restaurant is intimate with a impressive menu. The hotel is conveniently located near shops and restaurant and the downtown area. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Beware there are only 2 elevators working right now so something on a lower level may be better if y...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nonebetter
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Hi nonebetter,

Thanks for your review.

Sounds like an excellent stay! I really appreciate you acknowledging my friend Gordon, he is an excellent example of the kind of self-leadership and guest dedication culture that we encourage with all of our team members. We look forward to your next stay.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 18 March 2014

When we reached the hotel, the keys were not provided as the systems were down. However, the keys were provided after 2 hours. The wi-fi was included in the tariff, but the Wi-fi was also made available only next day evening. The worst part was that my room was allotted to another person and keys were provided to him. Luckily at that time, I was just in the corridor of my room waiting for my sister and I saw that gentleman trying to open my room. He told me that he has been allotted the same room. I showed him the working of my key which worked. Then he apologised. To the surprise of that gentleman and myself, we met again in the lift after abt 5 mins when he was getting of the lift and I was going to my room. He said that they allotted him another room and the same problem again happened. The other room was already occupied by some other persons. These were the biggest drawbacks of the hotel.

Another fallacy in service was that on the phone when I asked them that if the dinner was available late in the night, they told me that dinner is available only in the restaurant at that time. So, I went to the restaurant but there I was told that no dinner is available. Only drinks were available. So, the oral informations by the personnel of the Hotel and the reality do not match with each other.

However, the behaviour of personnel is very good and helping. Rooms are neat and tidy. No comments on the food as we did not had any.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Abhigya
Hi Abhigya,

Thanks for your review.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences at my Hotel. During your stay, the Hotel suffered a catastrophic loss in guest and admin internet. This threw a huge wrench into our plans, really impacting your stay. It caused all the Wi-Fi and Guest Key issues. Unfortunately, this was completely out of our control and happened with the Internet Service Provider. We have experienced no issues since this last situation was resolved. Sorry about miscommunication with dinner service, I'll pass that feedback on.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

It was less than I expected, but better than average, especially when you take price into account. Some things are just basic though. Some stains on sheet in noticeable places, dirty chair, and bathrooms, while a good size, could use a little upgrade. Never really interacted with staff so don't have much input there. OH, elevators take forever. One is down for maintenance so it makes it that much more noticeable. Free snail wifi, but have to pay to use the business center...

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SuperEasyToPlease
Hi SuperEasyToPlease,

Thanks for your TripAdvisor review.

Oh boy, tough feedback, but I do appreciate your honesty. Sorry to hear about the stained sheet, I'll be sure to pass this on to our laundry and housekeeping teams. This is not something I've seen as an issue trend. We did recently make a very large linen purchase. We are also in the middle of renovating our elevators. They'll be great when it's complete, but we're looking at October, later this year.

Paris
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I'm still at the hotel and can't wait to leave. I've just stayed so far because I didn't have time to move to another hotel. I'm considering moving tomorrow.
Location is great, and staff very nice. Breakfast expensive but very good.
However, half of the room overlook a wall... and are extremely dark all day long. Wifi didn't work well in my room (I had to spend time with a customer hotline). Room was not cleaned when I cam back. I received no apologies for this. Carpet in the bedroom is very old (like the deco in the rooms in general) and smells dust. If you're allergic, avoid Palomar. I'm not and feel like sneezing each time I'm in the bedroom. Heating (forced air) is extremely loud and doesn't work well. Be prepare to feel cold each time it shuts off. I had to ask for a portable radiator. Don't come for the pool either, it's not accessible.
So by far, apart for the stylish attitude and features in the hall (deco, wine, music), Palomar is a very average hotel.

Room Tip: avoid spa rooms (bath are huge but whirlpool average) and these rooms have absolutely no natural lig...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank john b
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hello john b,

Thanks for your review.

Gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your experience at my Hotel. I am certain the room cleaning issue was a one off situation. However, I am embarrassed as to how the situation was handled. Would you be so kind to contact me at Abe.liao@hotelpalomar.com to discuss further? I hope to make this situation right.

Look forward to chatting,

Aberdeen
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We arrived at the Palomar having travelled by train from NYC. The door staff and reception desk staff were very friendly and we got checked in without any problems. I had emailed the previous week to see if I could get some cocktails waiting for us in our room, to surprise my wife. Lukas replied to my email and was very helpful. When we reached our room, the cocktails were there, but unfortunately we had to phone the front desk and get our room changed due to the smell of cigarette smoke. Even the porter commented on it. We were switched very quickly (and managed to take our cocktails with us) and our new room was as fresh as we'd have expected. I'm not sure what had happened in our original room, but it's a shame that the cleaning staff hadn't highlighted it to the manager, as it shouldn't have been made available to guests until it had been thoroughly cleaned.

On our first night, we were awakened by our "neighbour" shouting and swearing down his phone, so the soundproofing isn't brilliant. My wife phoned down to the front desk and complained, asking if someone could go and talk to the guest in the adjacent room. We're not sure what happened, as the noise continued for some time afterwards. The next night, however, we had a note and some chocolates in our room from the hotel, apologising for our sleepless night. After that, we had no further issues during our stay.

There is a gym in the hotel but, unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to try it out. Washington is a brilliant city for walking around, so we burned our gym calories out on the streets. :)

There is complimentary coffee downstairs each morning until 10am and, during the week, there is a "wine hour" where you can get a complimentary glass of wine and some nibbles. Very nice touches.

Despite our couple of small problems, I'd definitely consider the Palomar again if we ever go back to Washington.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gbomatic
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Hi gbomatic,

Thanks for completing a review on TripAdvisor.

Sounds like a great stay, minus some unruliness from a neighboring room. Not much we can do, besides tell them to quiet down, but sorry still. So excited you got a chance to meet Lukas. He's a gem.

See you soon,

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is definitely one of my favorite Kimpton hotels in Washington DC. The staff is always incredibly friendly, the location is perfect, and the rooms are gorgeous. Definitely check out the wine hour since they tend to have seasonal drinks that are always delicious. Also, it's definitely a good idea to join the Kimpton rewards program; you get a raid the bar credit, room preference, and special rates.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank krcbneu2
Hi neuhart2,

Thanks for your review!

Seems like you had a great stay. A love affair even! Thanks for pointing out our Guest Loyalty Program, Kimpton InTouch. Great benefits including my favorite, special "KIT" only deals and a nice $10 "Raid the Bar" credit.

See you soon,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed here for a weekend trip to Washington - the hotel was well located between Dupont Circle and Georgetown, so it was convenient for sightseeing and restaurants. You can walk to the White House but if ou are going mich further, bikes or a cab into town are recommended. The social hour at the bar was great too - hot toddy when it was freezing outside! Staff were super friendly. Rooms were large and stylishly put together.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
H0telmanager10, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you so much for positive review A_and_H_away. I am glad you chosen to stay with us for your stay in Washington and enjoyed your experience. The hotel is in a great location just a short walk or quick cab ride from most of the city’s main attractions. Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. I will be sure to share with them and I know it will be greatly appreciated. Make sure to reach out and let me know when you return, I would love to know what we can do to make it a 5 star experience.—Jerry Chou