“Great stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We chose the Palomar Hotel for family and friends to gather for a special occasion. The hotel itself is very comfortable and well-appointed with an upscale and fashionable eye. We also worked with the private dining staff who could not have been more helpful in planning our event, including coordination with a local florist and bakery. Our guests enjoyed the great food and the wonderful service. This hotel was an excellent choice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hi David F,

Thank you for your review. What a great stay indeed! The Palomar is an awesome destination for gatherings of friends and family. We have a large part of our room inventory that features double beds, which is great for multiple occupancy, or in plainer words, families. I look forward to your next stay and thank you for trusting my Hotel with your most recent special occasion.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Wow, I was not disappointed, wonderful stay and over the top service! , I loved the staff, the room and all the service! Great hotel! Top shelf, including the bar! Beautiful'y appointed rooms and felt so much at home!

Room Tip: Love the corner room, very large!
Green Features: Perfect, I appreciate your efforts and frequent hotels that do!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hi Sarah J,

Thanks for your review. If you loved the bar now, just wait till August. We're getting a face lift, sure to make the experience even more awesome. See you at the bar!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We did our research on TripAdvisor ahead of time so we pretty much knew that this location would fit and it did.

Since we had a long stay having a place in a quieter part of town yet near a metro stop was a priority.

From Reagan National Airport we took the Metro Yellow to Gallery Place/Chinatown then transferred to Red Line to DuPont Cir. From there it's a walk west on P St to the hotel.

The hotel is located in a part of town with many Embassies which is great if you are in town during one of the open house weekends as we were.
The area has quite a few other hotels but still has a more local vibe than you'll get staying downtown.

Another plus is that in less then 2 blocks to the west you can get to the Rock Creek Parkway bike/running trail which will take you right down along the Potomac past the Kennedy Center and on to the Tidal Basin.

You can walk to the White House in about 20 minutes via Connecticut Ave.

Our room was extra spacious and overlooked P Street. We didn't have any problems with outside noise except one night when the utility company needed to do emergency repair work in the street for a leak.

There is an evening wine reception in the lobby with light snacks.

There is a restaurant on site that offers breakfast but we ventured out every morning for a local bakery or coffeehouse. A block to the east is a regional bakery/breakfast/lunch place with a nice patio.

The front door staff were always friendly and a treat to see in the morning or upon returning at the end of the day.

Members of the Kimpton rewards program get a $10 "raid the mini bar" coupon.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone we know going to DC and would stay here again if we return in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim H
Hi Jim H,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Lots to love in the comments, but most of all, the notes and touches about our staff, the people behind the curtain putting the show on. Location is killer too!

Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Brought my mom to visit dc (her first trip ever) I decided to stay at palomar. Great choice, clean rooms/bathrooms, friendly staff. It was a bit of a distance from main sights of dc but well worth the money. The only issue I had was that the room didn't have a greatest view from the window but hey what can you do! We were there to see the sights!!

Stayed March 2014
Hi Palmbreeze85,

Thanks for your review. So happy you got a chance to get out and see all that DC has to offer. Unfortunately, DC doesn't have the greatest views when it comes to Hotels. We're not a tall city, given the whole Height of Buildings Act in 1910. Old habits die hard I suppose.

Eastman, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was just perfect. Was here for a business meeting. Walked into my room and could not believe the size and view. Very comfortable bed too. In the morning there was coffee in the lobby and at night free wine and snacks. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location also is perfect and you can walk around Du pont Circle lots of ethnic places to eat and the Embassy Row is nearby or take the Metro anywhere in DC. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hi tigger3333,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate the first hand recommendation for business travelers. I think we are ideally situated and perfectly equipped to take care of the "on the go" business traveler. See you soon.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

One year ago, I booked the Hotel Palomar as family headquarters for Georgetown Graduation weekend. They did not disappoint. The hotel honored our request to house all family members on the same floor including two handicapped accessible rooms. The concierge assisted with many details including reserving a table in the bar for a family cocktail hour kicking off the weekend. The front desk ordered a "big dinner" for a relative who arrived in the wee hours of the morning. The valet called a car to drive four people to the airport that would accommodate 8 suitcases and stops at two airport terminals. The service provide by Lukus (management), Philip (concierge), and Karan (front desk) was above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks to the Hotel Palomar for contributing to a memorable weekend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank takefour
Hi takefour,

What an awesome stay! Thank you for trusting us with such an important weekend in your family's life. I am so happy to see we didn't disappoint. Until next time...

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The rating system has nothing between Average and Very Good. I'd say this hotel was Good. It's a nice, clean hotel in a nice, clean neighborhood, but because one of the elevators was out, it was a bit of a pain.
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle. I highly recommend this neighborhood. It's really nice. There are plenty of dining establishments, and conveniences, including Starbucks, CVS, lots of restaurants, metro, bus, etc. It's where many of the Embassies are located, so it's quite nice. It has a neighborhood-y atmosphere, compared to the more sterile and concrete atmosphere you'd find closer to the White House or Capital.
The hotel is located quite close to the metro. It's an easy walk. There is a Starbucks on the corner and many great places to eat. We enjoyed them all.
If you are a walker, you can walk to Georgetown, or even to the Mall and monuments. If not, there are buses, cabs and the metro at your service.
I like the location because it's "Central", if your touring takes you to places other than just the museums and monuments. We went north to the Zoo and the National Cathedral, and West to Georgetown and the Potomac. We also intended to go slightly North East to Ben's Chili, but didn't make it this trip. And of course if you go south, you can see all the standard sights.
Hotel: The hotel is modern (inside), with nice finishes. The building itself seems to be from the 60's. The staff are very friendly. The lobby is comfortable and the afternoon happy hour is VERY popular.
I found the room a bit of a disappointment, however, compared to another Kimpton I stayed at in the Dupont Circle area last time I was in town. At that hotel, the room was ENORMOUS, and decorated is such a fun way. This room seemed a little cramped. I asked for the complimentary yoga mat they offer, but there was really no area of floor space big enough to roll it out. Other than the small size, it was good enough. The selection of tv channels was lacking. After I walk my 8 miles a day, I like to relax and watch tv, but I wasn't happy with the selection.
The pool was open, but also disappointing. It was small, and cold (by the time I returned from my touring each day the sun had moved out of that area). So I didn't use it. Which takes me to a bit of a complaint about the hotel communication:
I called the hotel before booking to ask when the pool would be open for the season. They said it was open on Memorial Day-which is the day I was checking out. I brought my swimsuit anyway, just in case, and sure enough it was already open the Friday before. I hate when you can't get a correct answer from a hotel!! In further miscommunication, I noted that the hotel offered bikes for guest use. I called the hotel to find out how many they had, and what my odds were of getting one, also how long I would be allowed to use the bike on any given day. They said they had 3, and didn't know how long. When I got to the hotel, it turns out they only had two, and one was in the shop. However, to make up for that, they did offer the use of the city metro bikes which is really great. My pet peeve here, is that you can't get a straight answer when you call for information. And finally along the lines of bad information, as I mentioned at the beginning of this review, one of the 3 elevators was out. At the front desk, they told every guest to press "BOTH" buttons for the elevators, because the two working elevators were not running on the same call button. This caused HUGE delays, and I'll tell you why. If you were on a high floor, and all the people below you called for both elevators, and got on one, the other one would still stop at EVERY SINGLE floor, but no one would get on. ALSO, many people misunderstood, and thought they were supposed to push the UP and Down buttons, so the elevators all stopped on every floor going up too. It took ages to get anywhere. Very annoying.

But the pool is open now, and the bike problem is a non-problem, and the elevators will probably be fixed soon, so let's move on.
The beds were pretty comfy and I had two types of pillows, so sleeping was good. The room is pretty quiet, hall way noise was at a minimum. The towels were lovely and absorbent. Seems with the invention of microfibers, you can't get a towel that absorbs water any more, so with the combination of a nice bed and good towels, the hotel was already better than being at home. Also, there was an abundance of towels. A++
The toiletries were OK. There was a very good magnifying mirror, and a huge in room safe. There was only ONE zebra stripe robe for two people. I'm not sure why that was. Our room on the 9th floor had a back view of a trash compactor. Also a bit of a disappointment, but not a deal breaker.

Beware the running map! We asked for a running map because the thought we'd like to run along the Potomac. The map shows 3 lengths of routes, but the mileage indicated was not correct. I had a phone app measuring the distance, and my husband had a Garmin watch. We both got 4 miles round trip to the Lincoln Memorial rather than the 3 that the map suggests. Also, it's not crystal clear where that map is telling you to go. Here's the answer. Run west on Ave P, across the bridge and then make an immediate U turn down the ramp (or more safely, the dirt path) to Rock Creek Parkway. Yes, there is a running/biking path ON THE PARKWAY. Follow that along and eventually you will end up adjacent to the Potomac. Follow it to the memorials. Warning, there are no water fountains on that path. We both got really over heated.

Would I stay there again? Yes. I really like the other Kimpton hotel in that area better, but it's much farther from the metro station.

One last thing, I just got back last night and I see that my bank account is showing a pending charge for $300 MORE than my bill indicates. Hopefully that will work itself out. Because I used my debit card, that's a hold on my available cash!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Intrepid_Traveler13,

Thank you for your detailed review! What awesome specifics about your stay. Indeed, we are halfway through the slow process of fully modernizing all three of our guest elevators. Good news is, once complete, the experience will be super efficient going forward. Sounds like a really fair review as I read through it. I'll get on the bike and running map situation.

Thanks again,