“Decent and Recommended, but”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #32 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Decent and Recommended, but”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel is very decent and upbeat. The way they decorate their rooms is just different and catchy. I was checking in when their systems were down, so they ended up giving me a junior suite as a compensation! Very respectful team serving there. Nice layout, decent location and great services around. You are in DC so easy walk to lots of destinations. I would not though say it is a family friendly as the party goers, and coming back, tend to be a bit more noisy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FahadDM
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hi FahadDM,

Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear about your check in experience. We did have some emergency system work completed at just the most inopportune time. Glad to see our stellar desk team was still able to still take good care of you.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for a quick getaway on the weekend. Clean, modern, nice facilities - certainly not over the top but neither is the price. Staff is incredibly helpful and friendly - a shoutout to the doormen who are great (especially Ben). The wine hour is sophisticated yet still manages to cater to the kids. Great area, right around the corner from Dupont Circle and some really great eats. The continental breakfast was advertised as just juice, coffee and a pastry but was really a full hot spread with pancakes, eggs, etc. Well worth it all around!!

Room Tip: Stayed in an executive room. A bit of extra space was nice for only about $20 more.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SK4inDC
Hi SK4inDC,

Thank you for your review. Appreciate the shout out to Ben! He's awesome, been at the Palomar since Day 1 and is certainly an asset for us. Thanks for the note about kiddies too, we love everyone, bring the whole gang for your next stay!

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great Hotel, awesome location, very clean, friendly staff and love the décor. The only downside is the breakfast is not included. The complimentary drinks went down a treat and the gym and pool are great to use.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravellingP82
Hi TravelingP82,

Thank you for your review. Sounds like overall a very good stay. As for the breakfast, we do offer several special promotions that at times will include breakfast. Something to consider for your next stay with us.

Thanks again,
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great area to be in! Easy access to Georgetown, National Mall, Foggy Bottom, NW clubbing/night life/restaurants. Our room was small but comfortable. We had zero view, but were rarely in our room. Pool is nice, but only gets direct sun for only a few hours a day the way it's positioned. The gym is nice and has adequate equipment. We didn't use it as we walked everywhere - so we got our exercise that way. The complimentary wine social was very nice, but could use some upgrading on the snacks. The olives/crackers were fine, but the gold fish/animal cracker combo felt childish and unrefined to accompany the wine. Other than that, the elevators didn't work well enough for us to use, but we are a young, active couple who didn't mind the quick four flights. Range of guests was very diverse from young to old couples, straight/gay couples - this hotel appeared to accommodate all - great job for appealing to everyone! Great time for a 3 night stay. If you're staying over a Sunday - DuPont has a wonderful little farmers market about 2 blocks away! Must try. And to comfort those tired feet/legs after a long sightseeing day, Comfy Feet Spa a few blocks away is a great choice!

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room. If older try to get something on the lower floors if elevators are still bei...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank guttwa9999
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hi guttwa9999,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor! Sounds like a great stay and I'm happy you pointed out our location. I think it's just awesome, given our central location and easy access to all the neighborhoods you mentioned. I did want to make a comment about the snacks, we setup our "kids station" during the evening hosted manager's reception, to have an offering for our younger travelers. Sometimes folks are timid about bringing the little ones down, so we tried to encourage it on our end, but I do appreciate the feedback.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in late May. I'm a Kimpton InTouch member so try to stay at their properties when prices make sense.

In typical Kimpton fashion, this property is a re-do of an older hotel. Kimpton has put their "we're not trying to be the W but we do want to be hip" touches on it to mask some of the former 2/3 star hotel vibe.

Pros:
Location of hotel is great. We had an "executive king" which was a huge room, for right around $200/night. Typical Kimpton touches of free wine in lobby from 5/6p every night were nice. At some point they need to tell their branding folks that the animal print robes in the rooms - that they've been trying for several years - just aren't cool.

Room was quiet, A/C worked well. Comfortable bed.

Cons:
1 of the 3 elevators is down for maintenance. Seems to have been going on for a while - hotel is certainly aware, they're giving $10 minibar credits as compensation and have signs posted to the stairs and the service elevator. But it's still a pain.

Bathroom in our room was tiny. Appreciate them trying to be "modern" but the bathroom sink has some ridiculous faucet that makes brushing teeth, washing face a contortionist act.

All in all if you can get a room here for the low 200s or less, probably a good value. Great location with restaurants, etc nearby.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glbtrttr
Hi glbtrttr,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate the honest feedback. We are indeed undergoing a elevator "renovation", or more technically described as a full modernization. The process takes nearly 10 months, of which we are more than halfway through. The good news, following completion, the elevator experience will be vastly improved in the Hotel. We are also in the process of planning for a full scale rooms renovation. Stay tuned for more details, by signing up to be a Kimpton InTouch Member.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I am a young customer of the Palomar Hotel and upon arrival was immediately misperceived by Candance Hardt as not being able to afford the room I reserved, with her over emphasis on "I see you have reserved the Spa Suite (3xs). She rushed through the entire introduction of Palomar not stating once 'Welcome to Palomar", but merely Good Evening. Ending with "don't have any parties!" Implying that if I did choose to celebrate in the room I would not be able to afford the incidentals. (Even the though the room was already unpleasantly warn!!!) Not the Kimpton standard for greetings or welcomes, at all.

I swung by the hotel three days in adavance to ensure the room was paid for and authorization forms had been receieved. Since they don't issue rooms until the day of I was not able to look it over. Even after the authorization forms had been received and confirmed over the phone, Karan stated he had never recieved my email. Only after speaking directly to Karan face to face Tuesday, May 27th, 2014 at 14:14 was this taken care of immediately. The authorization form was originally sent on 5/23 @16:26, a representative then called for the security code on the 29th and then never followed up completing the transaction until i arrived in person. Inefficient!

My partner and I arrived May 30th, Friday evening and the best greeting was from Badr and Kafla! Thank you Thank you Thank you! Kafla brought our belongs to the room and raved about the VIP room. :)

Unfortunately when we arrived to the room (1039) I was underwhelmed. It did not meet the standards that are advertised on the website. There were only two pillows on the bed it was not decoratively staged as a nice chic room as seen in the photos. The glass on the office table and the bed table had coffee rings. There was only one luggage rack and one bathrobe even though the reservation was made informing the hotel that two adults were occupying the room. The sliding doors were noticably damaged and overall decor noticably warn. Baseboards skuffed, desks were chipped, fingerprints and coffee rings on the glass. Some black glue running down the front door. Although Candice exclaimed that we reserved a Spa Suite the only elements of the room that met those standard was the size and the spa tub.

The towels were not spa towels or even nice and plush. The bathroom sink still drains terribly slow. So after I brush my teeth my partner has to wait 6mins before it appropriately drains to brush her teeth. The hair drier came w/o a canvas bag. The light over the spa tub work seldomly. The AC unit was quite loud and rattled all night so we called Luis one of the engineers to come take care of that. Thanks Luis! The TV didn't work properly and randomly selected channels and movies on its own, so Marcellino had to come repair that. After our first night we ordered more pillows and a second luggage rack after speaking with Nabeel. When we returned to our room at the end of Saturday 5/31/14 the room was clean but the extra pillows that were brought up weren't even placed on the bed. They were place on the chase lounge. Which let me know that the standard # of pillows are four w/o the decorative pillow displayed in the photos online. I recommend staff do suite room check list prior to handing over the keys to customers.

Saturday night we enjoyed a bit of wine and olives at happy hour before our in house massage. Before they disassembled the wine bar I asked Jose if I could have some more olives and he rolled his eyes, mean while the other lady pushing the cart said yes please please have more. We met our massage therapists (Rediet and Calvin ) from Relax & Rejuvenate in the service elevator. If you choose this option definitely request Rediet, (pronounced Rudy) she is hands down the best therapist they have at R&R! Thank you Rediet. I tipped her more than Calvin b/c my partner did not care for his style and requested that he make more sensitive movements along her back but continued, even using the chop style hand movements. Lol, didn't even know massage therapists still used that method. After the massage we relaxed about and went to fill the spa tub and realized room service had not cleaned it from the previous day. Lanka and Bona came up to take care of that.

The comedy of errors would have been minor if there was only a few. But the degree to which the bell men and service members raved about the VIP room, it certainly didn't meet their standards, nor the standards of a Kimpton Hotel. Nabeel informed us upon his tour that the hotel is indeed at the stage in which it will be under going phases of reconstruction. Currently the elevators are being remodeled. Which surprisingly was NOT an issue for us at all! It was the quality and cleanliness of the room, that made me question reserving and recommending this space to my Center for Disease Control coworkers and USMC service members.

My partner and I planned this stay to relax before I begin officer candidate school at Quantico Monday June 2. I wish I would have return to the DuPont Hotel were I frequent for business in Washington. Was trying to be different and step outside of business mode and into relaxation. I will not be recommending this hotel for my family for August OCS graduation. I will however, check-in to look at the renovations to the Urbana restaurant once complete.

I would like to thank Phillip, Nabeel, Badr, Ben, and James (Urbana) for your excellent customer service. Dave you kept a smile on my partner's face and seemed like you a re very good at doing this for so many other Palomar customers. Nabeel I truly appreciate you taking time to conduct the tour and look forward to the renovations. The lobby is gorgeous.

Respectfully,
Akbar

Room Tip: Ask about the renovations and which stage they are in before booking to ensure it will not conflict...
Green Features: ALL rooms are eco friendly! With sensors on the AC to alert the system when enter and exit.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aneesah A
Hi aabaruq,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I love all the specifics. Would you be so kind to contact me directly at Abe.liao@hotelpalomar.com? I would appreciate reviewing your experience in detail.

Hope to hear from you,
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel over twenty times and love It! Many wonderful employees and great service. It will never be the same without Mr Jordan. He was what set you apart from most properties! Of course Phillip does as well, as many others.

Mr. Jordan made you the highest Top Shelf and his lack of presence is greatly missed in my stays.

He made me feel special and had the highest level of customer service I have experienced!

Room Tip: Love the corner suites
Green Features: Great job! No plastic which is awesome! They do a great job!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Sunnynlajolla,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you acknowledging Philip. He is indeed wonderful, I think the best Concierge in DC. There is more to look forward to this year. We're planning a full scale rooms renovation so are excited to present a new room product in 2015. Stay tuned!