“Great as always”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wilton Manors, Florida
“Great as always”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Super hotel. 4 nts in DC and glad we stayed here. Staff is wonderful, room was nice. Had a problem the first night with 1st room. No problem moved to another quickly. Great location with some super restaurants around and for seeing the sights. Great to get back by 5 for their happy hour. Lots of nice people to chat with or to simply watch. Stayed with Kimpton in other cities. They never fail us.

Green Features: Don't like the idea of having dogs there but unless you see them you wouldn't know.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hi David G,

Thank you for your review and 5-Star Rating! I appreciate this return guest testimonial. Speaks volumes for first time guests, considering our Hotel as home while in DC. Our Evening Hosted Wine Reception is always a hit. Glad you took advantage!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was looking for somewhere to stay in DC that would be near some nightlife (restaurants, bars etc.), be close to public transport and not too far from the sights if I wanted to walk. The Palomar turned out to be a great choice.

Located near Dupont Circle it has a myriad of restaurants nearby catering to any taste and was close to the metro line. I ended up not using the metro and instead used the Tripadvisor DC app to conduct a walking tour of the major monuments and logged 14 miles from the hotel and back - but the metro was always there just in case I had enough walking. It's not far to walk to the White House through a retail area and from there you can take in the wondrous sights of the capitol.

The hotel is also extremely well suited for exploring Georgetown and it's just a short walk through a nice park and some fantastic architecture to get to the main street.

The rooms are a decent size but I was in a room down a shorter, narrower corridor off the main corridor (X14). This meant there were three rooms whose doors were a couple of feet apart so there was some noise spilling from the rooms. They are also a dog friendly hotel, which is awesome.

The hotel bar and restaurant were very nice and the bar was open fairly late. Breakfast was good but the buffet was pretty limited in eggs and pancakes being the only hot food that was available.

Parking is outrageously expensive and it cost me more to park it than rent it at $45 per day. This may be the norm in the capitol but I found it to be a shock.

There's a nice pool area and a small gym with some cardio machines, weights and a small area to do some floor work.

I'm definitely heading back to DC and will definitely look to stay here again, this time sans the car!

Room Tip: Avoid X14,X15,X16 as they are in an offshoot of the main corridor
Hi Si405,

Thank you for your extensive review about our Hotel. I can see you took away many positives from your experience. As for parking, yes, it can be rather pricey in any major metropolitan city. DC parking rates are in line with those in Chicago and New York City, so you can imagine how often we hear this. We don't have luxury of ample space given our location.

San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Every Palomar is great - what makes the Palomar in DC stand out is the staff and location.

The staff are among the best you'll ever meet - always there to lend a hand or offer great suggestions.

The location is perfect - just off the circle in the right direction - two refined quiet blocks with great food (Le Pain Quotidien, Scion, Paradiso) and a nice atmosphere.

Plenty to in the neighborhood - The Phillips Collection is around the corner and a great place from which to launch excursions to everything DC has to offer.

This was not my first stay, and it certainly won't be my last.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Will_Swagger
Hello Will_Swagger,

Thank you for your review! I love the username by the way! So many positives with your stay, I appreciate you acknowledging our staff specifically. We go out of our way to hire genuinely good people that want to care about others. Makes me excited when they are acknowledged in this way.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Palomar for one night on business. The hotel is nice and clean. I was welcomed warmly during check in. My room was small, but standard size for the area. The hotel was quiet and is located in a nice area. There are lots of places to eat within a short walking distance.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hello Southerntraveler18,

Thank you for your review. Sounds like overall a great stay. We do offer varying categories of guestrooms with different square footage, exposures and features. My favorite is the Executive Category rooms. Check out our property, The Brice, in Savannah, Georgia. Your neck of the woods!

Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I am beginning to travel more and more for work and any time I am asked to stay in a place where there is a Kimpton it's very hard not to go just to have such as nice change of atmosphere. There might not be free breakfast but the wine hour more than makes up for that. The friendly staff and beautiful, clean, high quality rooms make you feel like royalty!

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to fragrances, ask for a fragrance free room.
Green Features: I have never had to travel with my dog but the fact that the rooms are as nice as they are and they are pet friendly really amazes me!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hello rodmanflorida,

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry about your experience. It was not at all consistent with our typical Hotel reviews. If you would be so kind to contact me directly, I would like to discuss this negative experience with you further. My email is Abe.liao@hotelpalomar.com.

Thanks,
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Palomar in DC is under construction although this is not mentioned on their website. As a business traveler that is on the road a major part of the year, I decided to give Kimpton properties a try. The first room I had was next to a family with many kids that was so loud that I had to call for assistance. This is the first time in 20 years I have had to make such a call. The front desk said they would help but there was no change in the noise level for several hours. I called back and just asked to change rooms. I was told by the front desk that they were sold out. Since I travel often, I had already checked the website and knew this to be untrue. I asked for a manager who told me they did have rooms and she was not sure why I was told they were sold out. I was moved to another room that had a horribly pet feces smell. This hotel allows pets and the smell permeates the entire place. I asked for another room but they said they could fix this room. They brought an ionizer to clean the room and I had to leave for an hour for this to occur. When I returned to the room an hour later it did not smell much different but by then it was 11:30 pm and I needed to get to bed to go to work the next day. The room did not seem very sanitary and I was very uncomfortable sleeping there.
If you enjoy the smell of pet feces and wet dog then this is the place for you. I will not be returning.

4 Thank rodmanflorida
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The Palomar is ideally situated just 2 blocks from the vibrant neighborhood of Dupont Circle. Kimpton does a fantastic job keeping ppl on site with daily 5pm happy hour. The rooms are a hair small, but that's understandable considering the location. The staff was very welcoming. 1 of the elevators was being serviced, but they were on it. I would definitely return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hi NellyGs,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate the 5-Star rating, albeit a couple of issues. For room size, I would recommend booking the Executive Category. For a small up sell charge, you get way more square footage. Elevators are almost done! June we will have 2 new ones in operation and all 3 by the end of September. Stay tuned.