“Amazing place, needs some upgrades”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #30 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Amazing place, needs some upgrades”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have stayed here many times, and will continue to return. The location is great, the staff are AWESOME (Nabeel, Philip, Rachel, Dave, Ben, Caitlin, Kelly, etc). They are almost finished upgrading the elevators (they were slow before, now more timely), and soon will be remodeling the restaurant, Urbana. I hope they give this hotel the respect it deserves and make some normal 'wear and tear' fixes to the rooms. The hallways are very dark, some of the furniture is starting to show signs of use, and it just needs an all round 'freshening up'. Kimpton has an amazing property here, I hope they treat it well. The staff are all just fantastic. Several great restaurants nearby. The pool area was very nice, although during DC's hot summers I wish the pool wasn't heated to bath water temps. Great exercise room. And of course, the Manager's reception with complimentary wine and snacks.

Room Tip: Ice machines are on odd numbered floors. Room 817 was large and had a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dcoalr
MMJennings, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Wow! So many names mentioned in one review! The staff all feel like celebrities. Thank you so much for including them all. We just recently reviewed the design for the guest room and corridor renovation that will happen next year and they are stunning. As you mentioned Urbana is being refreshed now and opens again on September 2. The bar will be twice the size. We can't wait. In the meantime we are giving our guests free apps when they dine at Firefly. We can't wait to have you back.

Mark Jennings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel last weekend for my bachelorette party. My friends reserved two rooms for Saturday night. We were able to check in early and our rooms were next to each other. The staff was beyond helpful! We even came back to our room in the afternoon to three bottles of wine and a nice note from the concierge! ! The rooms were spotless! I am very particular in hotels and usually bring my own sheets but this hotel had nice beds and sheets!! The front desk staff was wonderful! I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Laurie G
Hey Laurie G. I'm so glad that everyone had great time at the party. Everyone seems to love the new beds. We would love to have you back. Please hurry!

Mark Jennings
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

What friendly helpful service! From prompt email responses to a smile & hello from every single employee, the Palomar was outstanding. They helped recommend dog daycare & appropriate day tours, & really know their stuff. Location is great for walking to Starbucks a few doors down & little cafés nearby. They offer complimentary coffee in the morning & wine in the afternoon, which gathers a lively scene. In this price range, this is the place I would definitely return to.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Karen317
Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I am not paying justice to this hotel as I am writing this review much later after I stayed there (fall 2011) -yet they were so good that they deserve mentioning in trip advisor. I organised a 10-people business meeting at this hotel. Traditionally, we book at 4-star hotels, we try to avoid big and chain hotels. We try to be in town so to walk to places. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the hotel and the staff. We work hard at these meetings, hence everything has to work without problems and we need to ensure that we can all rest/work comfortable (quite, comfortable room) particularly as attendees come from around the world. Nothing was cause of concern here, everything was perfect from technical, to rooms, arrangements and food. What stroke me most was the friendliness of the staff, in business, it is so often talked about the 'extra mile', well this was an experience of the 'extra 100 miles' to say the least. Should I ever have to organise a meeting in Washington DC, this would be the first place I would look at. Unless more recent reviews contadict this opinion, I can only highly recommend the hotel. Thank you for the enjoyable stay despite having to work hard!

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Abe L, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hello Tuffedpuffin,

Thank you for your review. What an excellent experience indeed. I appreciate you sharing the meeting booking experience with the traveling community. We so often receive reviews about leisure experiences, so it's good to see a business perspective. The extra mile, that's a road less traveled for some, not us!

Cheers,
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

A short walk to the subway and then a quick ride to all the attractions. We could leave the hotel and be at the Smithsonian in 30 minutes. There are some really great restaurants either in the same street or one street away. We ate Thai, Moroccan and Irish and enjoyed all three.
The hotel staff appear to be trying to attract a younger market but possibly trying a bit too hard. They have happy hour each night and have music playing in the foyer louder than what you would normally expect for your average hotel foyer. Instead of a gym there was a sculpting room and instead of a kettle you got a yoga mat. If you wanted to have tea or coffee you had to go down to the foyer to get it. This may have encouraged people to mix and mingle but wasn't anywhere near as convenient for the tired traveller (especially if you were in your PJ's)!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Susan G,

Thanks for your review. Sounds like overall an awesome experience. For the complimentary morning coffee service, it does encourage a more social environment. In the future, we can totally accommodate having a coffee maker, delivered in room, prior to arrival. Just need to include it on your reservation requests.

Hope to see you soon,
Nairobi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Great location! A slow-pacced, 5-minute walk to Dupont Circle.

Lobby was not as sleek as pictured. During happy hour each day, it was filled with high-energy, fun-loving guests. With pet water and food bowls at the door, it felt a bit like I was visiting a friend's home.

Double room was great. Beds were comfortable. Loved the throw on each bed. My son loved all the movies on the TV.

Great concierge service. Friendly, efficient staff at the front desk. I had trouble with my toilet - maintenance person was great as well.

I would gladly visit again.

Room Tip: Singles were very small. I chose upgrade to double room and was happy with it.
Green Features: Liked the idea that it was a pet friendly hotel. No smell or order.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hi Lisa A,

Thank you for your review. Sounds like a very enjoyable experience. We do have quite the bustling lobby, especially during our nightly Evening Hosted Wine Reception. As for the room size comment, might I suggest booking our Executive Category for a future stay? For a small upgrade cost, you receive significantly more room.

Cheers,
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my son arrived at 2am in the morning and even at that time the staff were so helpful. The next day I enquired about booking baseball tickets and rachel the assistant manager did the whole thing for me even down to printing the tickets. She also organised the free bikes that this kimpton now provide. These were a great way of getting round the city and getting to see all the monuments in 1 day.
Our room was massive which was great for a city hotel. The location of the hotel is in a really vibrant area with nice local restauraunts instead of chain restaurants, lots of art galleries and close to the dupont metro. Its also close to a park if you fancy a run and a short walk to georgetown to shop and sip coffee and cakes in "baked and wired" on jefferson :)
We stayed in the Palomar while the world cup match of Belgium Vs. Usa was on and not only did they show it on their big screen but they also provided complimentary beer for the duration, along with the wine hour too....a very nice touch.
The pool and the gym both very clean and fresh fruit provided in the gym every morning too. Pool was a godsend for the hot summer days after cycling round washington.
Everyone that goes to Washington should stay here. .. Thanks Palomar for a great start to our holidays and ill definitely be booking with kimpton hotels in the future.
Louisa.