“East coast road trip ”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #36 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

D.C was one of our many stops during our east coast trip. We always stay at a Kimpton hotel because of our 2 furbabies. The Palomar was great. Close to many restaurants and DuPont fountain park. Our room was clean and service was very friendly. This would be out 3rd Kimpton hotel we've stayed in and as always, we are never disappointed.
I would have given them 5 stars but it took the valet/doorman awhile to notice us even though we were parked right in front of the hotel lobby. He actually ignored us and went to greet a car that just pulled up next to us. He eventually got to us.

Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I was recently in DC and booked into this hotel by the organizer of a conference I was attended. I was expecting a great hotel based on the hotel's website and some reviews I read. I was very disappointed!

First, the room I was given had a musty smell but since it was for just one night I said OK I can deal with this.

Second, the bathroom looked clean at first glance but upon closer inspection and use it was clearly NOT clean. There was hair and other debris all over the floor, sink, counter and tub. Not to mention the sink was cracked and should be replaced.

Third, I did not find the price of this hotel to be worthy of the value I received. I have stayed at several other DC hotels of comparable price and found those other locations to be far superior.

Fourth, my room key kept demagnetizing. On one of the many times I had to go to the front desk for a new key, I was asked for ID. This was after I had explained to the young man at the desk that I had only taken my key with me to the 'gym' and had no id on me.

Fifth, the buffet breakfast in the morning was average.

I am just not impressed with this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nelle_1234
MMJennings, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Nelle,

I'm so sorry. We had one night to make an impression and it was definitely the wrong one. The fabulous refresh of our restaurant Urbana is nearly complete as is our $750,000 elevator upgrade. We are a short time away from having the fastest elevators and best restaurant in Dupont Circle. I hope you will give us a second chance to show you why we have so many wonderful reviews on TripAdivsor. If you will contact me at mark.jennings@kimptonhotels.com I will personally handle your next visit in DC.

Mark Jennings

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for sight seeing in DC. It was an Awesome hotel. Loved the large queen room. Nice to have extra space. The only complaint is I wish it was closer to sights. It is about a 3 mile walk to sights. It is a doable walk which we did many times and cabs and metra are close by if you want to go that route. Hotel restaurant is closed for remodeling, wish I would have known about that, but it wouldn't have made a difference in our stay really. Did get burgers for room service and they were delicious!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank beth m
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Great location and a great pool area for our two kids . We enjoyed our stay a lot and it is close to metro and a lot of great restaurants. So can fully recommend this hotel. A lot of sightseeing and then relax at pool in the afternoon. Perfect:-)

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We booked a large, double queen room for the whole family - parents and two teenagers - and were happy (and relieved) to find big beds and a spacious room, so it wasn't as uncomfortably intimate as we had feared. We had a problem operating the TV and a technician was sent up immediately; the desk staff, driver and bellhops were friendly and helpful. We liked the well-equipped fitness room but my personal favorite was the wine and snacks served in the lobby in the early evening - a great place to meet with friends in town before heading out for dinner at Dupont Circle. Prices on the room service/restaurant are a little high but we found everything else just great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Have stayed in Kimpton Hotels before, and like the others, this one was great! Booked this room at a fantastic rate through Hotels tonight, which guaranteed a room for 2 people. We were originally given a king bed, but they gladly upgraded us to a deluxe queen room for the same price. The room was one of the largest I have ever stayed in and the decor was hip and trendy. We missed the cocktail hour, so they gave us drink coupons for a glass of wine at the bar, which was great since we were celebrating a 21st birthday! Location is excellent, with plenty of food choices and the metro only 2 blocks away. Will definitely stay again next time in DC.

Room Tip: Be sure to join the Karma rewards program for free wifi.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mindi P
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Billed as a luxury hotel, the little things matter when you're in that category. Attractive lobby, good location, friendly employees, but first impression of room marred by toilet paper in the toilet, and a short hair prominently remaining on the side of the bathtub. Room was small, which I could understand if the hotel was full, but it didn't appear to be, leaving me with the feeling we were being punished for using a last-minute 3rd party discount booking site, rather than via the hotel. And Kimpton's policy of not giving you credit for the stay with their frequent guest program when you book via a 3rd party discount site is downright unfriendly and makes me not want to stay with them in the future. A guest is a guest, no matter how they booked the room, I would think. In short, this wasn't a bad hotel, but enough little things wrong to make me think of other hotel options for my next visit to DC.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GJ63
MMJennings, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

The little things do count. I have followed up with the Housekeeping team. We do encourage out guests to book directly with us and there should not be any published rates on other sites that are less than ours. I promise if you find one that is lower that we will match and give you $25 food and beverage credit. Don't forget that Kimpton Karma members also get a $10 bar credit for every stay. I'd be happy to book you again myself. Don't hesitate call the hotel and ask for me.

Mark Jennings