“Fantastic off-Mall location, list of kudos...but not perfect”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #36 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was my first stay in a Kimpton but I would definitely stay at the chain again...probably the best chain hotel I've been to.

Room-wise, things were very nice. The room was average-sized, but the bathroom was big - the floor space in the bathroom was at least 60% of the room. The sink faucet was pretty, but splashed water all over the place...minor quibble.

I've been to DC almost 10 times on business, and Palomar's off-Mall location was brilliant. If you've never been to DC, the sights are quite close by and you may prefer something near the monuments, but if you've had your fill of said monuments, this hotel's area let's you see DC as a neighborhood. Literally 20 interesting restaurants within 3 blocks of the front door; and 100 more beyond. Just a great, GREAT area - and safe. And free dog bowls/treats for pets (no charge for pets staying BTW), and free wine for the humans at 5 pm...apres ski without the ski!

The front staff were energetic and helpful. The property and rooms were nicely appointed without being overdone. They even have a free bike you can take to tool around the neighborhood.

On the downside, and this is nitpicking, there was a THICK film of dust on the glass shelf where the TV is....I would have expected better in that department as even Best Western does better. a small thing but disappointing since you want to like this place. Also, and this is NOT NITPICKING, the door to my room was left ajar after being turned over. I noticed that my lock stuck a bit and if left to close on its own weight, the door would rest open. Checking the lock is a simple thing and I hope their CQI process catches this. I came back from my meeting and simply pushed my door open, but fortunately, my room was off the beaten path...still though.

Also on the down side, the Business Center print policies were pretty heinous. The cost per page is bogus, and my first prints came out wrong because of the proprietary software...at least my employer pays for it in the end.

I urge anybody reading to stay at a Kimptom. It really was a cut above the normal hotel, and even boutique hotel, experience. This was a great place and a great experience.

Room Tip: You won't necessarily get gorgeous views but that's OK. Some rooms face the pool, others th...
1  Thank Lorrin K
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for business from July 29-August 2, 2014. I really wanted to love this hotel. The lobby is beautiful and the front desk staff are really accommodating.

Location: The hotel is in a great location because Dupont Circle has several restaurants and shops open pretty late. The hotel is about two short blocks to the redline metro which can take you anywhere in the District. It's also very safe to walk around in this neighborhood. The hotel is close to several banks and a CVS for those items that you forgot or over the counter drugs you might need. Depending on traffic, it's about a 20-30 minute cab right from National Airport. It's an easy walk to Georgetown.

Hotel: The room is very spacious with modern and practical furniture. For example, the bed is super plush but not too low and uncomfortable like some modern furniture. Depending on where your room is positioned, the natural lighting can make a difference. I was facing the pool, and my room was relatively dark. The front desk staff was very helpful. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. They served free wine and cocktails I believe from 5-6 (check with the front desk). There were plenty of cabs in front of the hotel in case you don't do metros (which is a mistake in my opinion because DC traffic is no joke). The gym has everything you need and more. Even though we had great weather, I didn't use the pool but it looked really nice and several people took advantage of it.

I have two complaints about this hotel during my stay: 1) poor housekeeping and 2) noise level from other hotel guests. Housekeeping was extremely disappointing. When I arrived, several pieces of hair (from someone else) were on the bathroom floor and tub. It's like they didn't bother sweeping and moping the floor. One of the trash cans was not taken out one day. 2) The hotel guests across from my room were having a party on Friday night. Several visitors (at least 15-20) were coming in and out of the room all night. They were also making all kinds of noises so loud that I can hear them from way across the hall. I called the front desk at 1am and again at 3am. I had a total of 2 hours of sleep. The front desk was responsive every time I called, and I heard security tell them to cut it out. I only wish that security checked the floor frequently to ensure that this didn't happen throughout the night. This was the only night I did not have a restful stay.

Food: The hotel has a restaurant inside it is called Urbana. It's under construction right now, but it was one of my go to places when I lived in DC. I highly recommend their pizzas and cocktails especially for happy hour. I did not try the hotel's room service. For breakfast, I walked across the street to Bagel etc. They have fresh bagels and any type of breakfast for very cheap (cash only). There's a Starbucks on the same block as the hotel.

I have mixed feeling about the Palomar Washington DC. I'm hoping that my not so great of a stay this past week was just a one time occurrence where the housekeeping was having an off week and the hotel guests are not this obnoxious. Again, the staff and location are really great so I would try this hotel again.

2  Thank Pr0Jettser
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Lovely hotel in excellent location close to DuPont Circle. Rooms are large, clean and beautifully appointed. Everything about this hotel is quality, I really didn't want to leave and go home, our room was so large and comfortable. Loved the fun leopard print bath robes. Unfortunately, the restaurant really lets it down. The tables were battered and chipped, the upholstery on the chairs and bench seats was worn and in need of re-upholstering. However worse than this, they were dirty. The chair frames and table pedestals were thick with dust and debris. We mentioned this on 2 separate occasions to the breakfast hostess and on a third occasion to the restaurant manager. Nothing had been done by the time we left so with such a slovenly attitude to cleanliness in a public area, it made us wonder about the quality of hygiene in the kitchen.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed in adjoining rooms on the 10th floor for two nights. Rooms are very large and well appointed. The pool is small, but the kids had a great time. If you do decide to use the pool, note that you will only get sun in the middle of the day. At this time, the hotel's restaurant and bar are closed, but they do have a "pop-up bar" available in the evening. A special thanks to Kelly at the front desk....she is awesome!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel is located right next to Dupont Circle. Easy to get the metro from the airport to the hotel. Easy to get anywhere. I greatly enjoyed it. Was easy walk to Georgetown and to the metro to sightsee your heart out. Rooms where nice and big and quiet. Work out facility was great as well. A+++

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Palomar Hotel when recently on a business trip to DC.

Good spot with clean rooms, excellent gym and funky zebra/leopard pattern robes! Pool is small ...but otherwise very nice.

The reception each night is fun and the wine excellent! Friendly staff.

It's a little out of the action, but if your looking for a clean, modern boutique hotel with funky robes..this is the place for you!

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 4 August 2014

As seems to be the consensus with these reviews, Hotel Palomar has a fabulous location.

Dupont Circle has a great neighborhood feel to it, and is close proximity to everything in DC. Just within a block or two of the hotel, there's multiple coffee shops (Starbucks, SoHo, le Pain Quotidien), a popular Sunday brunch spot (Scion), a great little pizza/salad place with an extensive beer list (Pizzeria Paradiso), several ethnic restaurants, a CVS, a market, as well as a beautiful Sunday farmers' market, and more.

If you don't mind a walk, Georgetown (with all of its fabulous shopping) is a leisurely 20 minute walk, and the Mall/Smithsonians are about an hour's walk from the Palomar (really not too bad, a lovely walk down Connecticut Avenue to the White House). There's also a few lesser-known attractions right near the Palomar, including Huerich House, the "Brewmaster's Mansion" (reserve online for your 1 hour tour).

The Palomar itself is quirky. The hotel robes are zebra-print, so it's rather funny to see numerous people in the hallways walking to/from the pool wearing zebra robes. Apparently there's a yoga mat in every closet, which I thought was very funny, considering that our room was so small there was literally no room to roll out the mat. Our room, without a doubt, was the smallest hotel room we've ever stayed in. We couldn't get from one end of the room to the other without climbing over the bed. Little things seemed inconsistent -- we either had no soap left in the room by the housekeeping staff, or literally a pile of soaps and shampoos thrown in a heap.

We unfortunately didn't experience the good service mentioned by other reviewers. Our one real interaction with the concierge was on a morning that we were expecting a package to be delivered. We asked the concierge and his reply was, "I don't know, I just got here," and then a woman at the desk snapped, "It arrived when we had five people in line and we couldn't call your room." Yikes.

The major disappointment we had was with the hotel pool. From the Palomar's website, the pool looks like an urban oasis (similar to the Colonnade's gorgeous rooftop pool in Boston). So this trip to DC was intended as a little urban R&R, and I expected to spend part of every day lounging by the pool. The Palomar's pool is definitely not as advertised. The pool is on the second floor, so while it is outside, it's surrounded by tall buildings, so there is zero view and apparently zero sun to be found. The pool is quite large for the space, which means that the patio surrounding the pool is minuscule. Good luck finding an available lounge chair, and good luck keeping your laptop/devices dry as you're sitting so close to the edge of the pool that you're being continuously splashed by kids jumping in the pool. Oh well.

So all in all, the Palomar is in a great location, and we found it to be on the low end of reasonably priced for DC, so I suppose you get what you pay for.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple