“Chic Dupont Circle Hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Dili, East Timor
“Chic Dupont Circle Hotel”
Reviewed 28 January 2009

The Hotel Palomar is my favourite place to stay in DC. I have stayed there many times for work and have always been very satisfied with the service, design and comfort of the rooms.
The Palomar is chic in an imitation W Hotel-style way, but pulls it off better than most of the Kimpton hotels manage to do.

The last time I stayed there I had a group booking for 13, and all of my guests were very impressed by the hotel. Additionally, I was upgraded to a suite which was a nice surprise, although I had far too much space in the suite all by myself and didn't know what to do with it all!

The hotel is very well located, close to the Dupont Circle metro station, and with lots of cafes and restaurants nearby. The evening wine hour is a nice touch, although most nights I miss it as I don't get back to the hotel until after 6.00pm. I wish it ran to 7.00pm!

• Liked — Chic design and good service
  • Disliked — No views
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank salbolt
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 18 February 2009
Hello Salbolt.

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that this is your favorite hotel in DC. We will continue to work hard to keep it that way! Thank you for staying and bringing friends. We appreciate it and hope you can come back and visit again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
boston
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Everything about our stay here was great. What a huge room for a city. Four of us stayed in this two bed room without ever feeling cramped. The staff was very accommodating and the coffee each morning and wine reception each evening was a nice bonus. Little to no noise from room to room. Nice tv with a dvd player which was a nice bonus for a girls weekend with a three night stay. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Hello kbmBoston!

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that everything about your stay was great. I am happy the staff made such a positive impression on you. Thank you for staying and please do come back and stay again soon!
Reviewed 22 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar over Christmas 2008 and we really enjoyed our stay.

Not only were the rates very reasonable for what we got, but we took advantage of the Kimpton Hotel's upgrade standby programme and we were able to be upgraded for a mere $15 extra a night which we loved.

We stayed in one of their King Spa rooms and were very impressed by the sheer size of the room! A lovely comfy big bed, spacious living area, great writing desk, a double spa bath in the big bathroom and a walk-in wardrobe. There was no view (apart from of the apartments next door) but we just kept the blinds shut and basked in the luxuriousness of our room.

The standard of the service was fantastic also. Everyone we dealt with was so respectful and helpful and actioned any request immediately. We were incredibly touched when we were presented with a gift of complimentary chocolates from the hotel on Christmas Day also - such a thoughtful gesture!

My only small negative points are that the lighting the room wasn't brilliant, even with all the lamps on it was a little dim (apart from the bathroom which was startlingly bright by comparison!) and all the lamps also had to be switched on individually which was a bit of a nuisance. Our room service breakfast on Christmas Day was hugely over-priced and the servings were tiny. We had complimentary (or $1) breakfast in the Urbana Restaurant every morning which, although the service was excellent, wasn't really anything to write home about as it was only a choice of muffins, toast or croissants and you still needed to order it as opposed to being able to help yourself to a breakfast spread. Suppose we shouldn't expect much considering we only paid $1 for it though!

However, my husband and I still thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Palomar, we will definitely be recommending it to people and will hopefully get the chance to stay in it again!

• Liked — Brilliant service & large room
  • Disliked — Small Breakfasts
2 Thank KiwiBex1
Hello KiwiBex1

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. We appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts and feelings about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and liked the large and luxurious room. I hope that you will be able to return to us again soon!
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed 21 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar for one night in early December 2008. We wished we'd booked at least one more night. The hotel was incredibly beautiful, stylish and exceeded our expectations in decor and amenities. I have stayed at several Kimpton hotels because I am an In Touch member, but this one was by far the nicest one yet. The lobby has a blazing double-sided marble fireplace, banquettes and cozy seating areas. The little complimentary happy hour they have at all the hotels was again, by far, the best one we've been to yet - very elegant, well-stocked and orderly even with tons of people pouring in to check in for the busy weekend. The staff was helpful, friendly and courteous, helping us with directions and restaurants. The room was well-appointed, but the bathroom a little small and the vessel sink, while beautiful, took up the whole countertop. My only negative comment. Our reservation came with 2 free metro passes. Worth their weight in gold! The metro is clean, quiet and safe. I highly recommend this hotel and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — The attention to detail
  • Disliked — the vessel sinks, dark entryway
Florida
Reviewed 8 January 2009

Stayed several nights at this hotel. Found the location very good - close to a good selection of restaurants and a Metro station. Felt safe walking in the area after dark. Our room was large with a very comfortable bed and chairs. Enjoyed the wine reception at 5pm each day. The hotel is pet friendly so expect to see dogs in the lobby. All we met were well-behaved and charming. Had daily interactions with the front desk and found the staff to be exceptional. They were friendly, helpful, and courteous. Will plan to stay at this hotel again. Only complaint is the lack of a coffee maker in the room. Coffee was available in the lobby in the morning but a coffee maker in the room is my preference.

• Liked — Comfortable room and bed
  • Disliked — No coffee maker in the room
  • Stayed December 2008
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Palomar for 3 nights. I booked an Executive King room directly through the hotel's website.

Pros: Enjoyed the location and proximity to the Metro. The evening reception is nice. Plenty of wine and people seemed to mingle. The room was large.

Cons: Tiny window hidden behind a column meant that you could not see the window from either the bed or the sitting area. This made the room feel like a very large, very dark closet. Room was above an alley that was full of beeping service trucks in the middle of the night. Front desk staff seemed fairly unhappy, bordering on unfriendly.

My unhappiness with the hotel is almost entirely due to the room. I think if I had been in a room on the street-side of the hotel I'd probably give it at least 4 stars.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tiny window
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank timer13
Kimpton_Manager, Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 16 February 2009
The Hotel Palomar DC appreciates any guest feedback so that we can review the particulars of a guest's experience, and take steps to avoid similar situations in the future. It is our goal that this continous cycle of improvement will benefit all future guests.

Hotel Palomar DC
NY
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Based on the reviews, my husband and I stayed for 2 nights over New Years Eve. Very small but comfortable room. I was concerned that it might be a noisy given that it was New Years Eve, but was pleasantly surprised that the noise was kept to a minimum. Staff was very warm and helpful.... and aside from delays trying to retrieve our car from the valets (again, it was New Years and very busy), we were very pleased.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room was small, though comfortable
1 Thank SueSt