“Very good hotel and very good service”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #30 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
East Lansing, Michigan
“Very good hotel and very good service”
Reviewed 1 March 2009

My wife and I frequently travel to Washington on business. We decided to travel as tourists this trip. We decided to stay at the Palomar because of price, amenities (we booked a spa suite) and location. It definitely is a modern/trendy type of hotel. The staff was pleasant and accomodating. We had one complaint - after spending most of the day out as tourists, we arrived to a room that had not yet been serviced. We expected that 6 hours of a vacant room during the day would have been sufficient to allow the staff to service the room. A large (and I mean hundreds) of young college students booked the hotel for a "scholarship dinner." They were all very well-mannered, but LOUD. When we called the front desk at 10:30 p.m. asking for advice, the manager promptly booked us a room at another hotel. We were not charged for this night at either hotel. Within 20 minutes we were unpacked at another hotel and slept like babies. Overall, I would highly recommend the Palomar and would stay there on both business and pleasure.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 24 March 2009
Hello ELDerby,

Thank you for writing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you were able to visit the city on leisure this time and that you chose our hotel for your trip. I am glad that you liked the décor and amenities in the room and hotel. I must apologize for your room not being serviced in a timely manner. In addition, while it is not common to have the hotel full of loud college students I must apologize that you were relocated due to the noise. It seems this was a tarnish on an otherwise very good stay. I hope that you will consider returning to us again and we would certainly welcome you happily.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,118 helpful votes
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I was in Washington to visit friends and family over last weekend, and I needed to stay in a hotel in the city for one night. I usually stay in a Starwood or Hilton property for points or a Four Seasons/Ritz Carleton type property for a luxurious experience. Since I was only going to be there for a night, and I needed to be convenient to frieinds in Alexandria and in College Park, I ended up at the Hotel Palomar. I found it on expedia.com and had never heard of it or the chain before, but I had heard good things previously about the Kimpton chain. What good fortune that expedia search turned out to be.

For just $139, I had a deluxe room with a king bed. The room was quite sizeable, and the decor reminded me of a more plush W type hotel. Very chic, modern decor, but not nearly as minimalist as a W can sometimes be. I found the room very comfortable and stylish.

The hotel was extremely well-located, just a block or 2 above Dupont Circle, and about that distance from a the Dupont Metro station.

Service was impeccable for such a short stay. Room service was delivered to me after my check-in within about 20 minutes. They had forgotten my dessert, but brought it to me in about 10 minutes free of charge and with sincere apologies. Directions and suggestions for restaurants were given with enthusiasm and a sincere desire to make my stay pleasant and easy. Not bad for a single night guest.

All in all, I was extremely pleased. Fantastic value. Great decor. Nice service. Good location. I couldn't really complain about a thing.

For the price, you can't go wrong. I will definitely try to stay here again. Points be darned!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Bill R
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 9 March 2009
Hello Tar Heel Bill 92,

Thank you for staying with us and trying us out for the first time! We appreciate it! I am glad that you found the room comfortable and stylish. I am also glad you liked the location and that the service was impeccable. I am happy you feel the hotel is fantastic value and I hope you will come back and stay again soon!
Florida
Reviewed 28 February 2009

My wife and I recently vistied DC for the 2nd time. This time we used Traveolicty and we booked with the Palomar. We read all the reviews and the price was right. The motel staff was friendly and the rooms were large and very clean. The motel is located approx. 3 blocks from a Metro stop. There are 2 CVS stores within walking distance. When it comes to eating there are several places near by.

We had heard some stories about Dupont Circle but we enjoyed our stay and the area. I would recommend the Palomar to everyone and I would definately stay there again.

Hello mnytalks1,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you liked the hotel and would recommend the Palomar. I hope that the next time you are in town you will come back and stay with us. Thank you and have a nice day!
London, England
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Nice hotel, the decor might not be to everyone's taste as was quite dark. Convenient location, was 5 mins to the Metro. Convenient to shops, mini supermarket, pharmacy & Starbucks etc. Complimentary newspaper delivered to your door every day. Nice modern bathroom. Door & reception staff very helpful.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 3 March 2009
Hello CityGirl69,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the feedback. We are in a convenient location and modern amenities. I am glad that the staff were very helpful. I hope that the next time you find yourself in the United States that you will visit us again!
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Let me tell you that accommodations in DC are anything but affordable. I finally settled on this property because of location, pet friendliness, and price. I was very happy with my choice.

Upon arriving the room was not quite ready yet. We waited in the lobby and caught up on some emails using the hotels wireless. When our room was ready the bellman brought us up to see our huge and luxurious room. WOW!

The hotel is very pet friendly which is nice for those of us traveling with our pooches. But they also have a floor dedicated to travelers who do not want to be near dogs.

We dined on pizza at the hotel restaunts one night and it was delicious. The restaurant staff also gave us the name of another restaurant for another night.

The front desk and concierge were so helpful with everything. They even got me a dog sitter for the times we would be sightseeing.

I think I've had my fill of the DC area for awhile but I would highly recommend this hotel to travelers with or without pets looking for a luxury hotel at affordable rates.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Island_Gen
Hello Island_Gen.

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that after your research you decided that the Palomar was the right place for you! I am happy that you enjoyed your room and that the staff made a positive impression on your stay. I hope that you and your furry companion will come back and visit us again soon!
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 23 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar for two nights in Feb 2009. We wanted to stay in Dupont Circle and the Hotel Palomar was a great choice! After using AAA discount it was $125/night. Parking (valet only) was $34 dollars a day which seemed about average after pricing other hotels in the area. The rooms were wonderful as well - very clean and a decent size - the bedding was also very nice. There are plenty of places to eat near by and the hotel even has a restaurant attached - but was very crowded both nights. The metro was 2-3 blocks from the hotel and very easy to use. Overall we were very pleased with our experience at the Hotel Palomar. The staff was very friendly and helpful - thanks Ben!!!!

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 16 February 2009

My husband and I (in our mid-30s) decided to do a one-night local "getaway" and dropped our baby off at the grandparents. It was very exciting to be having some freedom for the first time since she was born almost 8 months ago. This hotel was perfect for that. It was modern and chic and in a fun area with great restaurants and lovely buildings. We were in a queen deluxe and it was huge and very nicely decorated. We got a great deal with AAA. I loved the light and fluffy comforter and the very soft and textured carpeting. We had a fantastic time overall and took a cab to Adams Morgan for dinner.

Here's my complaint. We were on the 7th floor. Room 726. It has double-layered connecting doors on both sides of the room to other rooms. We could hear entire conversations word for word and our neighbors were very inconsiderately loud, early in the morning. The doors also slam automatically and that was happening a lot throughout the morning up and down the hallway.

Next time, if I were to stay there again, I would ask if there are rooms without connecting doors because the noise is not blocked very well in those at all. I also forgot my earplugs, which is a must in any hotel.

Other than that, it's very chic and luxurious and we felt pampered staying there. Oh, one more thing that really surprised me for a hotel of this caliber. I had asked for a 10am wake up call and 10 am came and went with no call. I had already been up anyway, but at 10:20 am the front desk person called and apologized profusely saying they had gotten very busy. I found it unusual that they didn't have it on an automated system. Maybe it's there way of giving a "personal touch", but what if I had a plane to catch? I wasn't really upset, more surprised than anything...

I still think this is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in and am not trying to discourage anyone from going there. Just wanted to give that information. We may try one of the other Kimpton hotels in the area, just to see what another one is like.

• Liked — The size, decor and comfort of the room and location of the hotel
  • Disliked — the noise level from neighbors
    • Check-in / front desk