“Great hotel with a fabulous staff”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Grand Rapids, MI
“Great hotel with a fabulous staff”
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We just returned from a 3 night stay at Hotel Palomar. We traveled with our three children ages 12, 10, and 8. The Hotel Palomar's staff was fabulous. All of the extra touches made our stay a memorable one. There was free coffee and tea each morning and a free wine/beer happy hour each evening between 5-6 pm. The wine, olives and bread were much needed after touring D.C. with three kids all day. Each night before bed the hotel brought the kids a glass of milk and cookies. My kids loved that and looked forward to it each evening. We brought a bunch of DVD's with us for our long drive and there was a DVD player in the room. We were able to wind down at night with a movie we had brought along. A quick walk to Georgetown. Loved Georgetown and walking around Georgetown University's campus. A little far from the monuments etc... Easy access to the subway, but we cabbed it, which got a little expensive. Also felt the parking at $35 a night was expensive. Overall a great stay. Mike the general manager seemed like an amazing guy, he even serves drinks during happy hour. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 24 March 2009
Hello PeteAW,

Thank you for staying at the hotel and posting your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate it. I am glad that you thought the staf was “fabulous.” I see you were also able to make sure of the complimentary morning tea and coffee service as well as our hosted evening wine reception. Even the kids got a treat! I am glad that you were able to enjoy the cookies in the room and watch a movie on the DVD player. I am sure it was great for your entire family. I am glad that your and your family enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will be able to come back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
herndon, va
Reviewed 9 March 2009

My friends and I booked this hotel for a weekend evening night out for a Birthday Party in Dupont Circle. GREAT Location - close to all the resturants, wonderful little neighborhood. The hotel decor is lovely - trendy - and very clean. However, we booked a room with 2 beds and upon arrival were given a room with 1 bed. We had 4 girls with us, and told the hotel managers that we needed a room with more than 1 bed. The servicemen at the Front Desk did not seem to really care, they said they were booked and that was all there was too it. For a 4 star hotel i was shocked - frankly ive recieved better service at the Holiday Inn. We were told to come back @ midnight and at the hotel night managers "discretion" we may be put into a 2 bed room - did not happen. When i asked for extra pillows and blankets since people would be sleeping on the floor the manager seemed annoyed at the request. The Valet was extremely slow. There was no late checkout. The walls were thin and people were yelling through the walls. I just feel like the service was not up to par with some of the surround area's same star rating.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank reeseoreo
Thomas_Fraher, Thomas Fraher - Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 24 March 2009
The Hotel Palomar has apologized for the situations detailed in this posting, and looks forward to the opportunity to review this situation directly with guest, so as to earn back their trust in our products and services.
Toronto
Reviewed 6 March 2009

Good check in and very warm welcome from the doorman on arrival. Good location and a really nice contemporary feel about the hotel. Room was very well appointed, although a loud clanking noise in the hotel bedroom from the A/C every hour or so was somewhat disconcerting. Bathrooms well appointed with modern fixtures, although the showerhead was prone to falling out of its socket. Neither of these problems were sorted during my stay, but at least staff were helpful, if not able to solve the problems. Breakfast was good and service was excellent. Dinner was good but pricey in comparison to local good restaurants.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Hello Pepysp.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad that your check in was good and that the doorman was warm and welcoming. I apologize about the noise in the room and that the shower head was not secure and that these issues were not resolved during your stay. It is important to us to do our best to fix these issues. I am glad the staff were friendly and helpful. It seems that you enjoyed your breakfast and dining in the restaurant. Again I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay we will do our best to make sure your next stay is more comfortable. Please do come back again. Thank you.
Maine
Reviewed 2 March 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar the weekend of Feb 27th when we came to DC for a friend's baby shower. We stayed in a room with two queen beds - while the room was beautiful and quite spacious (with very comfortable beds) and the hotel is in a great, convenient location, we had a very unfortunate experience. A very large group of college kids were staying at the hotel, as well, and decided to stay up all night (until about 7 am) partying. This was the first time both my friend and I had been away from home on leisure since our children were born (my child is almost 2 1/2 and my friend's is over a year old) and we were hoping for a great night's sleep. When we went to bed at 11:30 pm, the hotel was noisy, but not too horrible. I was awoken at 12:30 am as the noise got louder. By 4 am, we could no longer take it and called guest services to complain. We ended up calling 5 times - with the last time guest services hanging up on me. Security was sent up twice. The first time, they told the kids to empty the hallways and go back to their rooms (and watched numerous kids enter the room next to ours without saying anything). This made the situation worse as now there were more kids in the room next to us partying. When security came the 2nd time, they apologized for bugging the kids and said "we know you want to stay up talking, but we are getting too many complaints from other guests". While this seemed to do the trick (it was 7 am), I was shocked that these disrespectful kids would get an apology when my friend nad I had not received the same. While the hotel refunded the expense of the room that night and treated us to breakfast the next day, which we appreciated, I was shocked at the incompetent handling of the partying kids the night before. I understand that hotels cannot always prevent these situations from happening, but they can deal with them seriously and prudently. The guest services staff told us each time we called that they would take care of the situation and send security up (over a 3 hour period of time), but only did so twice. It seemed that it was not until I commented that they had room policies about how many people can be in a room and this was obviously being violated that I felt the situation was handled seriously. The last time I spoke to a guest services rep, the man sighed loudly, told me someone would be sent up and hung up on me. The next morning, we were told about how much of a horrible situation it had been for the staff the night before as if that was supposed to make us feel better that they were unable to deal with the situation appropriately. I would love the return to the hotel based upon its other wonderful features, but I would seriously hesitate to do so in case another situation like this arose as I do not feel like the staff could deal with it appropriately. I feel the staff should have enforced the maximum number of people in a room policy or asked the college students to leave the hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank enjoyexploring
Thomas_Fraher, Thomas Fraher - Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 3 March 2009
Hotel Management has reached out to enjoyexploring to discuss issues further and to reach a favorable resolution.
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 1 March 2009

My wife and I frequently travel to Washington on business. We decided to travel as tourists this trip. We decided to stay at the Palomar because of price, amenities (we booked a spa suite) and location. It definitely is a modern/trendy type of hotel. The staff was pleasant and accomodating. We had one complaint - after spending most of the day out as tourists, we arrived to a room that had not yet been serviced. We expected that 6 hours of a vacant room during the day would have been sufficient to allow the staff to service the room. A large (and I mean hundreds) of young college students booked the hotel for a "scholarship dinner." They were all very well-mannered, but LOUD. When we called the front desk at 10:30 p.m. asking for advice, the manager promptly booked us a room at another hotel. We were not charged for this night at either hotel. Within 20 minutes we were unpacked at another hotel and slept like babies. Overall, I would highly recommend the Palomar and would stay there on both business and pleasure.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Hello ELDerby,

Thank you for writing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you were able to visit the city on leisure this time and that you chose our hotel for your trip. I am glad that you liked the décor and amenities in the room and hotel. I must apologize for your room not being serviced in a timely manner. In addition, while it is not common to have the hotel full of loud college students I must apologize that you were relocated due to the noise. It seems this was a tarnish on an otherwise very good stay. I hope that you will consider returning to us again and we would certainly welcome you happily.
Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,213 helpful votes
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I was in Washington to visit friends and family over last weekend, and I needed to stay in a hotel in the city for one night. I usually stay in a Starwood or Hilton property for points or a Four Seasons/Ritz Carleton type property for a luxurious experience. Since I was only going to be there for a night, and I needed to be convenient to frieinds in Alexandria and in College Park, I ended up at the Hotel Palomar. I found it on expedia.com and had never heard of it or the chain before, but I had heard good things previously about the Kimpton chain. What good fortune that expedia search turned out to be.

For just $139, I had a deluxe room with a king bed. The room was quite sizeable, and the decor reminded me of a more plush W type hotel. Very chic, modern decor, but not nearly as minimalist as a W can sometimes be. I found the room very comfortable and stylish.

The hotel was extremely well-located, just a block or 2 above Dupont Circle, and about that distance from a the Dupont Metro station.

Service was impeccable for such a short stay. Room service was delivered to me after my check-in within about 20 minutes. They had forgotten my dessert, but brought it to me in about 10 minutes free of charge and with sincere apologies. Directions and suggestions for restaurants were given with enthusiasm and a sincere desire to make my stay pleasant and easy. Not bad for a single night guest.

All in all, I was extremely pleased. Fantastic value. Great decor. Nice service. Good location. I couldn't really complain about a thing.

For the price, you can't go wrong. I will definitely try to stay here again. Points be darned!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Bill R
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this review, 9 March 2009
Hello Tar Heel Bill 92,

Thank you for staying with us and trying us out for the first time! We appreciate it! I am glad that you found the room comfortable and stylish. I am also glad you liked the location and that the service was impeccable. I am happy you feel the hotel is fantastic value and I hope you will come back and stay again soon!
Florida
Reviewed 28 February 2009

My wife and I recently vistied DC for the 2nd time. This time we used Traveolicty and we booked with the Palomar. We read all the reviews and the price was right. The motel staff was friendly and the rooms were large and very clean. The motel is located approx. 3 blocks from a Metro stop. There are 2 CVS stores within walking distance. When it comes to eating there are several places near by.

We had heard some stories about Dupont Circle but we enjoyed our stay and the area. I would recommend the Palomar to everyone and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Hello mnytalks1,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you liked the hotel and would recommend the Palomar. I hope that the next time you are in town you will come back and stay with us. Thank you and have a nice day!