“First rate hotel all around”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #34 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 March 2009

My wife and I just got back from a two-night weekend getaway at the Palomar. It's not cheap, but good value. Very varied clientele, nobody would feel out of place here except maybe a member of the 500 club. It has a genuinely friendly helpful staff, well appointed rooms, and a fine restaurant. I had not been in the Dupont Circle area since a demonstration there in 1968, and it's much more pleasant visiting than getting teargassed. Ask for a quiet room, some of the guests can get a little boisterous on the weekend. Our "in motion" room was quiet, very comfortable and well decorated, nice jacuzzi tub and an elliptical machine of all things. We did not bring a pet, but it is very pet friendly. The doorman even has a supply of dog biscuits and there is a dog bar by the entrance.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brophysr
Distribution_Mgr, Manager at the Hotel at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2009

Hello Brophysr,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. I am glad you had a two night getaway and thought it good value. I am glad that the staff were friendly and helpful. Thank you for staying and please come back again!

Reviewed 15 March 2009

My wife and 12 yr old stayed here for leisure in mid-March. The property is very chic and urban, and the rooms are incredibly spacious. The staff is efficient and courteous. We had a fabulous Hotwire rate ,and chose the hotel because of it's proximity to Dupont Circle and the Metro Station. The artwork and architecture in the hallways and lobby is wonderful, and the hotel seems to draw a diverse mix of young people. The attached bar/restaurant (Urbana), was jumping the evening we visited. While the rooms are huge, the bathroom is surprisingly small. The fitness room was well-appointed and was visited by staff during my workout (to refresh towels, etc.) The breakfast bill was over $60 for the three of us. I recommend going to the Luna Grill just down the street on Connecticut Ave. NW. Oh...almost forgot...they allow dogs, which is not a problem for us. We made friends with 2 friendly, fabulous dogs while there!

Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2009

Hello JAKandBarney,

Thank you for bringing your family to stay with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad that you thought the hotels was “very chic and urban” and the rooms “incredibly spacious.” I am happy you got a great rate with Hotwire and found the location suitably convenient to Dupont Circle. It seems that you were able to make other friends while staying with us even if they were friendly furry companions. We pride ourselves on being pet friendly. Thank you for staying with us and do come back and visit us again soon! Have a nice day!

Reviewed 10 March 2009

We just returned from a 3 night stay at Hotel Palomar. We traveled with our three children ages 12, 10, and 8. The Hotel Palomar's staff was fabulous. All of the extra touches made our stay a memorable one. There was free coffee and tea each morning and a free wine/beer happy hour each evening between 5-6 pm. The wine, olives and bread were much needed after touring D.C. with three kids all day. Each night before bed the hotel brought the kids a glass of milk and cookies. My kids loved that and looked forward to it each evening. We brought a bunch of DVD's with us for our long drive and there was a DVD player in the room. We were able to wind down at night with a movie we had brought along. A quick walk to Georgetown. Loved Georgetown and walking around Georgetown University's campus. A little far from the monuments etc... Easy access to the subway, but we cabbed it, which got a little expensive. Also felt the parking at $35 a night was expensive. Overall a great stay. Mike the general manager seemed like an amazing guy, he even serves drinks during happy hour. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family

Hello PeteAW,

Thank you for staying at the hotel and posting your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate it. I am glad that you thought the staf was “fabulous.” I see you were also able to make sure of the complimentary morning tea and coffee service as well as our hosted evening wine reception. Even the kids got a treat! I am glad that you were able to enjoy the cookies in the room and watch a movie on the DVD player. I am sure it was great for your entire family. I am glad that your and your family enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will be able to come back again soon!

Reviewed 9 March 2009

My friends and I booked this hotel for a weekend evening night out for a Birthday Party in Dupont Circle. GREAT Location - close to all the resturants, wonderful little neighborhood. The hotel decor is lovely - trendy - and very clean. However, we booked a room with 2 beds and upon arrival were given a room with 1 bed. We had 4 girls with us, and told the hotel managers that we needed a room with more than 1 bed. The servicemen at the Front Desk did not seem to really care, they said they were booked and that was all there was too it. For a 4 star hotel i was shocked - frankly ive recieved better service at the Holiday Inn. We were told to come back @ midnight and at the hotel night managers "discretion" we may be put into a 2 bed room - did not happen. When i asked for extra pillows and blankets since people would be sleeping on the floor the manager seemed annoyed at the request. The Valet was extremely slow. There was no late checkout. The walls were thin and people were yelling through the walls. I just feel like the service was not up to par with some of the surround area's same star rating.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank reeseoreo
Thomas_Fraher, Thomas Fraher - Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2009

The Hotel Palomar has apologized for the situations detailed in this posting, and looks forward to the opportunity to review this situation directly with guest, so as to earn back their trust in our products and services.

Reviewed 6 March 2009

Good check in and very warm welcome from the doorman on arrival. Good location and a really nice contemporary feel about the hotel. Room was very well appointed, although a loud clanking noise in the hotel bedroom from the A/C every hour or so was somewhat disconcerting. Bathrooms well appointed with modern fixtures, although the showerhead was prone to falling out of its socket. Neither of these problems were sorted during my stay, but at least staff were helpful, if not able to solve the problems. Breakfast was good and service was excellent. Dinner was good but pricey in comparison to local good restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business

Hello Pepysp.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad that your check in was good and that the doorman was warm and welcoming. I apologize about the noise in the room and that the shower head was not secure and that these issues were not resolved during your stay. It is important to us to do our best to fix these issues. I am glad the staff were friendly and helpful. It seems that you enjoyed your breakfast and dining in the restaurant. Again I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay we will do our best to make sure your next stay is more comfortable. Please do come back again. Thank you.

Reviewed 2 March 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar the weekend of Feb 27th when we came to DC for a friend's baby shower. We stayed in a room with two queen beds - while the room was beautiful and quite spacious (with very comfortable beds) and the hotel is in a great, convenient location, we had a very unfortunate experience. A very large group of college kids were staying at the hotel, as well, and decided to stay up all night (until about 7 am) partying. This was the first time both my friend and I had been away from home on leisure since our children were born (my child is almost 2 1/2 and my friend's is over a year old) and we were hoping for a great night's sleep. When we went to bed at 11:30 pm, the hotel was noisy, but not too horrible. I was awoken at 12:30 am as the noise got louder. By 4 am, we could no longer take it and called guest services to complain. We ended up calling 5 times - with the last time guest services hanging up on me. Security was sent up twice. The first time, they told the kids to empty the hallways and go back to their rooms (and watched numerous kids enter the room next to ours without saying anything). This made the situation worse as now there were more kids in the room next to us partying. When security came the 2nd time, they apologized for bugging the kids and said "we know you want to stay up talking, but we are getting too many complaints from other guests". While this seemed to do the trick (it was 7 am), I was shocked that these disrespectful kids would get an apology when my friend nad I had not received the same. While the hotel refunded the expense of the room that night and treated us to breakfast the next day, which we appreciated, I was shocked at the incompetent handling of the partying kids the night before. I understand that hotels cannot always prevent these situations from happening, but they can deal with them seriously and prudently. The guest services staff told us each time we called that they would take care of the situation and send security up (over a 3 hour period of time), but only did so twice. It seemed that it was not until I commented that they had room policies about how many people can be in a room and this was obviously being violated that I felt the situation was handled seriously. The last time I spoke to a guest services rep, the man sighed loudly, told me someone would be sent up and hung up on me. The next morning, we were told about how much of a horrible situation it had been for the staff the night before as if that was supposed to make us feel better that they were unable to deal with the situation appropriately. I would love the return to the hotel based upon its other wonderful features, but I would seriously hesitate to do so in case another situation like this arose as I do not feel like the staff could deal with it appropriately. I feel the staff should have enforced the maximum number of people in a room policy or asked the college students to leave the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank enjoyexploring
Thomas_Fraher, Thomas Fraher - Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2009

Hotel Management has reached out to enjoyexploring to discuss issues further and to reach a favorable resolution.

Reviewed 1 March 2009

My wife and I frequently travel to Washington on business. We decided to travel as tourists this trip. We decided to stay at the Palomar because of price, amenities (we booked a spa suite) and location. It definitely is a modern/trendy type of hotel. The staff was pleasant and accomodating. We had one complaint - after spending most of the day out as tourists, we arrived to a room that had not yet been serviced. We expected that 6 hours of a vacant room during the day would have been sufficient to allow the staff to service the room. A large (and I mean hundreds) of young college students booked the hotel for a "scholarship dinner." They were all very well-mannered, but LOUD. When we called the front desk at 10:30 p.m. asking for advice, the manager promptly booked us a room at another hotel. We were not charged for this night at either hotel. Within 20 minutes we were unpacked at another hotel and slept like babies. Overall, I would highly recommend the Palomar and would stay there on both business and pleasure.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Hello ELDerby,

Thank you for writing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you were able to visit the city on leisure this time and that you chose our hotel for your trip. I am glad that you liked the décor and amenities in the room and hotel. I must apologize for your room not being serviced in a timely manner. In addition, while it is not common to have the hotel full of loud college students I must apologize that you were relocated due to the noise. It seems this was a tarnish on an otherwise very good stay. I hope that you will consider returning to us again and we would certainly welcome you happily.