“Beautiful hotel; great location for nightlife”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #36 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Beautiful hotel with a hip and vibrant feel. My room was ready early and check in was a breeze. My room was oversized and was very tastefully furnished. Even the bathroom was large with lots of counter space. The bed was super comfortable and the linens and towels were top notch. Housekeeping was excellent. The location can't be beat: just off Dupont Circle within walking distance of the Metro and tons of great restaurants and bars. I've read other reviews that said it was noisy, but I was there on the weekend and never had a problem. Other pluses include the complimentary WiFi, the morning coffee and tea service and the manager's evening reception which is a really fun way to end the day and begin the evening. The Urbana Happy Hour in the bar is also a great deal. It was too early in the season for the pool, but I can tell that would be a fantastic amenity as well. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2009

Hello tntpdx,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad that the hotel staff were able to get you into your room for an early check in. Our rooms are oversized and have great amenities. I am happy you enjoyed your room and the bed. The Hotel Palomar is right off Dupont Circle which makes it located close to many shops and also the metro. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC

Reviewed 26 April 2009

couldn't have asked for anything better. the hotel is very nice, with a modern design. the staff was friendly and let us check in early. the price we got on hotwire.com was quite a deal! it was in a great safe neighborhood, near lots of restaurants, and near a subway stop. our room was extremely clean, large, and nicely furnished. the nightly reception in the lobby with free wine/beer/soda/snacks was lots of fun. and i loved the lemon soap and toiletries they provided in the bathroom! also free wifi of course and a gym, which we didn't get to check out. i think they have a pool too but i guess it was too cold. only thing: beware that parking is $34 a night.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Distribution_Mgr, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2009

Good Day iselynjenniep!

I am glad that you really enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you were able to check in early. The neighborhood is great! The last time I went to the Palomar someone in sales recommended a bagel shop across the street where the Turkey Avocado bagel is amazing. I feel like there are so many little places like that around the Palomar to discover. Thank you for staying with us and please come back again and join us soon!

Reviewed 25 April 2009

We had previously stayed at a Kimpton in San Francisco and really enjoyed the experience. Same outcome here. Location is Very good with plenty of restaurants close by along with the Metro. Felt safe at night. The hotel restaurant was fine (used it on first night when we were Jet lagged). Didn't go for b/fast (due to being warned off on Trip Advisor - apparently expensive). Room was not one of the huge ones but had good amenities (safe large enough to take my large old laptop). Very clean. All in all a good place to stay.

Hello MV21,

Thank you for returning to the Kimpton Hotels. We sincerely appreciate it. Again the neighborhood is great for restaurants and places to get to quickly if you are in a hurry. One of my other favorite quick grab-and-go places is Alberto’s pizza just down the road. They have the best jumbo slice in the city and they are open late. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes pizza! Thanks for staying and come back again soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2009

While I found the service at this hotel excellent, and the restaurant very good, I do have to highlight one issue: noise. I had to request to be moved to another room due to noise from air conditioning or machinery. This was facilitated immediately, but I was quite shocked that a hotel in the luxury bracket would consider this level of mechanical noise in guest rooms acceptable. I also noticed, like a previous guest, that noise from other rooms, banging doors, chairs scraping on the upper floors and lifts is clearly audible. Perhaps a bit more money spent on soundproofing rather than expensive finishes might be a more appropriate investment?

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Thomas_Fraher, Thomas Fraher - Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2009

Dear KAlcorn,

We are glad you enjoyed the service during your recent stay at the Hotel Palomar DC. Your feedback regarding the noise is valuable to us as we look to improve and upgrade different aspects of the hotel. We have already begun testing some sound proofing applications, to determine the effectiveness.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 19 April 2009

My wife and I highly recommend this hotel We stayed for 4 nights in mid-April. The staff was attentive, extremely friendly, and energetic.

One example struck me as a general indicator of their service standards: There are polite doormen who open and hold the front doors for the guests. At one point, the doorman was helping someone into a taxi, briefly leaving the door unattended. A guest was heading through the door, and briefly struggled his luggage. A nearby manager RAN to the door to assist. This crisp and enthusiastic service was typical of the attitudes we saw.

Before we got to Washington, we were slightly disappointed that the hotel was not in the Downtown area (which we knew when we made the reservations) - we thought that would put us out of the "action" of the city. However, it turns out that the hotel is located in a vibrant location, with lots of people on the streets at night, and right in the middle of interesting and original shops and restaurants. In addition, the Palomar is only a couple of blocks from the Metro, and Georgetown is a quick and interesting 15-20 minute walk. And one evening, they took us to our Georgetown restaurant in the hotel's car - which was unexpected and appreciated.

The room was not super large, but it was very clean, with a good-sized bathroom, cool animal-themed robes, and a large LCD TV (plus a DVD player).

The high-speed Wi-Fi was free and worked flawlessly, which was much appreciated!

There was also a free wine and munchy reception in the lobby between 5:00 - 6:00, which was very cool!

Restaurant recommendations:

Teaism: Excellent for teas, coffee, and fresh, original, organic-based foods. The Cilantro Scrambled Eggs with Tea Cured Salmon was totally delicious.

Zatinya: Middle Eastern / Mediterranean menu. It's a trendy spot - so make reservations. You can also order from the full menu from a bar table (which we did). We order 5 or 6 tapas-styled dishes.

Le Pain Quotidien: Guidebooks call this "bakery / Belgian," but it is a great lunch spot, with extremely fresh and tasty dishes, prepared with great attention, and they use many low-sugar and organic ingredients. I wish we had one of these in Los Angeles.

Bodega Spanish Tapas & Lounge: Excellent tapas in an intimate, low-light room, that is long and narrow.

General Travel advice:

Plan ahead for visiting the Museums, Memorials, White House, and the Capitol. Even though most attractions are free, they run out of tickets very quickly, and require long waits if you want to try and get one of the few same-day tickets they hand out - particularly the Washington Monument and the Capitol (the White House requires you to contact your Congressperson's office months in advance, or submit online). Start researching the requirements for visiting these attractios at least 3 months before your trip - you can often reserved time-specific tickets on-line.

Needless to say, we had a great trip!

2  Thank Robert_MP
Thomas_Fraher, Thomas Fraher - Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2009

The Hotel Palomar DC prides itself on its Doormen Staff, which make such a positive and lasting impression on our guests. Our Dupont Circle neighborhood is an ideal location for taking in the best Washington, DC has to offer. Our room product and amenities will provide for a productive and relaxing stay.

Thomas Fraher - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2009

Hotel Palomar has everything. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in a great location (close to metro and very lively at night though not noisy), has the most wonderful staff, is very modern and has a lot of really nice extras such as complimentary wine in the lobby from 5pm-6pm everyday. After I booked the hotel I notice you could send requests to the concierge prior to your arrival so I sent them a note letting them know that we would be celebrating our daughter’s seven birthday while there. Well everyone and I mean everyone at the hotel went out of their way to make our daughter feel special. My daughter still can’t stop talking about it. After reading other reviews on trip advisor I had high expectations for our stay and I’m happy to say that the staff and the hotel far exceeded our expectations. This was one of (if not the best) hotel experience we ever had. I highly recommend this hotel and wouldn’t considering staying anywhere else if our travels once again take us to Washington D.C.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family

Hello vachkl,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Washington, DC. We are so very pleased you utilized our Concierge prior to your arrival to communicate about your daughter's 7th Birthday. Our team was so excited to WOW your daughter, and it is great to hear she is still talking about it. We are glad you enjoyed the various amenities of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 16 April 2009

Hip, clean, modern hotel very convenient to everything - Metro, restaurants, Georgetown (15- 20 minute walk), shops, galleries, bookstores. Beautifully decorated, friendly and accommodating staff. Fitness room was average size with weights, treadmills, and bike. The only problem my husband and I encountered were our neighbors. We could hear their conversation as if they were in our room. I don't think they were speaking sooo loud but we think the adjoining doors or walls were just a little too thin. We didn't think it was too much of a problem - we just left the tv on with the volume up higher than usual. Other than that, one of the best hotels we've stayed at.

I believe it's the little things that count, so one big plus was that they would print your boarding pass for free, or you could go to the business center and do so (which I did)..Oh and they accommodate dogs which we thought was pretty cool! In the closet, they had 2 cool robes - one leopard designed and one zebra designed. We've never seen that. Some other mini perks - Free tea and coffee from 6-9am. Free wine from 5-6pm. The front desk also said there is free wi-fi.

Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and would stay here again in Dupont Circle, but especially the Hotel Palomar.

Hello TrvLjunkiE,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad the hotel was hip, clean, modern and conveniently located. I know the staff will be pleased to hear that they made such a good impression on you. I am glad that you were also able to make use of some of the other hotel amenities. Next time you visit bring your friends and their pets! Have a nice day!