“Excellent Location, Extremely Clean, Well Decorated - You Can't Go Wrong w/ Hotel Palomar!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC
Ranked #40 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 May 2009

I just returned from an excellent stay at the Hotel Palomar in Washington DC. We arrived at the hotel 4 hours prior to check in. No attempt was made for an early check-in but they did gladly store our bags for us which worked out well. The concierge gave us directions and a map to the White House. It was about a 20 minute walk, not bad at all. After returning from a day of sight-seeing we checked in and got a room on the 9th floor. The entire hotel is decorated very modern with lots of interesting art work in the halls and lobby. Our room was very nice and very modern. We had a Queen room. The bed was covered with a crisp white duvet, and laying on it diagonally was a leopard print blanket. It also had 3 decorative throw pillows along with 4 regular bed pillows. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were probably the most comfortable I’ve ever had in a hotel! They seem to really be into animal prints here…the carpet was a muted animal print and the robes in the closet were animal print as well (with a note that they could be purchased for $120 each). The size of the room was fairly small but adequate for our needs as we really didn’t spend much time there. There was really no place to sit in the room except for the desk or the bed. Next to the right side of the bed was the mini bar which was well stocked but very expensive so we didn’t use it. On the left side was a nightstand which had a lamp and i-pod alarm clock! The nightstand also doubled as a light. We didn’t even realize until right before we left that the table actually lit up! I should also mention that every light in the room had a dimmer so you could regulate how bright you wanted it in the bathroom and in the room.

In addition to the robes in the closet there were also slipper socks, an umbrella and a safe. Luckily we didn’t need the umbrella but I thought it was really nice to have in case we did. The safe was large enough to hold my laptop.

The desk was very useful with several outlets that were easy to access for charging electronics. Wireless internet was FREE which seems to be very unusual in this area (a lot of reviews I read said a lot of hotels charge for it in DC). The TV was a good size flat screen. There were also several DC magazines in the room. The thermostat was digital and very easy to use so that the temperature was always comfortable in the room.

On to the bathroom….very modern, very clean, very nice. The provided hairdryer was much nicer than the common wall mounted hotel hairdryers. It was actually powerful and dried my hair quickly. The toiletries were all L’Occotane which was very nice (shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bar soap). Cotton balls and Q-tips were also provided. On the sink was a list of items available for free if you forgot something. The list was quite extensive with things such as a curling iron, straigtener, heating pad, fan and humidifier. The towels were plush and soft. There were just 2 minor annoyances about the bathroom…the electric outlets and the light switches were behind the hand towels and there was no fan which made it a little steamy.

I think the only thing I did not like about this hotel was the view from our room. We looked right into the other side of the hotel. We could not see one thing except for the building.

Our room was EXTREMELY clean, well decorated, comfortable and in a great location. The metro is just a couple blocks away and it was so convenient to use even to and from the airport. We bought daily passes for $7.80. We took it everywhere we went. I have to say the DC subway is the cleanest, easiest to use subway I have ever been on. One restaurant I would recommend is James Hoban’s Irish bar and grill which is right across from the Dupont Circle park. I would also recommend Cosi restaurant which is right by the metro and has great sandwiches. One place I would NOT recommend is Tangy Sweet yogurt. We stopped there on our last day and it was awful!

I would definitely stay here again and I would definitely highly recommend it to anyone. The only thing that would stop me from coming again is the price. We got a great deal on Priceline but the regular price is way out of our budget.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StephanieCincinnati
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2009

Hi StephanieCincinnati,

I am glad that you were able to store your bags and then head off to explore the city. It seems you liked the hotel décor and room amenities. I am glad that you were able to visit during your trip to Washington DC. Please come back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,543)

Reviewed 21 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from the 4th until the 7th of April this year. The building of The Palomar doesn't say much on the outside, it doesn't give you the impression that you are about to enter a great boutique hotel. Once inside, the small cozy lobby makes you feel right at home. Check in is very quick, they are really expecting your arrival and everything is ready for you (room, and all of your requests). They regularly have an offer that for a small extra amount you can get a better room (upon availability). We signed up and got a suite as requested.

Our suite was spacious, neat, very well equiped with a nice minibar, a long desk & a chair, ottoman, a nice long chair, flat TV, a DVD and a CD player. There was plenty of drawers and closet space to organize your belongings. The bathroom was huge, well lid and with very nice toiletries. They offer free wireless internet (make sure you get your user name and password from the front desk team).

Every day around 5:00 p.m., the hotel management organize a wine tasting. It's pretty much an occasion to get know everyone and have a relaxing time. For us it was a very good way of recharging our energies after a long sightseeing day.

Pets are welcome. If you are a dog lover, then this is your hotel. I had my concerns about going to a hotel that allowed pets, but this was not a problem whatsoever. We never had any pet related issues in our room or in any of the premises of the hotel. From my experience I can say the pets here behave very well.

Rooms wall are thin, if you get a loud neighbor, or persons with puppies; you might be able to hear them and this could be a little annoying to you. But I think with really loud neighbors this would be an issue at any hotel.

The location is very good. Somewhat far from the monuments and places of touristic interest, but very close to the embassies, and nice restaurants. The hotel is located in a very nice neighborhood called Dupont Circle. The area invites you to stroll around and enjoy the beautiful streets and the arquitecture of the old houses and buildings. There is a Starbucks Cafe close by where you can grab a bite for breakfast. The hotel restaurant is Urbana, it's very good and the room service is excellent (diligent and accurate). About four to five blocks from the hotel there is a metro station (Dupont Circle) and from there you can get to the Mall, museums, Arlington, and the rest of the city fast and cheap. Don't miss, I repeat, DO NOT miss the opportunity to go to Al Tiramisu. This is a northern italian cuisine restaurant. It is SUPERB!! Reservations are suggested, the front desk of the hotel will handle this for you.

Feel free to ask the concierge about any place you want to visit in Washington. He is good! (very very savy).

There is no complainst about this hotel. All Good. I would recommend it to anyone any day.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Telodigoluego

Hello Telodigoluego,

Thanks for joining us with your wife in April. I am glad you took advantage of our upgrade program and received the suite upon arrival. It seems you liked the room and the special amenities and services offered at the Kimpton Hotels. Thank you for your recommendation. Please come back again soon!

Reviewed 11 May 2009

Let me start by saying I reviewed every hotel in the DC area and settled on this one based on the Tripadvisor reviews, location, and kid friendliness.
Hotel Pro's:
*Great Location. Right off Dupont circle, it is a beautiful neighborhood with great restaurants nearby and just a lovely walk at any time.
*Hotel room is nicely decorated, I got the King Spa room which is roomy and the bathroom was nice, ample, and clean. L'ocataine products are good. Comfortable bed.
* Room service food is good, also there was a complimentary cookie and milk for my daughter.

Hotel Con's:
*The pool was closed and not very well maintained. The gym facility is very small.
*Parking valet is $35 per day and on one of the days it took over 45 minutes to get my car (their excuse was my car was being blocked by another car..)
*Hotel room: The lighting in the room is dark and dingy, the view from the window faced an apartment building, carpet in the room was a bit dirty for a 4 star hotel. Also we found some small red spot/stain on one of the sheets.

Overall I think for the price I payed for the room I could find a better hotel. Really the best thing is the great location. It was an average stay.

Restaurant Tips: Try teasim which is a few blocks away... Great breakfast and tea...we loved it every time!! Also Le pain quotedin in Georgetown is great.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Thomas_Fraher, Thomas Fraher - Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2009

Dear constantravel101,

We appreciate the comments on your recent stay at the Hotel Palomar DC. As you noted our location is ideal and our rooms are nicely appointed.

The hotel's pool is open Memorial Day to Labor Day. Your feedback about the fitness center equipment, guest room lighting and parking is greatly appreciated as it will assist us in improving our product and services.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 May 2009

This hotel is in the heart of Dupont circle. The local restaurants close later (like 10pm) and it is easy to find reasonable prices. Blocks from the metro. The community is very walkable. We traveled with teens and tried to avoid the bar area on the south part of the block which was very noisy and had alot of patrons just standing on the corner. This was in stark contrast to the lovely patio seating offered by neighboring restaurants& cafes.
Our soaps and lotions were not automatically refilled, we needed to request more (maybe a cost saving measure?). The complementary robes were not rehung, and not replaced when placed on the floor after use. The pool area is oddly located on the second floor and the lights were off. It seemed odd to have a closed pool during very humid weather (early May).
The happy hour was geared towards business travelers / adults. Overall, we have stayed at other hotels of this brand and may have expected more. I would recommend a different hotel if you are bringing kids. This usually excellent brand has several choices in the area.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Thomas_Fraher, Thomas Fraher - Hotel Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2009

Dear luvz_comps,

The Hotel Palomar DC certainly enjoys a central location with a cozy neighboorhood feeling that has convenient Metro access. The feedback about our Housekeeping Services is appreciated and has been reviewed so we may improve our services. The L'Occitane bath amenities should have been replaced automatically and the robes should have been hung and replaced accordingly. The pool is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, which coincides with the Kimpton Summer Playground program that is geared towards families. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2009

Beautiful hotel with a hip and vibrant feel. My room was ready early and check in was a breeze. My room was oversized and was very tastefully furnished. Even the bathroom was large with lots of counter space. The bed was super comfortable and the linens and towels were top notch. Housekeeping was excellent. The location can't be beat: just off Dupont Circle within walking distance of the Metro and tons of great restaurants and bars. I've read other reviews that said it was noisy, but I was there on the weekend and never had a problem. Other pluses include the complimentary WiFi, the morning coffee and tea service and the manager's evening reception which is a really fun way to end the day and begin the evening. The Urbana Happy Hour in the bar is also a great deal. It was too early in the season for the pool, but I can tell that would be a fantastic amenity as well. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2009

Hello tntpdx,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Washington DC. I am glad that the hotel staff were able to get you into your room for an early check in. Our rooms are oversized and have great amenities. I am happy you enjoyed your room and the bed. The Hotel Palomar is right off Dupont Circle which makes it located close to many shops and also the metro. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!

Reviewed 26 April 2009

couldn't have asked for anything better. the hotel is very nice, with a modern design. the staff was friendly and let us check in early. the price we got on hotwire.com was quite a deal! it was in a great safe neighborhood, near lots of restaurants, and near a subway stop. our room was extremely clean, large, and nicely furnished. the nightly reception in the lobby with free wine/beer/soda/snacks was lots of fun. and i loved the lemon soap and toiletries they provided in the bathroom! also free wifi of course and a gym, which we didn't get to check out. i think they have a pool too but i guess it was too cold. only thing: beware that parking is $34 a night.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Distribution_Mgr, Reservations Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2009

Good Day iselynjenniep!

I am glad that you really enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you were able to check in early. The neighborhood is great! The last time I went to the Palomar someone in sales recommended a bagel shop across the street where the Turkey Avocado bagel is amazing. I feel like there are so many little places like that around the Palomar to discover. Thank you for staying with us and please come back again and join us soon!

Reviewed 25 April 2009

We had previously stayed at a Kimpton in San Francisco and really enjoyed the experience. Same outcome here. Location is Very good with plenty of restaurants close by along with the Metro. Felt safe at night. The hotel restaurant was fine (used it on first night when we were Jet lagged). Didn't go for b/fast (due to being warned off on Trip Advisor - apparently expensive). Room was not one of the huge ones but had good amenities (safe large enough to take my large old laptop). Very clean. All in all a good place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Hello MV21,

Thank you for returning to the Kimpton Hotels. We sincerely appreciate it. Again the neighborhood is great for restaurants and places to get to quickly if you are in a hurry. One of my other favorite quick grab-and-go places is Alberto’s pizza just down the road. They have the best jumbo slice in the city and they are open late. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes pizza! Thanks for staying and come back again soon!